Eunny Jang!

This post has 55 Replies | 15 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 11
saitkin wrote
on Feb 28, 2014 10:48 AM

I wish Knitting Daily would just tell us why Eunny left. Kathleen has said she went to Craftsy. They never even said on the show or in the Interweave magazine why she left, unless I missed it somewhere. There are a lot of us who miss her and don't like the new format of the TV show , why not address it !!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Colchester wrote
on Feb 28, 2014 11:20 AM

I agree, but that's last on my list of concerns.  Just bring Eunny back!  The format with Vicki can't even being to compare in quality to the format with Eunny.  There's no  point in watching the show because the skills shared by a Master knitter are lost to a hostess showing and telling and talking on Skype...what's the point of watching! As already posted, I'm only aware of this knitting show and it's lost its appeal with this revamp....it was pointless to change and each segment is now pointless.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
DebraH@16 wrote
on Feb 28, 2014 5:54 PM

Yes, please bring Eunny back.  I watched a copy of shows and its a far cry from how Eunny taught.

You don't even get to see how they are starting or finishing the stitches that they show you and the time that is being spend on seeing someone on Skype you could use that time to actually teach someone new and exciting stitches.

Thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 2
bellevueliz wrote
on Mar 1, 2014 12:29 PM

I really miss Eunny and Clara Parks too!  The new format is very disappointing.  Vickie Howell is really cute, but I tune in for the knitting techniques, not to see blurry Skype interviews that mostly feature Vickie's face.  How about showing us the interviewees' studios rather than the webcam view of their face only?  The Tannis Gray segment is awkward and uncomfortable.  Since she doesn't/can't share product names or where to buy them, what's the point?  I loved the intelligent presentation by Eunny and her guests.  I looked forward to tuning in each week and now I can only hope that this new format will improve.

Liz in Bellevue

Not Ranked
Posts 1
digipookie wrote
on Mar 2, 2014 12:53 AM

I completely agree with this.  Vicki may be a fiber enthusiast but she is nowhere near the caliber of knitting and fiber expert that Eunny is.  The new format is indeed dumbed down.  Gone are the in depth lessons on technique, replaced by not-so-subtle product placement and simplistic explanations on basic techniques.  The video chat segments are pointless, out of focus interviews.  There used to be useful interviews with designers in which the designer or fiber expert would actually demonstrate techniques.  The tools segment is yet another not-so-subtle effort to sell product.  This is PUBLIC television, people, if the corporate sponsors are not good with a shout out before the show starts, oh well.  If I want to watch advertising, I can just go watch regular television.  There is nothing I can learn from Ms. Howell and will therefore stop watching this show and will remove it from the "suggested viewing" list I give out for the classes I teach.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
janey12 wrote
on Mar 2, 2014 7:36 PM

Last week (2/23/14) was the first time the revamped Knitting Daily was shown on our local PBS - the surprise was shocking!  Where was Eunny and Clara??  I remember Ms. Howell from Knitty Gritty and while it was an ok show, I thought it was a little 'giddy' and not a lot of challenging information was shared.  Perhaps that what the editors of Knitting Daily are trying to offer - basic information and not anything advanced.  I'm sure Eunny has no intention of returning to the KD show, which is our loss.  Clara -the type of information you shared with us was so helpful and I will miss you, too.  Eunny and Clara - I'll watch for you in another venue!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
credmiston wrote
on Mar 3, 2014 2:15 AM

I have attempted to watch the last 4 shows with Vicki.  They are awful.  Her presentations are simpleminded, neither she nor her guests teach new techniques,  they just follow a pattern.  I can follow a pattern!  I want the higher learning we were doing with Eunny and Clara.  What is the point of the blurry webcasts? To show she can use a computer?  I am extremely disappointed in the turn this show has taken.  Eunny and Clara had me buying baby alpaca and understanding why and how to differentiate the twists in the yarn and how to apply that to my ideas for projects.  The new staff is making acrylic crap with no thought to the audience they inherited.  We knitters are smart.  You can't dumb it down and expect us to stay.  I am gone!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Colchester wrote
on Mar 3, 2014 9:42 AM

I absolutely agree.  I just watched episode 903, Reversibility Counts with Eunny Jang, Kristin Omdahl, and Clara Parkes.  I couldn't help but think the Knitting Daily production staff needs to watch this episode and compare it to any Vicki Howell episode and make changes quickly to bring back a show that's worth watching and the devoted viewers they are rapidly losing.  There is no comparison to the quality of information presented by Eunny, Kristin, and Clara.  Clara's segment on buying locally and using specific yarns for specific projects had such depth of knowledge it made me sad to realize I would not get this quality information any longer from my favorite knitting program.  With Vicki's format I feel like I'm thumbing through a magazine with pretty pictures and those advertising inserts/cards that you throw out.  Seriously, Knitting Daily, you've replaced a top-class knitting show with useless fluff.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Karin Strom wrote
on Mar 4, 2014 5:04 PM

Wow, everyone!

Thanks so much for your forthright feedback on the new KDTV with Vickie Howell. Your input is important to us in evolving the new show. While we can't bring Eunny back, as she has moved on to other pursuits, we are making every effort to provide viewers with robust content while introducing a range of guests and techniques. 

We will definitely keep your ideas and input in mind when planning the next season. Feel free to make suggestions about potential guests and techniques directly to me at kstrom@interweave.com.

Best, Karin

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Laura@29 wrote
on Mar 5, 2014 1:00 AM

I know some people do not like change.  I like change, but only if it is worth while.   I'm very disappointed in the new show.  I haven't learned anything new and sometimes I'm not sure if some of the info is correct.  The Tools of the Trade segment has really not taught me anything.  I can't believe they replaced Clara Parkes with Tanis Gray.   Waste of time.  The Skype segment just seems to be a discussion with someone famous. For example it seems like one of the main points I got from the Skype from Iceland is that there is a yarn shop in almost every city.  It would have been nice to see a demonstration of some of the work.

As an experienced knitter, I think I learned at least one thing new from every show with Eunny and Clara or other people who came with knit garments and who showed exactly how they made anything that was different.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Mar 15, 2014 3:45 PM

I could not agree more with the previous comments.  I had just started knitting when I found Knitting Daily on PBS.  I loved Eunny Jang's tutorials at the beginning and end of every episode because they made me feel empowered to try new techniques.  I still remember the colorwork episode where she was knitting in the round and showed us the problem when you didn't correct for the jog and how to fix it.  I felt like I really grasped the issue and it was only because of KD that I was brave enough to try colorwork.  I just finished watching the Brioche episode that aired this morning.  Vicki Howell concluded the segment by saying, "that kinda breaks me out in hives just thinking about that."  How am I supposed to have any confidence in what I've just seen when the host doesn't?  I'll have to take your word for the fact that she is a fiber enthusiast as I have seen no evidence of it.  To the producers of the show, if you want to keep me as a viewer:

1. The host needs to be using those needles and not relying on a series of guests.  (I know nothing will bring Eunny Jang back, but would Mercedes Tarasovich-Clark host?  She was fantastic!!)

2. The host needs to be more prepared and articulate.  Vicki Howell seems to be constantly grasping for adjectives that end in -ee or -ish which is just annoying.

3. Space to Space needs to go! My reasons are fully articulated by previous posters.

3. I actually would enjoy Tanis Grey's segment if she could tell us the company that makes the yarns featured-if not what is the point?  Also, get rid of the knitting needles-you only need to buy needles so many times.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,500
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Mar 17, 2014 4:54 PM

Eunny is at Craftsy now. Check it out at Craftsy.com.

Vickie Howell is a designer, knitter, and crocheter who used to host Knitty Gritty on PBS. She has a yarn line with Yarnspirations/Bernat, and she's an all around fiber enthusiast.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,500
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Mar 17, 2014 4:57 PM

Eunny left to pursue new opportunities. Simple as that. Nothing bad happened at all.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 21, 2014 8:18 PM

C o n g r a t u l a t i o n s  to  her ! ! ! 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Karenlenae wrote
on Mar 22, 2014 2:38 PM

I so agree with you. The caliber of the new series is so far inferior with Vicki that I seldom watch it. Vicki is not the designer that Eunny is. It now is a basic introduction to knitting and a remake of her Knitty Gritty show which was funky and lacking in any depth. So sad that they didn't choose a real designer and higher caliber of instructor and knitter to take over for Eunny...

Page 2 of 4 (56 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4  Next > | RSS