New Knit-a-Long

This post has 254 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 12
KathyM@3 wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 9:08 AM

Well, Mini-swatched.  looks good to me.............

Was just going to cast on and start the cuff, but managed to get through it -- caught myself knitting through the front of the loop and had to go back!

Then I was so excited I kept gong and got through the first 4 rows.  Started the 5th and my eyes started to go.....  I think this will be fun.  The pattern starts to show up right away.

Oh, I cheated and wrote out the "words".......i.e, p3, K2tog, etc.   -- I'm new to charts.  Hope I did it right........If not, my sister will surely "needle" me

Happy stitching,

Kak

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 5:12 PM

Hi,

I had to frog my sock the first time, too.  I didn't notice the chart started at the bottom so had to frog only two rows.  Also, I did a 2 x 2 rib for 1" because I like 2x2 better and I only repeated the pattern all the way through twice as I like a short sock. 

I've done the heel and am now working on the foot with the pattern only on the instep. 

for some reason, though, I'm not sure my lace patterning looks the same as the photo.

I, too, hate charts so wrote out the instructions.  much easier, I think, as I kept getting lost.  It is a fun pattern and I always wanted to try one of Cookie's patterns.   The heel was quite easy.

Kat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Jul 9, 2009 7:10 PM

Hi, 

I've never done a kal or made socks, but I've used double pointed and circular needles for other projects.  Are you using double pointed or circular for this pattern?  I have my yarn but I'm not sure what needles to use...double pointed or circular.   Any suggestions?  I'm going to try to catch up with everyone.  This should be fun!

Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 1
nancy@199 wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 11:26 AM

Hi, I might as well join you-- I tend to knit sock tightly and I just measured my monkey and realized that I am not knitting to gauge so it is back to square one and larger needles or another pattern insert--which is better--tighter or bigger?  Visiteuse

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Terry E wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 2:22 PM

Hi Kathleen,

I'm a new member and really LOVE the site as well as this KAL!  I just got my yarn and I'm starting on my Monkey Socks right away.  I hope I can catch up!!   I've read the instructions and I already see areas where I'm going to have questions so I'm really happy you're here!!  I've knit three pairs of socks (all on circular needles) but I've never tried socks with a neat pattern so I'm really excited to see the results. 

I'm sure you'll be hearing from me! Smile

Terry

Not Ranked
Posts 12
KathyM@3 wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 3:26 PM

What fun!

Guess it would be fujn to see how many use dpns, 2 circulars or 1.  Mine are dpn's.  I'm waiting for my book to teach me how to do on 1 circ.

I put 16 st on needle 1, 32 on needle 2, with a st marker in the middle and 16 st on needle 3.  That way I if I get tired (working 50-60 hr wks) I can quit after one pattern and just mark my row, and I'm already set up for the heel flap.  I'm new to this, so it may not be "right," but it works for me!  I'm kinda analytical.  I've done cable socks but this is my first attempt at a "pattern too."

Needle ON!

Kak

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 7:59 PM

Hi

I just downloaded the pattern for Monkey Socks.  I really like the looks of this sock.  I love knitting socks, but I have a question.  I have downloaded patterns from Knitting Daily before but I have never been in a Knit-a-long before.  I am not sure what I am suppose to do.  Please inform me how your knit-a-long works. 

Janie Wright

Not Ranked
Posts 1
renesews wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 9:37 PM

Hello....I just read about the knitalong and am ready to start a new project  so monkey socks sounds great to me......i am using sock yarn from my stash...Trekking XXL in a dark varigated blue...Rene

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 9:46 PM

I am around the heel and working on the foot.  Had a little problem with the yo yo in the row where they're together but think I figured it out.  Then all of my yo-s caused me a problem.  I wasn't knitting that yo correctly on the next round so I wasn't getting the hole.  After I figured it out, I'm getting the hole now.  I decided not to rip it all out and start over as they're just for me anyway.

How do we post photos?

Kat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 11, 2009 7:42 AM

Kathleen,

I am excited about the new knit-a-long.  However I am new to this and I am not sure what or how to go about doing the knit-a-long.  I have downloaded the Monkey Socks and I really love them.  I have been knitting socks for a very long time.  I always have a pair on my needles so I can take them with me when I am on the go.  Just let me know how the knit-a-long works.  I am excited.Smile

jjwright

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 11, 2009 8:51 AM

Hi Kat,

I have noticed that you have posted several times and thought it a good thing to ask a question.  I am new to this knit-a-long and I am using Regia sock yarn for the Monkey Socks.  I have made lots of socks but I am wondering if this is the right kind of yarn to us.  What kind of yarn are you using to make the Monkey Socks? Plus do I post my progress on the blog?  Like I said I am new to knit-a-long and was just wondering how it all works. if you can help me I would appreciate it.

jjwright

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 11, 2009 5:46 PM

Hi RoK! I'm glad you're joining all of us. I'm going to post a photo soon--I'm still on the cuff, but I want you all to see the beauty of the Jitterbug colorway I'm using.

I'm so glad we're all working on this together. 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 11, 2009 5:48 PM

Hi Nan,

The pattern was on Knitty.com, so you could try getting it there. On Knitting Daily it's a PDF, which is great to print from, but if you can't download it, try Knitty. Our tech folks will catch this message and check it out, but I wanted to you have the pattern in the meantime.

Kathleen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,472
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 11, 2009 5:49 PM

Never too late! Welcome aboard.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
MargaretM@8 wrote
on Jul 11, 2009 6:42 PM

Page 3 of 17 (255 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS