New Knit-a-Long

This post has 254 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Jan@82 wrote
on Jul 30, 2009 10:39 AM

I've been following along, just never posted.  I guess I'm a lurker!  I finished one sock in large and it's REALLY big.  I think it will be a gift for my girlfriend with big feet!  Now I'm making a size small with my number 2 dpn's and like it much better.  Just getting ready to turn the heel.  I love this pattern and the KAL!  Looking forward to the next one!  Maybe I'll post a picture of both socks when I'm finished.  The second one is going much faster too!

Jan in CA

Not Ranked
Posts 4
AnnP wrote
on Jul 31, 2009 3:51 PM

Hi,  Just thought I'd report in.  I have finished one monkey sock after frogging a couple of times.  frogged cos I couldn't make up my mind how long I wanted the leg.  I have just started the second sock.  The yarn I chose is my own hand dyed shetland with some thread (overlocker floss) to strengthen heels and toes. Maybe if I can bring myself to learn my new camera I can post a picture - is that done?

Ann

(Poppysnr.)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
KristinI wrote
on Aug 1, 2009 5:50 AM

I finished one sock! But I have the same problem as you, SusanF@7, - the yarn is too striped and it gets "in the way" for the pattern. I will finish the pair though, - there is always need for a good pair of socks, even if they are not beautiful!  Smile I agree, the pattern was easily memorized, and I am sure I will use it again, with a different yarn. 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
HollyKints wrote
on Aug 3, 2009 12:24 PM

Hi,

I am going to a not so LYS (I live in a small town with no nearby yarn stores.) tomorrow and I plan to pick up yarn for this.  It has been a while since I knit a pair of socks but always enjoyed doing so in the past.  Is there a formal sign up for this KAL or do with just check in every so often.?

Looking forward to this project,

Holly

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Aug 4, 2009 2:12 PM

Welcome, Holly!  

You don't need to formally sign up... just knit, read the posts, and check in with your progress, questions, etc.  This has been so much fun for me.  

I just finished my first sock! Big Smile  I had to frog the toe once because I didn't make the sock quite long enough.  I'm going to start the second sock tonight.

Glad to have you with us, Holly!

Ginny 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Aug 4, 2009 2:50 PM

Yes welcome Holly,

I love making socks.  I always have socks on my knitting needles because they are easy to carry along.

I have just about finished my first sock on my #2 dbl points.  Like the dbl points because that is how I was taught.  I have had to put my Monkey Socks on hold for a while because I have a bad case of poison oak.  Been to the Dr last week and to the emergency room yesterday.  Maybe tomorrow I will be feeling like knitting my Mockey Socks.  So far I really like this pattern.  I did revise some of the pattern to my liking just because it was easier for me to understand.  I would like to post my sock when done, but I will have to figure out how to do so.

Hope you enjoy knitting the Mockey Socks has I have.

Happy Knitting, JJ

Not Ranked
Posts 12
KathyM@3 wrote
on Aug 5, 2009 9:13 AM

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one still on the first sock.  I've frogged a few times and am also working on some socks for my great nephews who live in OH, and Fall is coming so I have to get those done.  This is my first "lace" project.

I've done the 2x2 for the rib and now see why the pattern says 1x1, but will stick with the 2x2 because I like the feel.  Maybe there's another way to do the "cuff" that mirrors the pattern...............oh, well, for another time.  I also did the k1,sl1etc heel because I want these to last after all this effort.

Kathleen, saw your editorial today.  Great organizational tips - thanks.  I recently bought a fold up toiletries travel thingie that is great for organizing all the little things that we absolutely have to have.  It's great that socks are so portable.  I just stuff what I need in a zip-lock bag and put it in my purse.  Joined Ravelry recently, and they have some great organizational tools to log in your needles & hooks (and print out a little card to keep with you), keep track of each yarn in the stash, your personal library, projects, queue, etc.  Haven't really gotten bloggy yet, but looks like a lot of tips going around.  

Knit on!

Kak

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
onceanddone wrote
on Aug 5, 2009 11:09 AM

I with those of you still on the 1st sock.  I am headed toward home, I am knitting the foot.  I did the k1, sl1 heel also for durability.   Yes, I am knitting several projects at once..... I have started teaching classes at my LYS and have to have samples for the classes.  So each week I have at least one small project to knit. 

Happy Knitting,

Diane

Not Ranked
Posts 2
srons@2 wrote
on Aug 5, 2009 12:30 PM

where can i get a kate walker knitting tote

thanks

Not Ranked
Posts 11
ladyjanet wrote
on Aug 5, 2009 12:48 PM

I'm still on sock one too.  I'm working on the instep/foot and should be getting to the toe soon.  I have a "communte" project, the great Leaves on the Path scarf- http://www.knittingdaily.com/media/p/31487.aspx  and I do cross stitch too, so I have to divide my time between my projects!  I'd get more done if I didn't have this whole work thing to worry about! Wink

Janet

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,591
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Aug 5, 2009 1:50 PM

Hi Folks,

I'm going to "officially" end this KAL on 8/14 and do a wrap-up post in Knitting Daily. We'll start the new KAL then, too. Friday's post will have a survey about the next project. I put "officially" in quotation marks because the KAL is never really over. This forum will be available for as long as you need it.

If you haven't posted a photo of your sock yet, please do so! I want to feature some finished socks in my wrap-up post. To post a photo, click on the little green filmstrip (near the yellow smiley face) and then browse to your photo and upload it.

Here's my finished sock--I still have one to go, too!

Kathleen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,591
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Aug 5, 2009 2:09 PM

srons@2:

where can i get a kate walker knitting tote

thanks

walkerbags.com

Not Ranked
Posts 9
ElaineL wrote
on Aug 5, 2009 5:36 PM

Hi, Kathleen,

While I'm sure the walker bags are great lots of people are missing out on something great.  Go to ACE Hardware and check out their gardening tool bags.  Canvas, a multitude of pockets inside and out, great colors and a delight to carry.  It does not zip but creative people like us can sew a beautiful flap on it for closure.

About $20, less if you find a coupon!!

Elaine Lim

Not Ranked
Posts 1
freimuthd wrote
on Aug 6, 2009 7:22 AM

Just started the monkey sox last week using dpns (my first time). I usually use magic loop and decided to stretch myself. After this, I am going back to magic loop. As a self taught knitter (with the help of the net and youtube) I am pretty proud of myself. My biggest problem so far is that I have difficulty with laddering when I start with a purl on the next set of needles. No matter how hard I tug and pull, it still is too wide. Any suggestions? - Debi

Not Ranked
Posts 12
KathyM@3 wrote
on Aug 6, 2009 9:23 AM

I'm new and self-taught also and discovered that if I leave the "previous" dpn on top of the new one and keep the yarn over the previous one as I apply tension for the first couple of stitches I don't have laddars.   If they do appear, try stretching the piece diagnonally both ways a few times and it will absorb the yarn into the next few stitiches so it won't show as much.  I bought socks 2 at a time and will try that this fall. 

Knit on!

Kak

Page 15 of 17 (255 items) « First ...  < Previous  13 14 15 16 17  Next > | RSS