THE OFFICIAL CENTRAL PARK HOODIE KAL POST!

This post has 837 Replies | 17 Followers rated by 14 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,490
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Aug 14, 2009 9:47 AM

Hello KALers! Welcome to the new project, the Central Park Hoodie (now called the CPH). If you don't have your pattern, buy it here, and let's get started.

One housekeeping item--from now on, please reply to this post only so we can look at one string and see everyone's progress, and thoughts about the project.

I'm going to start swatching this weekend!

Kathleen

Not Ranked
Posts 1
ElenaB@4 wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 9:58 AM

I'm in as I have been meaning to buckle down with this pattern months ago but got bogged down in the ribbing.  Hopefully the inspiration of others will let me see some progress on the CPH>

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 120
Peggan wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 9:59 AM

I would like to participate.  Could you summarize the basics of a knit-along?  Is there a time schedule a online meeting somewhere that we all attend? Or do we all just start knitting and discuss the project as we go along?   Sizing is still an uncertainty for me.  What amount of ease from body measurements do you use . The model on the pattern is a very trim young woman -- do people usually put the same amount of ease for larger sizes?  I know it is an individual thing but any advice on this?  (I keep knitting things for my grown daughter and they turn out huge.)  

The recommended yarn seems to be wool--what about a washable wool? 

I have not participated in the KAL before. My name is Peggy and I live in Southern California (Irvine).  I have knit off and on for many years. I took it up again about three years ago when I retired from my long time job (well, they had a down-sizing and asked people to volunteer to leave--but that is another story).

Hope to see other posts soon.  I am trying to figure how to read this forum with its many threads.

Peggy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,490
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Aug 14, 2009 10:00 AM

How Does A KAL Work?

You simply get the yarn, the pattern, and any other materials and start knitting! You check into the forum as much as you want to, learning from others' posts and posting your own questions or comments, and PICTURES, please!

Kathleen

Not Ranked
Posts 3
MichelleL@39 Big Smile [:D] wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 10:09 AM

I am so excited that this pattern was chosen. I have had the pattern for a while now and this is just the thing I needed to get it started. I ordered my yarn today(City Tweed from Knitpicks in Brocade-a rich purple color) and I can't wait till it gets here so I can start swatching.

Michelle

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 120
Peggan wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 10:15 AM

Thank you for answering the ease question which I found on another thread.  This is my test to see if clicking on the "reply" to the original post at the top rather than the responses puts this in the right place.  They really should make these systems easier to handle!

Peggy

Not Ranked
Posts 3
LeaV wrote

I'm so glad we have chosen this for our next KAL - I started CPH over a year ago and have only knit 3 inches.  Now I'll have some incentive to get it finished before the colder weather gets here!  I'm using Peruvian Highland Dongegal from Elann.com in a nice Pine green tweed.  Now to go dig it out of the UFO bin and get going!

Lea

Not Ranked
Posts 9
DianaT wrote

I just ordered my yarn too from Knitpicks, City Tweed HW in Jacquard.  About the sizing question...Does a 36 mean your actual bust size or is there some "ease" added in?

Not Ranked
Posts 7
ladydii54 wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 10:20 AM

Hope I have a nice Irish Aran in my stash that will work for this sweater as I love this pattern. My objectives for today are to purchase the pattern, find my yarn, needles, etc and if I am lucky try my swatch. With three boys under 2 time to concentrate doesn't happen often! I have admired this pattern since it was first issued and am excited to get started and make something for me for a change.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Sara@20 wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 10:34 AM

Hi! I'm really excited  since my daughter just chose this very sweater to replace one she has worn out! I am ordering my yarn and really looking forward to my first KAL!

Sara

Not Ranked
Posts 6
CarolB@60 wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 10:38 AM

I've never participated in a KAL so this is a new experience for me as well as making this hoodie.  Will be perfect as a gift for my daughter!  Now to order the pattern and find some yarn....may require a trip to my LYS!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
SusanM@95 wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 10:52 AM

I'm in! I started this over a year ago and have most of one sleeve done (wanted to begin with a smaller piece to make sure I could commit - ha!). this is a great way to build momentum and keep it going. knit away!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 51
lorrainegd wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 10:55 AM

So I read here that we get all our stuff together and just start knitting. Looks like were starting swatching. Are there "landmarks" along the way? Or ony timing orginization like that? I know that some of us are faster knitters and may knit ahead, but I have seen other KAL that do this, kinda set a goal for the week or what ever. My daughter loves this sweater and swears she willw ear it all the time if I knit it for her. I too am wondering about washable wool. I am leaning toward Knit Picks Swish as I know that it is comfy for my daughter who is VERY picky and has sensitive skin. And I am also wondering about ease with this sweater. Daughter measures 31" - would 1" ease be enough. the next size be TOO much? If I put this much work into it, I really want to make sure it will fit her ok. Sorry I have SO many questions.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
JenniferA wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 11:05 AM

Have the magazine issue and the yarn.  Ready to swatch.  My first adult sweater.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
BlackGink wrote
on Aug 14, 2009 11:27 AM

I've been drooling over this project for some time.  The only reason I haven't started is the 100% wool yarn.  My skin can't handle that.  Is there any good sites that recommend yarn substitutions? 

Deborah

Page 1 of 56 (838 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS