what does the abbriviation DK mean?

This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
risser_1221 wrote
on Apr 19, 2009 10:56 PM

i am attempting to knit a sweater/vest for my cat and the pattern calls for "Rowen RYC Cashsoft DK" type yarn. is that the type of weight?  i hope i got yarn that will work okay with pattern Tongue Tied

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 260
Tephra wrote
on Apr 19, 2009 11:07 PM

DK stands for "double knitting" and is a yarn weight between Sport and Worsted. If you wrap it around something like a pencil (at about the same tension you knit with) and count the number of wraps per inch you should end up with 11 for DK.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 20, 2009 4:41 PM

Hi,  Try going to Suite101.com and type in search box:  Yarn: Weight and Style.  There is a nice article there explaining the DK weight you were asking about.  Actuall the Need Size US 3-6 is recommend and the Hook Size US E4-7 for this weight yarn.  Article says it is good for sweaters and cardigans and will show good stitch definition.

Hope this will help you.  A good article to keep handy for reference to on your next project before you go shopping. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS