New Knit-a-Long

This post has 254 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 6:36 AM

Hi Ginny,

I am new to KAL but you were asking about what needles to use.  I have knitted a lot of socks and I alway use double point needles.  I have used cicular needles before and my socks are still on the ciculars LOL.  So, I like the old fashion way of using double points. I use three needles. I cast on 21 st on needle 1, 21 st on needles 2, and 22 st on needle 3. This is 64 sts. Smile Then you knit in the round.  Hope this helps you.

Janie

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 6:45 AM

Hi Kak,

What a great idea for casting on.  I have put 21 st on needle 1, 21 st on needle 2, and 22 st on needle 3, but I like your idea and I am going to us it.  I am still working on the cuff.  Just getting startedSmile

Janie

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 8:51 AM

hi, jj,

I'm rather new at knitting socks myself.  I've made about 1 1/2 pairs and now knitting this monkey sock pattern.  The yarn I wanted to use is Plymouth's Happy Feet.  I really like that yarn but we're moving and my yarn is packed or in storage right now so all I had to use is some Red Heart sport weight.  I had to use a smaller needle and make the smallest size for this KAL.    I did learn that yarn with a DK in it's name or type is a heavier sock yarn so I try to stay away from that. 

I believe you do post your progress on this blog.  I think you just start knitting, ask questions here or post your progress.  That's about all I know about it.  LOL

I am hoping someone can tell us how to post a picture.

I found I needed a refrresher on doing lace and that's why I started these socks.  I was actually looking for a lace scarf and found this KAL.

I'm about ready to start the toe of my first sock.  Would love to post a photo when I learn how.

Kat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 8:55 AM

JJ,

forgot to mention that I'm using a 40" circ needle that's a size 1.  I do have a 0 40" circ but it's packed someplace.  I really love using DPNs over circs as the curling really drives me nuts.  My DPNs are packed, too, but I"m about ready to go dig them out.

Kat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 12:16 PM

Kat

That is interesting. I have not mastered the cicular.  Anyway I will procede forward with my double points.  How much of the sock have you finished.  Like I said I am still on the cufff.  Thanks for your reply.

JJ

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 12:24 PM

Kak

I am sorry I did not read that you were about done on your sock. I am using some sock yarn from Regia.  I have made about 6 to 7 pair of socks.  I don't rember, but anyway I hope you find out how to post pictures.  If you do let me know.

jj

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 12:25 PM

JJ,

yes, I'm about to start the toe of my first sock.  I found my DPNs this morning so transferred all the stitches to 4 needles and will use 5, the 5th one to knit with.  No help yet on downloading pics.

Kat

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 12:35 PM

Kat

My husband is a programer and I will see if he can help us to post pictures.  I would like to see everyone's Monkey Socks in progress.

You said something about lace.  I have a lace wrap in progress also.  I really like knitting lace but it can be a challenge.

jj

Not Ranked
Posts 8
SusanF@7 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 1:18 PM

I am an avid sock knitter & have purchased Cookie a's book along with a gazillion others which I cannot resist.

I will try the Monkey Sock but wonder why it is called the "monkey Sock"?

Canada Sue

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 6:07 PM

Hi Janie, 

Thanks for the advice.  I decided on the double points, and cast on the same way you did.  I've just finished the ribbing, and am starting on the pattern.  I'm using Jitterbug yarn in pretty shades of rose, burgundy, and pink.  Looks good so far!  Smile

Ginny

Not Ranked
Posts 5
flamoonlove wrote
on Jul 12, 2009 8:27 PM

I was just about finished with the cuffs on the monkey socks.  I worked them 2 at a time on a 60" size 1 magic loop.  When I got the cuffs done though, they seemed tighter than my stockinette gage swatch was, and they looked kind of small, so I just frogged the cuffs and I'm starting over on a size 2 that's only 32" long.  I felt like the 60" was too long, so I hope the 32" works out, because that's what I have.  I'll let you know.   

This will be my 4th pair of socks.  The first 3 pairs I made were on 2 circulars, so this is my first time working on the magic loop.  I'm glad to read that I'm not the only one who's trying the magic loop for the first time on this kal AND trying a bit more complicated stitch pattern for the first time.  It's great that we can lend each other moral support as we knit along. 

But as for 1 magic loop vs. 2 circulars... I think I'm enjoying the magic loop more.  I'm not concerned with picking up the wrong needle (which I did once or twice with the 2 circulars method). 

The yarn I'm using is a hand painted superwash wool sock yarn that I bought on ebay from the person who dyed it.  I can't wait to show her a picture of the monkey socks when I'm done with them!!  If they turn out as good as I hope, they will probably be a christmas gift for my sister or SIL.  Woo Hoo!  Getting some Christmas stuff in the works already!  This is a very good thing.  (To quote a famous crafter)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Gail McK wrote
on Jul 13, 2009 4:05 AM

Got mine on my needles and off I go........ love socks so portable and user friendly

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
onceanddone wrote
on Jul 13, 2009 8:02 AM

I just decided to join the KAL.  I love the idea.  I have made many socks over the past 10 years, but this is my 1st KAL AND lace patterned socks. I decided to us 9" circulars.  This will be the 1st time I have used them for socks.  It seems like I am knitting on toothpicks. It is a lot of 1st for me.   I will CO today.  Hope I am not too late.  If you find out how to post pictures let me know.  I briefly looked under the Help tab late last night and saw that many have posted insturctions on displaying pictures.  I am using Mountain Colors Bearfoot in Golden Willow.  I have had this yarn in my stash for many years.  It is  golden browns with bluish greens and  lite burgandy.  Can't wait.

Diane H.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,543
Editor
ForumModerator
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 13, 2009 8:27 AM

Hi Folks,

Here's my progress. Not too much, I'm afraid, but I'm on a work trip and what else is there to do in a hotel room in the evening but knit Monkey Socks?? I love this yarn and colorway, and how about that twisted rib cuff? Love it!

To post a photo, click on the green icon that looks like a film strip. This will take you to a browse menu and you can upload your photo.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 13, 2009 8:34 AM

Thank you for the photo posting help.  I saw that Icon but wasn't wanting to add media, or film, so didn't try that.  Thanks so much.  I am almost done with my first sock and when it's off the needles, I'll post a photo.  I'm off to work at the local foodbank so will knit later and finish it up.

Kat

Page 4 of 17 (255 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS