Diminishing Rib Cardigan

This post has 1 Reply | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
LauraG wrote
on Mar 2, 2009 5:37 AM

Hi, I just wanted to share--I'm making the Diminishing Rib Cardigan from the most recent Spring 2009 Interweave Knits. I'm almost done with the body and I've tried it on (which, of course, you can do with circular needles, top-down patterns!). This is the cutest cardigan pattern!

In the issue it's made up of a combo of silk and merino. I'm using Rowan cotton dk and I wanted to share that the tubular cast on for the ribbing did not work well for me for that yarn -- which makes sense--100% cotton, which, of course, doesn't have the elasticity of the merino that the pattern cites. The result was just too loose and not lying down right.

So I took it all out and redid the neck ribbing in straight rib, one needle size smaller and it came out perfect, just like the picture, as the saying goes.

This could just be me -- my tension (though I did swatches) -- I am making it in a small size.  But I'm always trying to learn about issues in yarn substitution and this one -- the issue of elasticity in the yarn and the rib -- seemed a good one to keep in mind!

The rest of the pattern works absolutely perfectly in cotton. This really is a lovely cardigan design. The ribbing in the body creates great shaping. The picture inside is really more representative than the one on the cover. 

Laura

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Lee wrote
on Mar 20, 2009 1:44 PM

ooh that sounds nice! I just got the yarn for this cardi in the mail last week. I'm using the Tahki yarn the pattern calls for in a pretty, deep green color. I'm casting on for this as soon as I finish the baby sweater I'm doing for a friend. I'm getting very anxious about it, too!

"Fame is a very good thing to have in the house but cash is more convenient." Louisa May Alcott, Little Women

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS