Dodd Shawl: A Knitting Mystery

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Declare wrote
on May 26, 2014 4:31 AM

Hi,

Just read the article in the Knitting Daily newsletter about a Piecework article and thought you might like to know that A. H. Dodd would most likely be the owner of the shawl, not the maker.  

Those labels were made by Cash's, known as Cash's woven labels, and were sewn by pretty much every mother into her children's clothes, certainly into school uniforms, in the 1960s in England. Maybe before too.  You could get them in black, red and blue.  I have also seen them sewn into garments taken into hospitals by patients, so that belongings didn't get lost.  It's quite common to find unused labels remaining in vintage sewing tables these days. Hope that helps. Claire in England.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
swardee wrote
on May 26, 2014 4:46 AM

Same thought occurred to me. I had just such labels sewn into my clothes in the 1950s, and they had been used for at least 50 years then. I would guess this had been part of  the belongings of a girl at one of the more 'up-market schools. This type of pattern was also common in my childhood, where the centre of the shawl is worked first, followed by picking up the sides and finally a border or edging. Paton & Baldwin published leaflet patterns for such shawls worked in 2ply wool. Sue, also from UK.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
KathStoneDog wrote
on May 26, 2014 5:49 AM

Indeed! and not just in England, in Scotland too - which may or may not be relevant in this case.

I remember them personally from the 1960s but I also remember some in my Grandmother's possessions which went back to the 1930s.

Kath, Glasgow, Scotland

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on May 26, 2014 6:24 AM

I agree with the comments above in that the shawl belonged to the person named Dodd. We had the labels sewn into our school uniforms as children and I know they were also sewn into garments when adults were either going into long term hospital care or convalescence or into nursing homes. It looks to me as if it may have started life as a baby shawl.  

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS