Measuring a Foot Circumference?

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 4
LarissaEsq wrote
on Dec 27, 2013 2:38 PM

Hi, I've been knitting for quite a while but I'm just about to start my very first pair of socks, using the "On Your Toes" pattern in the 7 Free Socks Pattern book.  It looks about as simple a sock pattern as I'm going to find, I suppose.  I've had a set my sister bought me for months now, a gorgeous fine sock yarn & set of tiny DPNs, but have been intimidated to try socks until I got more proficient at knitting in the round, which I finally have.

Thing is, the pattern requires a cast on stitch count, obviously based on foot circumference.  So I'm wondering... at what part of the foot do I measure?  The ball?  Instep?  I didn't see anything in the book about that, and figured this was the easiest place to get the info.

Thanks so much in advance for any help!  (and words of encouragement)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 624
salmonmac wrote
on Dec 28, 2013 6:03 AM

Good for you for venturing into the world of socks. They make wonderful knit projects that are so easily portable but I warn you, they are addictive.

Here a figure that shows where to measure foot circumference (11a), basically around the widest part of the foot.

http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/footsize.html

Enjoy!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Dec 30, 2013 1:00 PM

Salmonmac's advice is excellent. I'd just add this: From the front of your arch to the base of your toes the circumference will be pretty consistent, but don't measure any farther back because your foot expands in the arch and heel (and the pattern will take that into account). There are some very cool tricks to expand socks in that region, so you have fun knitting to look forward to!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
LarissaEsq wrote
on Dec 30, 2013 3:54 PM

Thanks so much for the help!  Sorry I didn't respond right away, but the advice came to my email & I started my first sock right away.  I'll keep you posted!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
LarissaEsq wrote
on Feb 19, 2014 3:59 PM

I've finished a sock!  I've started on the second.  These aren't quick, are they?  Is there a way to post photos here?  I can show you my solitary sock.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 19, 2014 5:47 PM

You can add an image here--when you compose a post, there are 2 rows of buttons above. On the lower row, there's a little film strip icon with a plus near the right side. Clicking that lets you insert an image from your computer, from a URL, or from elsewhere on the web. Can't wait to see!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
LarissaEsq wrote
on Feb 19, 2014 7:20 PM

Aha, thanks!  I'm discovering it's not easy to photograph knitted items indoors, but I can't go out into the several feet of snow with one sock on, so bear with me.  It's a light blue/light grey mottled yarn, not sure if you can see that well.

The heel's obviously not perfect, not quite sure what I did wrong.  But it's wearable and I"m hoping to get the second sock 100%.  Big Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 624
salmonmac wrote
on Feb 20, 2014 6:11 AM

Sock looks great! The colors are lovely and most important, you've started the second sock. There's a very nice online tutorial that may help with the heel. It may not exactly mesh with the pattern you're using but it's very celar instructions. The heel looks good from the photos, though and the fit is good too.

http://www.cometosilver.com/socks/

Stay warm and thanks so much for the photos.

Anne, your advice is always appreciated.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 192
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
Anne Merrow wrote
on Feb 20, 2014 1:09 PM

Short-row heels are tricky! They take some practice and sometimes some counting, and they work best if knitted very tightly. Don't be afraif to rip them back and try again, but you probably want to rip all the way back to the start so you don't lose any wraps.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
frank jhon wrote
on Mar 15, 2014 3:39 AM

Aahh..!! Mine is 11. too Long

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS