New Knit-a-Long

This post has 254 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 3:24 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm really enjoying this, especially now that I'm ready to start the second repeat.  I love watching the pattern take shape.  I'm making the medium size using size 1 double points.  I hope to get another pattern repeat done tonight.  You're right, Kathleen, it is addictive!

Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 4:53 PM

Hi Ginny

I have a question that I hope you can answer.  I have finished the cuff on the Monkey Socks and now I am ready to knit from the chart.  Do I repeat the the first row 4x on the chart and like wise through to last row 11 sense there is 64 st .  I am also using double points.  Just wish someone would let me know before I procede on.  Thanks for any help you can give me.

JJ Wright

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 5:09 PM

JJ

Yes, that's correct.  You have 64 stitches so a 16 stitch pattern is knitted a total of 4 times.  You knit one pattern section of 16 and then repeat 3 times.

So when you get to the end of the first 16 pattern stitches you begin again and again until you reach the end of the row.  Makes sense?

kat

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 5:53 PM

Hi JJ,

Kat gave you a good explanation.  I find it easier to write out the chart (eg. row 1: K16 ; row 2: P4, K8, P4; etc.).  That way I don't have to worry about losing my place on the chart.  Have fun!  

Ginny

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 6:08 PM

Ginny,

I didn't mean to jump in like that before you but she sounded like she wanted to know as soon as possible.

I write it all out, too, on a little slip of paper and then put a   l    mark for every row I do.  Then, too, when you do the other sock, you know exactly what you've done.

Kat

Not Ranked
Posts 5
tss818 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 7:12 PM

Ladies,

I have a question about the large lace pattern chart with 20 stitches.  There are 15 rows listed on the chart, but rows 8 and 9 are missing.  Was this just an oversight?  Should the chart have been numbered from 1 - 13 instead of 1 - 15?

Thanks,

Tammie

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 8:27 PM

Kat

Thanks for your post.  I thought that is what I was suppose to do but wanted to make sure I was doing it right.  I have knitted by chart before and I sometimes write it out on paper to help me more.  Now it all makes sense.  Thanks for the help

JJ

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 8:34 PM

Thanks Ginny

I have knitted by a chart before but I like to write it out so I will not lose my place. I have highlighted with different colors on the chart key to help me keep from making mistates.   I just did not want to  procede without knowing what I need to do next.  You and Kat helped me a lot.. Tomorrow  I will start on the the chart. Thanks again for your help.

JJ

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 14, 2009 8:38 PM

You're welcome JJ.

and to the other lady that asked about the chart with missing rows........I haven't used the chart for the larger size socks but it looks like the pattern is correct if you just look you see no missing rows in the design.  I would say that the rows are numbered wrong and none of the pattern rows are missing.  It's got the two first knit rows and the last knit row so they all look like they're there.

Kat

Not Ranked
Posts 5
tss818 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 3:57 AM

Kat,

Thanks for your response about the row numbering in the large lace pattern.  I will be making a size large when I try these socks and I wanted to verify that the rows were just mis-numbered, especially since I'm new to charts.  Thanks for your help!

Tammie

Not Ranked
Posts 3
JaneM@48 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 4:51 AM

cast on the large size last night and got through one repeat of the lace pattern - after figuring out that the rows are misnumbered.  Using sisu by Sandesgarn - might be a bit heavier than called for but looking pretty in a celery green, and if they are too big they will make great house socks.  great pattern for my first lacy socks.  thanks for the KAL!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 23
Ginny@45 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 5:05 AM

Hi Kat,

I'm glad that you did answer JJ's question.  That's one reason I like this kal--we can get quick answers to questions before getting too frustrated!  

I write everything on my copy of the pattern.  For the second sock, I'll use a different color ink.  This is the first time I've used the pattern to track what I've done (I usually have a small notebook in my knitting bag).  It seems to be working so far.  I use the same marking system that you use!

You're welcome, JJ.  Happy Knitting!

Ginny

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 6:33 AM

Hi Kat, and to all the ladies,

Thanks so much for your help.  This is going to be fun.  It is nice to go on line and ask for help when we are all working on the same thing. It also keeps me motivated.

Thanks again and Happy Knitting

JJ

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
kat7914 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 7:06 AM

Ginny,

What a simple great idea.  Why didn't I think to do that?  Changing different color ink.  Sometimes it's the simple things we have trouble with.

I am going to my daughters today for a few days but will bring my knitting with me.  It's such a nice portable project. I'd love to teach the boys how to knit but doubt that'll happen.  I am taking my laptop so I can stay in touch and keep you posted.

I am on my second sock and ready to start the heel.  Only doing two repeats on the top really goes fast.  I need to get some 0 DPNs, though, I really don't like using the curly circ.  I even tried warming it and softening it in hot water.  It's just going to be a little curly no matter what, I guess.  I was only using the circs because I don't have the DPNs.  Now I get to use my JoAnns coupons!  yea!

Have a happy knitting day!

Kat

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,466
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 15, 2009 9:14 AM

With my backround in cross-stitch I find it easier to read color-coded charts. So I usually color in black and white charts, using a different color for each type of stitch symbol. I also add numbers across the bottom of the chart so it's easier for me to count the boxes.

I'm traveling today, so when I get home, I'll take a picture of my doctored chart and post it for you.

And I'm sorry about the misnumbered chart!! I'll check this and get it fixed. Thanks to all of you eagle-eyes out there.

Kathleen

Page 6 of 17 (255 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS