New Knit-a-Long

This post has 254 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 12
KathyM@3 wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 3:41 PM

Welcome aboard!  I've been a member for about a year now, but have never done a KAL.

I've been holding on to some Earthly Hues fingering - she calls it "Seedling"  --  how cute.  It's beautiful  pink tones that I think will be georgous in Monkey Socks.  My #2 dpn's are in the gusset of some Baby Cashmerino, so I may have to get another set......Just been knitting for a couple of yrs & used to think I had to finish one project before starting another and that I had to have a project in mind before buying yarn............you should see my stash!   Now I  have an upstairs project, the baby cashmrino socks for me and a downstairs project ,socks for my great nephews - Geoffrey & Kevin, and so these will have to be my screened porch project.  Wish I could get away with knitting at work.  This may be just what I need to learn how to download pictures from my camera.  Looking forward to meeting everyone. 

Kak

Not Ranked
Posts 4
forthwrite wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 5:00 PM

I'm on board, Kathleen. In fact, I took the Monkey Socks pattern and a skein of Paca-Peds (Alpaca/ wool/ nylon; #618, Kaleidosock) on vacation with me even before I heard about your KAL. I've returned with the cuff completed and I'm now into the pattern. I recently learned to knit socks two-at-a-time on a single round needle and while it may be tempting fate, Monkey Socks is my first project not specifically designed for that method. I've already run into some sticky moments when the pattern called for a SSK and I had one stich left on my L needle and had to coax another stitch from the second cache of stitches to complete the decrease. (I realize this will make absolutely no sense to any knitter who hasn't yet tried two-at-a-time, but if you have, help me out here!) I'm so glad I'll have others to help me with this pattern; it's beautiful but definitely the most challenging design I've yet attempted.

Not Ranked
Posts 11
4hens wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 6:42 PM

Kathleen Cubley:

Hi Folks!

Welcome to Kathleen's Knit-a-Long, where we'll knit a project together and share photos, discuss issues we might be having with the pattern, and celebrate our victories.

The first pattern is a sock pattern, Monkey Socks by Cookie A. I'll be using Jitterbug by Colinette in colorway 131, Ischia. It's a beautiful 100% merino in a blend of blues and greens.

Let's cast on!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
knitngrammy wrote
on Jul 6, 2009 11:19 PM

I love your logic--never thought about putting it in the drawer to draw inspiration from the finished socks, as for hiding it??? Hummmmmmm

Not Ranked
Posts 4
SherryW wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 4:16 AM

I finally have caught up on all my email and as I got to this posting I saw the knit along.  I love it.  I am going to start this morning and I know I can catch up.  I have a drawer full of sock yarn since that is one of my favorite things to knit.  I have never used a chart to knit from before so this will be fun, I like learning something new.  I also like that these socks are knit in the round on circular needles because that is how I learned to knit socks.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
RoK wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 6:47 AM

Welcome Kathleen,

That was a really good opening salvo.  It really spoke to one of my worst habits. I've retrained myself to check gauge, but reading the whole pattern is a work in progress.  I commit the environmental sin of photocopying the pattern and marking all the tricky spots before I start, and I've been keeping a knitting diary of what I do or adjust for each pattern. 

Monkey socks... mmmm.  Could I squeeze them in between a PeaPod set and an Autumn Camp Shirt and a pair of Ambrosia Socks?  OK, must knit Monkey Socks.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MargaretM@8 wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 7:15 AM

What a pleasant surprise!  Your timing is perfect as I JUST started Monkey Socks (and I actually read

through the whole pattern first!).  This will only be the second pair of socks I've knit and I will be doing

them on magic loop.  I'm looking forward to having company!

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Nan wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 7:23 AM

Hi and glad to meet you, Kathleen!!  I'd like to do the Monkey Socks with you but have tried several ways to download the pattern in vain - any suggestions?  I'm a newbie knitter, unemployed and would like to make them for someone for Christmas.  Thanks for your help and all the best to you in your new capacity with Knitting Daily!!

Nan

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jul 7, 2009 11:41 AM

This will be my first knit-a-long. I have yarn that has been calling me. So I really can't wait to get started. I love working from charts too. It really looks interesting

Thank You- Jo

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Bast wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 11:47 AM

I wish I would have known you were planing this, as it so happens I am taking a sock knitting class to learn how to make Monkey Socks!  It would have saved me money, that I could have spent on more sock yarn.  I have started mine with yarn from a local company in PA - Lancaster County Handdyed Sock Yarn in a beautiful shade of blues and purples.  I'll get a picture posted soon as they're turning out great and the pattern is much easier than I thought it would be.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jul 7, 2009 12:17 PM

I was reading the pattern , Like you suggested (Which now I am really glad) When I came up with a question. When you are knitting the rib you must knit both P1 and k1 in the back of the stitch? This might be a really simple but I do not have alot of experiance in knitting and I want to get it right.. Is there a reference book, that you use  to show the stitches that are used.? Jo

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 7, 2009 5:40 PM

I just joined and hope it isn't too late to get in on the KAL.  I just printed out the pattern and am going to get started tonight.  I have wonderful sock yarn but have it packed away as we're moving but did manage to find some fingering yarn I will use.  I'm off now to do a gauge swatch.  I've never done a KAL before so I'm kind of excited.

Kathy

Spanaway, WA

Not Ranked
Posts 1
PamS@35 wrote
on Jul 8, 2009 9:28 AM
What a great coincidence. Monkey socks are my current project. I am just starting sock #2 and love the well written pattern. I have wanted to knit these for a long time. I am using Sundara sock yarn ---very nice to work with. I will attempt to post pics when socks are completed.
Not Ranked
Posts 5
nancyjohn wrote
on Jul 8, 2009 6:04 PM

Dear Kathleen,

Not Ranked
Posts 1
StarB@2 wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 8:50 AM

Wait for me!!! I just frogged everything I had on needles. I guess I need some instruction! Count me in Big Smile

Page 2 of 17 (255 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS