New Knit-a-Long

This post has 254 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
KristinI wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 3:23 AM

OK, so I ripped!!! But not because of the yarn, but because I tried the sock on and the leg was too tight. Aaaargghh!!!  So I am casting on again, for M this time, with the same yarn, despite the stripes. I am sooooo behind now!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Terry E wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 7:23 AM

xteech37,

In response to your question, the yarn I'm using is Colinette "Jitterbug" and the color is #113 Velvet Damson.  I've used "jitterbug" for two other pairs of socks and I really like the way it works up!  My local yarn shop didn't have much in stock so I ordered it online.  I'm really happy with it so far.

Terry

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Terry E wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 7:28 AM

Kristinl,

I absolutely understand your frustration! I had ripped out my sock twice!  The first time was for the same reason.  The leg was too tight!  I was really surprised because I had completed the guage!  Anyway, I started for the third time using larger needles (size 2) and now the leg fits fine.  I'm not sure if the foot is going to be too large though, after reading posts from others.  Hang in there!  It seems like lots of others are just starting now also!

Terry

Not Ranked
Posts 12
KathyM@3 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:21 AM

Well, I've been away for a little while, but am glad to see that some people are just joining in.  I had just finished the first repeat when I put it down, and for some reason, it's still right there!  I'll take it up again tonight after work.  Can't wait to retire and be able to do what I want a little more often.  I'm a camper too.  I keep a little trailer down near Pinehurst, NC and camp at Sycamore Lodge (Coast to Coast network), but hope to be doing some traveling in a few years.  If you're C to C or AOR members, I highly recommend our campground.  Nice accommodations and lots to see in the nearby areas.

Knit on!

Kak

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
onceanddone wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:32 AM

Terry,

I agree the yarn is beautiful,  I also like the color choice.  Are all their yarns rich in color? 

Diane H.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Terry E wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 9:47 AM

Diane,

The colors I've used have all been rich in color!  They are hand dyed and slightly varigated.  If you like, you can check out some of the color options online.  I just googled "colinette Jitterbug yarn" and found several places with photos.  I definitely recommend it.  

Terry

Not Ranked
Posts 12
xteech37 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 10:19 AM

Terry,

if it's not being too nosy. . from which of the Internet sources did you buy your yarn? 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Terry E wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 10:37 AM

xteech37,

Not at all.  I went to Jimmy Bean's Wool (www.jimmybeanswool.com}.  I placed the order on Monday and received it on Wednesday. 

Terry

Not Ranked
Posts 8
BONNIEK@3 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 1:39 PM

Forthwrite

I used to be a cross-stitcher and I use a metal board & magnet strip to keep track of my rows. You can find these almost anywhere that you find cross stitch items. It works great! I sometimes use mine flat, under a book page.  Also can be used as shown, on an easel that you can purchase as well. I show a clip at the top, but you can use the magnetic strips that come with it too. As you complete a row you simply move the magnet up. I like to stop on the "next row" that I will need to start with when I pick my project up again.

Bonnie

Not Ranked
Posts 3
KnitWitchery wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 2:07 PM

Terry.

I think that only Cookie A knows for sure why these area called Monkey Socks, but as I look down from the cuff at the pattern it sort of reminds me a bit of a babboon face. Do you think that could be it?

I just found this KAL and CO yesterday. I am beginning the 4th repeat after the heel turn. I didn't care for the cuff pattern, so changed it to 2x2 ribbing for 2" instead of 1". I find it keeps my socks up better.  I am using Debbie Norville Serenity sock weight yarn and a size two dpns.  This yarn is 50% superwash merino wool, 25% bamboo, and 25% nylon. It is very nice to work with and really soft!

Never used Jitterbug, but will have to consider it after seeing your sock! Good job!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 2:12 PM

BonnieK

I do the same thing.  I have two magnetic board and a magnetic strip to keep me in place.  I also keep a post it note on the pattern to help me stay in place because sometimes the magnetic strip moves.   I wonder why. LOL.  Anyway I used the magnetic board for cross stich, but I no longer do that and find the magnetic boards great for knitting.  I also have a lace kntt wrap that I am using my other board for.  The board is a good thing to have and I am glad that you posted a picture of it.

Happy Knitting, JJ

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 5:38 PM

Hi Ladies,

I also used Jimmy Bean's Wool website to order my yarn.  They are a wonderful company!  They are a consumer-friendly company.  For example, if they don't have enough yarn in stock, they send you an e-mail asking if you want them to send a partial order, or wait until the yarn is restocked (just took a couple of extra days for me). 

I use a magnetic board to keep track of the rows on a chart.  I found it of great help when I made a lace scarf (which I still have to block).  I still do counted cross stitch, so I have a number  of magnetic boards!  My husband has been stepping around all my knitting and cross stitch stuff for almost thirty years!  

On my sock, I finished turning the heel, and will start the gusset tonight.  It's looking more like a sock now.  No problems yet!

Ginny

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
onceanddone wrote
on Jul 22, 2009 7:21 PM

I carry my project with me everywhere I go...,just in caseSmile.  I do have the magnetic board and have used it at home.  I sometimes just write down the numbers and cross out as I go.  I always copy my original pattern so I can write on it.  A lot of the time as I finish knitting for the moment or day which ever the case may be, I will knit the number of stitches of the row I am on.  In other words if I will start with row 5 the next time I knit, I will knit the 1st five stitches of row 5.  When I start knitting again, I simply count the stitches and that is the row I am on. 

Love all the tips I am picking up from this KAL.

Diane H.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Jul 23, 2009 2:59 AM

Diane!  You are so clever!!  I love that stitch per row idea.  Thanks for sharing  Big Smile

~Lynn

Wilted Flower ~ Lynn

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
KristinI wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 3:40 AM

Well, seemed like size M would be too big, so I ripped again and am back at size S, knitting looser.  We'll see how it works out...  And if I ever finish..

Page 11 of 17 (255 items) « First ...  < Previous  9 10 11 12 13  Next >  ... Last » | RSS