New Knit-a-Long

This post has 254 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Terry E wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 8:51 AM

KnitWitchery,

I'm always looking for good sock yarn so I'm going to check out the Debbie Norville Serenity.  It sounds really interesting!  Thanks!

Terry E

Not Ranked
Posts 12
KathyM@3 wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 9:31 AM

Well, I decided to "rip" again.   I didn't like the way the 1x1 rib looked, so I'm with the 2x2 group.  Got through that and to row 4 of the pattern.  I just use a row counter and start over with each repeat.  I have the little round ones that fit on single pt needles that work just fine, but just got one that hangs around my neck so I don't lose it  - the little round ones tend to roll away.  My sister has a digital one that's really cool, but $$$'s.  I like the color coding and think I'll try that.  Maybe the visual thing will help.  The yarn I'm using is very forgiving, and feels really good - It's Earthly Hues and is hand died by Tricia Rawnsley in OH.  She's on Etsy.  She has some beautiful stuff  - from wool to silk- ...........I also love Jimmy Bean's.  They have a chat feature where you can get a real person to help you.  Got my 2 at a time book there, but think I'll do something simple the first time I try it.

Lunch is over - back to work!

Kak

Not Ranked
Posts 3
KnitWitchery wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 10:47 AM

I now have the first sock completed and really am pleased with the look and fit of this sock pattern! I am now spoiled I think.  Here I am making basic socks for family members for Christmas gifts, just happily knitting along one pair after another, now a whole new world of patterned  sock knitting has invaded my blissful basic sock world and sock knitting will never be the same!   Wish I had a way to post a picture of my sock.

Thank You Kathleen, for this KAL!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
xteech37 wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 4:57 PM

I hope it isn't too late to join the Monkey Socks KAL. Ordered my yarn yesterday (7/22).  Had procrastinated because of other WIPs, but thought I would learn a lot from participating with you.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
flamoonlove wrote
on Jul 23, 2009 5:50 PM

I use a variation on the magnetic board that's a little more portable.  Have you ever gotten a business card or calendar magnet from a pizza shop or some other business?  I cut one of those into some strips lengthwise with scissors.  Then I use 2 of the strips - one on the front of the paper and one on the back of the paper so they cling together through the paper.  I just started doing this, and so far it works great.  I keep my sock project in a plastic bag in my purse, and it stays in place pretty well.  Let me know if you want me to post a picture.  I also just colorized my chart like the one that Kathleen posted, and that really helps me stay on track too.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bast_Selket wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 3:46 AM

I really like this book on Estonian too, but found it a little intimidating since I've never done lace before and after a couple futile attempts gave up on doing even a simple lace scarf. Then I found the Money Socks! What a nice introduction to learning lace. I'm actually taking a class on these and would have saved my money if I'd known that Kathy had been planning this, but I've actually gotten good ideas and help from both place in different ways. I'm hoping this will help when I start to work on the patterns in the book. I'm guessing this bring the book back on topic now Big Smile ! I plan to do one of simple scarfs to start. Back to the socks...I love the lace pattern, but not the heels that she put in so I used a reinforced heel (knit one slip on on the right side row and purl on the wrong side row) which I will try to post this weekend and today is my last sock class and we'll be working on toes. Both the KAL and my class have been great as I've met a lot of really helpful and nice people. The girls in my class and I are all planning on taking another class together since we've had so much fun in this one.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
RobertaH@4 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 11:07 AM

You said you had 1001 ends to weave in on a project.  I do lots of intarsia knitting and I weave them in as I go along, eliminating that tediouis task. at the end.  Basically, I hold the end I've finished using up & in back of the next stitch, knit with the new color, and then hold it down on the following one.   The new color sort of wraps around the end I'm weaving in, catching it but not coming out to the front.  You do this several times---up, down, up, down---until it's firmly caught.  I know this doesn't seem very clear, but I think it will be when you try it.  Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Marie@72 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 11:11 AM

But where is the pattern for the bear bunting sweater you knit for Henry made out Sirdar Snuggley ? He is darling and I l just love the little sweater! Please share the pattern.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
onceanddone wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 11:14 AM

Hi Bast_Selket,

One of the 1st lace patterns I did was the Feather and Fan pattern.  It is a 4 row repeat and has been used to knit everything from afghans to sweaters.  Would love to hear some tips you have picked up.  I have used a life line in my socks.  I have not needed it until now.  I am on the last repeat before the heel and on row 5 I have a mistake that is showing up on row 6.  So I have to rip back to at least row 5.  I have put it down for now, will get back to it shortly.  I hope I don't need to go back any further.  Everything seemed fine until row 6.  Oh well, it is all part of knitting.  Hmm

Diane H.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jul 24, 2009 11:51 AM

Is this KAL still able to be joined...it seems to have been going on for a while now and I figure most people are close to finished.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Terry E wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 1:47 PM

Cynthia,

We all seem to be at different stages and I know a few have only just started.  I'm sure you can still join!

Terry E

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Terry E wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 1:52 PM

Hi Diane H,

I'm going to look for the Feather and Fan pattern.  I haven't done very many patterns and that sounds like a good "next project".  I was about as far as you are now on the Monkey Sock and I tried to go back a row or two to fix the problem but ultimately I ripped it out and started over.  I hope you're more successful!  If not, at least you know you're not alone Big Smile

BTW, I'm now past the heel and on my 3rd pattern repeat.

Terry E

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JulieO@16 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 3:03 PM

I agree absolutely! The cable sweater is cute, but the bunting is fabulous! It also looks quick to knit up as it looks like chenille. Let me know where I can find that pattern! Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Lin@16 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 3:22 PM

I totally agree with Marie 72 and JulieO!   Please let us know the pattern for the bear bunting!  I've got a new grand-nephew for whom I'd like to make it!  Lin

Not Ranked
Posts 3
ValerieW@16 wrote
on Jul 24, 2009 3:33 PM

Hi Barbara!

The link is found in the first post.  I've also provided here for your convenience.

Monkey Socks pattern

HTH!

Page 12 of 17 (255 items) « First ...  < Previous  10 11 12 13 14  Next >  ... Last » | RSS