New Knit-a-Long

This post has 254 Replies | 14 Followers rated by 2 users
Not Ranked
Posts 12
KathyM@3 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 9:31 AM

Funny you should mention it  Kat -- went to JoAnn after work and got some #1 wood dpn's - had a 50% off coupon -- Yea!  The metal just doesn't feel as good, so I'm a happy knitter again.  Did my rib in #2 & switched to #1's for the pattern - looks better.  Got through the first pattern. 

Does anybody have a "toe " pattern to do a split toe, ie to wear with flip-flops?  I found one that has no toes - manicure socks... but I'm looking for a "mitten" type.

Kak

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,511
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 15, 2009 9:33 AM

I think there's one on knitty.com.

Kathleen

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Terry E wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 9:34 AM

I'm finally making some progress after "frogging" my work twice!  Thought I would post a picture. 

It's always fun to learn something new.  I never used a chart before!  I'm anxious to get to the heel and actually see the rest of the sock!  I read all the posts and they are really helpful!  Thanks again for all your great input!  BTW I'm using Jitterbug.  The color is Velvet Damson #118.  Needles are size 2.

Terry

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 11:16 AM

Kathleen,

That will be great to see your picture of your doctored chart.  I am always looking for new and better ways to knit by a chart. 

I am also working on a lace knitted wrap.  Of course it is done by a chart.  I wrote each row out on paper and the repeats.  That has helped, but I am excited to see how you color code your charts.

JJ Wright

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,511
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 15, 2009 11:37 AM

Terry--What a beautiful color!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
JanieW@4 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 11:48 AM

Kathleen,

I have a question about the charts again.  I know that this chart is numbered all on the right side.  From my experience knitting from a chart you knit from the right side on row 1 then knit row 2 from the left side.  Now do I knit all rows from the right side as numbered?

JJ Wright

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,511
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Jul 15, 2009 11:51 AM

Good question. If you're knitting flat, you read charts from both sides. If you're knitting in the round, you knit every row on the chart from right to left. So, yes, you knit all rows from the right side as numbered.

Kathleen

Not Ranked
Posts 4
AnnP wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 2:41 PM

Hi Kathleen, congratulations and becoming editor of Knitting Daily.  I'm just finishing a pair of socks, kniting the rib so will catch up when I've finished.  Only a couple of days. I like Cookie's sock patterns - have made several.  I have some Opal Sock yarn so I may use that or some of my own dyed wool.

See you soon,

Ann

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
DebbieR wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 2:48 PM

WOW Terry!

Really beautiful! I'm a blue person ...and your pattern makes those color variations bloom. Well done!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
cureuskitte wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 3:09 PM

I really hope you do. I MUCH prefer toe up socks. :) I'm going to try this knit along though. Wish me luck! I'm just learning about heels!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
SusanF@7 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 4:00 PM

I am enjoying this pattern because after the first repeat I can follow what is on my needles. I have transferred to Magic loop and away I go.I will see what happens at the heel when I read what others are experiencing in problems.I am using Noro Kureyon sock yarn in a mauve mix.I am still awaiting the emergence of "monkeys".I may enter this finished project in our local Fall Fair.

Canada Sue

Not Ranked
Posts 7
DeeJ wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 4:33 PM

I like the way you think.  I must be living right or something cosmic is going on, but a friend held a mystery sock class at her house last month, and it was the Monkey Sock.  I started and restarted 3 times and will restart once more with #1 needles instead of #2; my sock was too big and to the point that the pattern just wasn't evident.  A great pattern, and a great idea for a KAL.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
DebraS@20 wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 4:40 PM

This is for Kathryn M on the toe up socks - I do toe up all the time (I'm going to try to do the Monkey that way - just follow the chart backwards!).  There's a good free pattern online called "You're Putting me On Socks" which have a nice heel - but often I just run a normal heel doing the flap along the bottom of the heel or I do the sock as a tube and do an "afterthought heel". 

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 33
on Jul 15, 2009 5:43 PM

Hi Kathleen, Great to have you with us!

Do you use a reinforcing thread along with the 100% merino?  The feel of merino is always nice, but doesn't wear so well for socks.

Linda

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JoannO wrote
on Jul 15, 2009 7:55 PM

Can you please tell me how to find the KAL for the monkey socks?

josborn9444@aol.com

Page 7 of 17 (255 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS