Re: We Ask the Editors: What Are You Proudest of Making?

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 7
Loshakova wrote
on Jun 22, 2009 12:49 PM

I so much enjoyed reading this article.  Thanks for sharing, guys!  (Also, the new website looks great!)

Not Ranked
Posts 5
otterwise wrote
on Jun 22, 2009 12:57 PM

I enjoyed it a great deal, as well. The thing I am most proud of making/designing would have to be my "Cloud on her Shoulders" shawl. Like many of us, I have lost people near to me from cancer. I know that sometimes the slightest weight is a burden, and that chemo is a very physically chilling experience. So I made this shawl. $1.00 from each pattern sold goes to Susan G, Komen, but an even greater satisfaction is hearing the stories behind the shawls people have made. One person in particular made a Cloud shawl for her mother, who lived in France. She intended it to be a constant reminder to her mom that she was always in her thoughts. Later, when her mom passed, she received the shawl back, and uses it to feel close to her mom. I still get a bit choked up when I think about it.

So, the Cloud on Her Shoulders shawl is the creation of which I am proudest.

If you are interested in the pattern, it may be found on patternfish, and ravelry.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
marytriller wrote
on Jun 22, 2009 5:16 PM

I am proudest of making your wonderful Charcoal Ribbed Cardigan from your Interweave Holiday Knits 2006 for my husband.  I have been married to the man for 30 years now and this is only the second sweater I have made for him.  Now I have to admit that I haven't been knitting for all 30 years as I enjoy many needle hobbies such as counted cross stitch but I have made about 50 sweaters or garments for my three daughters and three granddaughters as well as for myself.

He loved the pattern and asked me to make it for him.  He even went yarn shopping with me so of course, he didn't have to ask me twice.  It took me a long time to make it as I made it in the largest size so it was not the most portable project and so hot to work on during a Florida summer even with the a/c on.  I am so glad it is finished as we are moving to Bedworth, England next month.  He will get plenty of wear out of it there.  This sweater also earned a 3rd place ribbon at the Central Florida Fair-Arts & Crafts-Adult Knitting division.   I will post a picture of it on the photo link you provided.

Thanks for asking the readers!  And thanks for the free pattern offer that was sent out today!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
Fliss wrote
on Jun 23, 2009 2:28 AM

Couldn't quite work out how to post a comment on a thread rather than reply to a post so hope you don't mind me replying to yours Loshakova!

And actually it's appropriate because I also enjoyed reading this article, partly because it shows that the things that people are most proud of are not necessarily the things that require the most skill.  It's the things that have meaning, are linked with someone else or were there or being created at a significant point in their lives.

Having said which, I can't think for the life of me what I'm most proud of - maybe anything I've finished and which isn't a total disaster  !!!!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MarilynT@2 wrote
on Jun 23, 2009 4:24 AM

I really love the new website. It looks so up to date and I love the new color scheme!

I wanted to reply also to the question: what you're proudest of making. I have made many blankets for our local hospital neonatal department and I've always tried to make blankets that were not just ordinary. I would look for patterns that could be easily adjusted to a smaller size ( Melissa Leapman was a favorite). One time my name was inadvertently left in the bag I had put the finished blanket in, and the mom of the little boy who was given the blanket tracked me down and sent me a Thank You card.  That card spoke so highly of what the blanket meant to her. She could not believe that there were people who cared and were praying for children they didn't even know . I'll never be sure which blanket she was talking about, but I'll always be proud of the fact that the blanket helped her through her family crisis.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS