I don't know how to Decrease on neck of cardigan

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Olivier111 wrote
on Jun 24, 2014 10:15 AM

Hello everyone,  I am pretty new to knitting Baby  Clothes and I am stuck on how to Decrease on the pattern I have.

My pattern has a lacy effect Border and my pattern says to decrease on 4 rows of neck edge.

The pattern is on the last six stitches of neck edge , so I am not sure where to do the decrease. The row I am working on is Sl1, Sl1, K1 psso, knit to last 6 sts k1, yfwd, sl1, k2tog, psso,yfwd, k2. Hope someone can help me as it looks really sweet and can't wait to finish it

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 627
salmonmac wrote
on Jun 25, 2014 5:36 AM

Can you give us a link to the pattern or a pattern name?

It seems like the directions for the left front. If you want to maintain the 6sts at the neck, then do the decreases (one per row for 4 rows?) between the knit sts and the last 6sts of the border. So the pattern becomes: Sl1, Sl1, K1 psso, knit to last 8 sts k2tog, k1, yfwd, sl1, k2tog, psso,yfwd, k2.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Olivier111 wrote
on Jun 30, 2014 9:08 AM

Salmonmac, Thank you very much for the reply.  The Pattern is Sirdar c3284

This is the pattern for the Little Pink Cardigan

Left Front

1st Row.  S1,knit to last 6 sts, yfwd,s1, k1, psso,  k1, k2tog,yfwd, k1 

2nd Row. S1, purl to last st, k1

3rd Row. S1, knit to last 6 sts, k1, yfwd, s1, k2tog, psso, yfwd k2

4th Row S1, purl to last  st k1.

Thank You Again

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Olivier111 wrote
on Jun 30, 2014 9:11 AM

Sorry I forgot to say that I am working on the Right Front now and that is where I am stuck .

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 627
salmonmac wrote
on Jul 1, 2014 5:38 AM

it is confusing when patterns leave you to "reverse the shaping" or pattern stitch without further explanation.

I can't try this out on needle right now but the pattern looks like it becomes:

Row 1 k1  yfwd, sl 1, k1, psso, k1, k2tog, yfwd , (place any decrease here) work to the end of the row.

Row 3 k2, yfwd, sl 1, k2tog, psso, yfwd, k1, (place any decrease here) work to the end of the row.

I would put the decreasses for the neck after the first 6sts, say a ssk on this front whereas you might have done a k2tog on the left front.

One other possiblity is that for the neck, you bind off some number of sts, including the border sts. That way the border stops at the neck opening and there then my be some dcreases to shape the sides of the neck.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Olivier111 wrote
on Jul 1, 2014 6:11 AM

Salmanac Thank You so much. I would have been totally stumped. I will have a go with this later today. 

Hopefully this will help me if I come accross something similar on  another pattern. You are a star.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS