Question about Mari Lynn Patrick's Family Circle "Modern Classic" easy sweater-HELP

This post has 11 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
surfPA816 wrote
on Aug 12, 2009 5:55 AM

Has anyone made Mari Lynn Patrick's "Modern Classic" sweater from the Family Circle easy sweaters book? It's on page 26.  It's done on a circular needle.    

I found the beginning of the instructions pretty explanatory and think I'm doing what it states.  My problem is that the piece continues to curl as I proceed.  I only have about 6" done so far, but I would have thought that it would not curl so much. What could I be doing wrong? It's a beautiful sweater and is done in one piece. It's an open cardigan, no buttons or clasps.

Any help out there for this project?  Thanks!

Chris in SC

Not Ranked
Posts 8
cgrice4949 wrote
on Nov 26, 2010 9:34 AM

I know that this is over a year later but I only learned to knit less than a year ago.  Did you complete the "Modern Classic" sweater.  I want to try it but I wanted to understand your comments.  I also noticed that the directions required 10.5 straight needles and 10.5 straight needles.  However it tells you to cast on with the "smaller needles".  Does this mean the straight needles?  

This would be my first sweater.  Right now I have only knitted baby caps since I started knitting in January 2010.  i would appreciate your help.  Should I try this sweater?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 26, 2010 10:15 AM

cgrice4949:
I also noticed that the directions required 10.5 straight needles and 10.5 straight needles.  However it tells you to cast on with the "smaller needles".  Does this mean the straight needles?  

Hi cgrice4949,

I think you meant one of the needle sizes to be different but listed both of them as 10.5.

I have been knitting for a long time but haven't done this sweater.  Generally speaking, when the instructions say to do something with the smaller needles, it means that you change to the smaller size needle.  ie.  two needle sizes are given in the instructions to use for the knitting say a 5mm needle and a 4mm needle.  Going to the smaller needle would be selecting the 4mm needle and knitting with that one.  Going to the bigger needle will mean knitting with the 5mm needle.

This has nothing to do with the needles being straight needles, a circular needle, or double pointed needles.  Look back at the beginning of the pattern instructions and under the "supplies needed", you will find two different sizes of needles.  This should help you out.

Good luck with this and welcome to the world of knitting.  It is always nice to meet another knitter, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 26, 2010 10:19 AM

surfPA816:
My problem is that the piece continues to curl as I proceed.  I only have about 6" done so far, but I would have thought that it would not curl so much. What could I be doing wrong?

Hi Chris in SC,

There are quite a few knitted projects that curl as you knit them up.  (I have not looked at this sweater.)  Usually once the item is finished, and then blocked, the curl comes out.

Someone else may have done this sweater and can offer more insight to it.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 8
cgrice4949 wrote
on Nov 27, 2010 5:05 AM

Thank you but the pattern clearly read 10.5 (7mm) straight needles and 10.5 (7mm) circular needle.  Then it starts "with smaller needles cast on"... I feel doomed from the start.  This pattern, Modern Classic  appeared in 98/99 issue in  Family Circle Easy Knitting magazine.  i found it in a book and want to try it as my first sweater because it said that this "cardigan is made all in one piece.  I thought that this would b easier than trying to assemble a sweater.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 27, 2010 10:03 AM

cgrice4949:
the pattern clearly read 10.5 (7mm) straight needles and 10.5 (7mm) circular needle.  Then it starts "with smaller needles cast on"... I feel doomed from the start.  This pattern, Modern Classic  appeared in 98/99 issue in  Family Circle Easy Knitting magazine.

Hi cgrice4949,

It sounds confusing to me too.  There should have been listed a set of smaller size needles but obviously this was left out of the pattern instructions. (This is not uncommon).  There will be a ribbing stitch pattern at the bottom of the sweater and this is likely where the smaller size needles would be used and then the larger needle size to knit up the main part of the sweater.

The circular needle will be used to knit the sweater in one piece up to the arm holes.  From there you will use the straight needles to knit up each front from the arm holes to the shoulder "seam" and then the back portion from the arm holes to the shoulder seam.

I would take a guess and say that the smaller needle size would be a 6mm or 6.5mm circular needle to get the ribbing done.

I do hope that some other knitter can shed some light on this sweater for you.  Have you checked on Ravelry to see if knitters there have made this sweater??

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 8
cgrice4949 wrote
on Nov 27, 2010 10:44 AM

Thank you for the description of what I can expect.  I will check on Ravelry. I don't know how to use Ravelry that well but I will try there.  Thanks again.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
cgrice4949 wrote
on Nov 27, 2010 10:59 AM

Checked Ravelry like you said - Bingo!! There was an errata with the correction of size 10 (6mm)! THANK YOU!.  Sweater doesn't look so good on those photos.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 27, 2010 3:13 PM

cgrice4949:
There was an errata with the correction of size 10 (6mm)! THANK YOU!.  

Hi cgrice4949,

You just made my day!  I am so delighted for you!!!  I knew there had to be a solution to the problem, sometimes it takes time to find it!  Bookmark the ravelry site because often a knitter/s there do have answers that can't be found here.  Ravelry also has an extensive membership that have a lot of insite to problems found in different patterns. 

Chuckles and happy knitting, Zoe Smile

PS  What color are you wanting to make this in? and who is the sweater for?

Not Ranked
Posts 4
surfPA816 wrote
on Nov 28, 2010 9:49 AM

I just noticed some responses to this year old email.  I put this project aside and haven't even looked at it...aggravated!  I saw some add'l responses with a correction to the instruction, so I'll probably go back and get it out to continue.  I don't know if I'll finish it or rip it out and start something else.  Good luck.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
surfPA816 wrote
on Nov 28, 2010 9:53 AM

Yikes!  This sounds more complicated than for a beginner. :(  I was using the circular rather than transferring to the straight needles to add on the stitches that expanded into the sleeves.  ????  By now I have forgotten how I added the stitches so I'll check that out again..  I'll check out Ravelry.  thanks!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Nov 28, 2010 11:16 AM

surfPA816:
This sounds more complicated than for a beginner.

Hi surfPA816,

Glad you are back to check up on what we are doing with your initial post about this sweater!  When you proceed in the pattern, the pattern should give you instructions as to when you are to change needles and when you are to start the top of the fronts and the top of the back portions.

The complicated or more advanced patterns for knitters depends on what degree the knitter is more or less comfortable in when it comes to larger projects.  For myself, I prefer to knit small projects but do understand a lot of the larger ones.  I have a lot of complicated issues in my home life and really find concentrating long enough to follow through with a larger project is often too overwhelming for me.  But as a knitter, I have that need to knit.

Let us know how you make out with this, Zoe Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS