yarn recommendations

This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
DebS@37 wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 6:54 AM

Anybody have thoughts on best yarn(s) to use for this project?

D in Wisconsin

Not Ranked
Posts 3
nmatkar9 wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 7:07 AM

Good question!  Being here in old blighty I can't seem to find any UK retailers with Tahki Donegal Tweed, and I don't want to get it delivered from the US and pay shocking postage and customs charges (again...)!

Normal 0 false false false EN-GB X-NONE X-NONE MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I was looking at Debbie Bliss Donegal Aran Tweed, it seems to have a similar gauge but this is my first proper knitted project (i.e. not a scarf/bag/purse) and I'm a bit nervous about substitutions!  Bit nervous about it all really!

Not Ranked
Posts 8
on Aug 14, 2009 7:13 AM

I'm wondering if Lambs Pride Worsted would be a good substitution. It doesn't have the donegal in it, but is a very nice yarn to knit with at a very good price.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Florestine wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 8:52 AM

I considered Brown Sheep, too, since it's reasonably priced.  Also looked at the Debbie Bliss tweed which as our friend in old blighty mentioned seems to be similar.  I've never felt the Tahki tweed in person and wondering if it's scratchy?  Wouldn't want a hood that made my head itch and tweed makes me think itchy :)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Aug 14, 2009 8:52 AM

Same here -- 18 balls at $14.95 ea. is too rich for my blood, but I so badly want to do this KAL! (And wool sweaters with long sleeves underneath are generally too warm for me.) So I've ordered some merino worsted from Knit Picks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,489
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Aug 14, 2009 10:04 AM

You can use whatever yarn you want to that meets the gauge of the sweater. Just make sure to swatch!

For further posts on this KAL, please reply only to my "official KAL post" near the top of the post list.

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS