Need help knitting button holes!

This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
AEsheila wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 2:45 AM

I have torn out my sweater so many times that it ruined the yarn trying to to knit a button hole. It is a cardigan that starts at the neck and works down to the bottom in one piece.  But I can not get past the first button hole on the neck ribbing.  I have been doing it on a small swatch of 23 st to pratice but can not do it.  Is there a video that will show how to knit a button hole?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
ElizaH wrote
on Jul 10, 2009 10:23 AM

Hi, AEsheila - I don't know if I can help you, I don't have any video. But I took a course in Japanese knitting once and the way she made buttonholes is what I have used ever after. So, for what it's worth, this is for a small button.

You knit to the stitch before the buttonhole. Slip that stich and knit the next (that's where the buttonhole will be) and slip the previous stitch (the one you just slipped and didn't knit ) over the stitch that you just knitted. Then put the yarn over the right needle and knit the rest of the row. On the way back, you knit the yarnover as an ordinary stitch, and that makes the buttonhole.

I hope this is understandable and that you can use it!

//ElizaH

Not Ranked
Posts 3
AEsheila wrote
on Jul 20, 2009 9:41 AM

Thanks and I did try it and it is great.  I did give up and through trial and many errors I did it this way.  For a 5/8 button.  I knit to the last four st.  #4st I knit than #3 I knit than passed the one I just did ( #4 ) before over the #3st. Than I knit the next st. and passed the #3st over the #2. so now I have two st left to the edge of the ribbing.  The next row I casted on the two st. I dropped.  This looks ok but can't wait to use yours on my next project.  Thanks again!

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS