Knitting Needle Knitting Bag

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
SafiyahR wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 12:40 PM

Hi!

I'm finally ready to make this bag... but I'm confused aboiut the yarn called for. The pattern says:

"Bulky #5. Used here:Nashua Handknits Creative Focus CHunky"

So, I figure, if this is bulky yarn, I can use Lamb's Pride Bulky as a sub?? I yarndex both yarns, and it turns out the one they used in the sample, is Chunky, which is a tad finer than Bulky. The yarndex suggested needle for that yarn is #US9. HOWEVER (I hope I'm not confusing anyone here!) the pattern calls for #US10.5, which is the exact needle sze that yarndex recommends for Lambs Pride Bulky!

What do I do?? Has anyone makde this bag with Lambs Pride Bulky with good results?

Thanks!

-Safiyah

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Feb 26, 2009 1:38 PM

Hi Safiyah....

The very best thing you can do is to knit a swatch. Everyone's working tension is a bit different. As well, the "recommended" needle size for any yarn is NOT necessarily the needle sz you might use for a specific pattern...it's only a guidline!!!

By doing a swatch you will have a chance to see if you like working w/ that combo of yarn + needle sz before you commit to an entire bag. Once you get the correct gauge....you can also check to see how it feels worked up @ that gauge in that st patt.

I love all the charts + numbering systems...info is power to help make choices!!!   But the final decision for me is in the end results...is it what I wanted to make?  A swatch is a big help w/ that!!!

Take care.....Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 10
SafiyahR wrote
on Apr 3, 2009 5:16 PM

Thanks so much for the info, Andrea, I appreciate it!

I guess I will have to hunt down my size 10.5 and start swatching...

take care

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS