Fan Reeds

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
HollyH wrote
on Mar 6, 2009 7:50 PM

I read with interest the article on using a Fan reed in the Mar/April 2009 Handwoven.  But when I Googled "fan reed" I found that the cost of one is about $25/inch of reed.  This means that the fan reed needed to complete this project is $500.  So this article is your April Fools joke?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
ForumModerator
Liz Gipson wrote
on Mar 13, 2009 11:06 AM

Nope, no joke. The reeds have to be made by hand.  There is not resonable way to massproduce them.   They are really cool, but we never promised they would be cheap. 

Liz Gipson

Managing Editor, Handwoven

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DizzyD wrote
on Mar 16, 2009 1:35 PM

Wow - but I don't remember the article giving a heads up on the price either.  Which would have been nice.

Dawn

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JillS@3 wrote
on Mar 18, 2009 4:40 PM

there is nothing wrong with your product, or ideas, but since our country is in a economic meltdown it would have been better to either hold this article till a more prosperous time, or give the reader a hint that the fan reed is a" high end "special order tool . nothin wrong with that! getting weavers all hyped and then having us fine out it will cost $500 or $600 to weave with is way far from most weavers budgets. i think the comment that "no one said it would be cheap" is pretentious . but maybe i am wrong, maybe there are lots of weavers ready to order this reed at the price you quoted? i just do not know of any that i know .

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 36
ForumModerator
Liz Gipson wrote
on Mar 26, 2009 8:58 AM

Normal 0 <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} p {margin-right:0in; mso-margin-top-alt:auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt:auto; margin-left:0in; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} -->

Whoops, I certainly didn't mean to offend by using the word "cheap".  We are indeed experiencing hard times as a nation and that is not to be taken lightly. I just find it interesting that there is so much resistance to the idea of something that is handmade--of which this reed is--having a high price tag. Anytime there is something new in the market Handwoven is going to jump on showing it off to our readers. The fact that thre reed is handmade and thus on the spendy side would have made an excellent edition to the article.  I can certainly understand the realization that something as tempting as a fan reed featured on the cover being out of reach for most of us would be disappointing.  I loved the idea of guilds pooling their money and then loaning the reed to their members.  A shop could do that, too. 

For those who are looking for bargains, you will love our September/October issue devoted to the subject of weaving on a buget.

Liz Gipson

Managing Editor, Handwoven

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS