THE OFFICIAL CENTRAL PARK HOODIE KAL POST!

This post has 837 Replies | 17 Followers rated by 14 users
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Nov 6, 2009 7:30 PM

OK, the sleeves are finally seamed to the rest of the CPH and I am ready to start picking up stitches for the front band. Kelleigh, I'm with you --- I have a long enough circular needle to hold all the stitches and I don't want another seam on the hood. For one thing, it is a virtual guarantee that the band seam will not align with the hood seam, which will drive me crazy every time I wear it. So I'm going to try it all as one really, really, long band.

Thank you to everyone who has posted on this KAL. I have had so much fun! And I've learned a lot from this, my 1st sweater knit in pieces:

1. Positive Ease is extremely important when thinking about knitting a sweater. Especially if I ever want to wear anything underneath it. Sadly, this sweater will be relegated to being worn over tank tops only - I doubt anything with sleeves would fit underneath. Tongue Tied

2. Not only do I hate seaming, but I'm bad at it. Very bad. Terrible. One might use the word "appalling." Sad Seamless all the way, baby. (OK, maybe a 3-needle bind-off in the shoulders and a kitchener stitch here and there, but that's it. I'm drawing a line.)

3. I LOVE hoodies. This is the first hoodie I've knitted myself, but if one were to look in my closet, one would note at least 3 other (store-bought) knitted hoodies, 2 hooded sweatshirts, and there are several patterns I've tagged as "that looks like fun to knit and would look fabulous on me. Smile

4. Color is my friend. After seeing the variety of wonderful colors people used to knit their CPHs and the beautiful finished products, I noticed my tendency toward neutrals (smoke blue, grey, brown). It's time to branch out and knit in color! My next sweater will be "Cranberry Red", or "Emerald Green", or (dare I?) "Allspice Orange" Smile 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 120
Peggan wrote
on Nov 6, 2009 8:27 PM

Kelleigh:

Hi all.

One quick question:

Is there any reason that I can't do the front bands and the hood band all at one time?  I have the right size needle and it is long enough to fit all of the stitches onto it plus, I don't want another seam on the hood.  Any help is appreciated.

Kathleen,

You posted a picture of a finished CPH that belongs to Fairboxie, not me ( I am Kelleigh).  I hope that you can pull that photo from todays post mentioning the next KAL and correct it.  I want Fairboxie to have her day and I'd like to have mine when I do Finally finish my CPH. 

Also Kathleen, you made yours longer and I took the body of mine to 18" so how many stitches did/will you pick up for the front/hood bands?  Hope I did mine right but I am just getting started so plenty of time to rip it back out if I need to modify the # of picked up stitches.

l.

Wonderful to see more completed CPH project photos posted!  Good job!  I am pretty sure, Kelleigh, that it would be fine to do all the band together. I used the kitchener stitch to join the band parts though and there was no visible seam.   I also made mine quite a lot longer than the pattern called for as I am tall. What I did was note how many stitcthes were called for the original measurement. Then I divided that original number of stitches by the original number of inches to get stitches per inch.  Then you can apply that to your new measure.    That is what I did and it worked well.  I have worn mine several times now and have really enjoyed it.

I am looking forward to the next KAL and learning how to do Fair Isle.

Thanks for a great KAL all of you!

Peggy, S California

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Nov 7, 2009 2:55 PM

Peggan:

I am pretty sure, Kelleigh, that it would be fine to do all the band together.

Peggy, S California

Thanks Peggy.  That is just what I'm doing although the weight of the whole thing is a bit cumbersome.  Still, it seems easier to me.

Thanks again for your input.

~Kelleigh

KELLEIGH~~

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Nov 7, 2009 3:07 PM

iloveschnauzers:

OK, the sleeves are finally seamed to the rest of the CPH and I am ready to start picking up stitches for the front band. Kelleigh, I'm with you --- I have a long enough circular needle to hold all the stitches and I don't want another seam on the hood. For one thing, it is a virtual guarantee that the band seam will not align with the hood seam, which will drive me crazy every time I wear it. So I'm going to try it all as one really, really, long band.

You were thinking as I was.  I know that it would never line up the way it did on the three needle bind-off for the hood.   I just don't think I picked enough stitches so I have to go back to the beginning because it doesn't look like the ribbing on the bottom.  No matter, I'm not that far into it so I won't be too upset about it.  (Darn homework is really getting in the way of my knitting time.)

Thank you to EVERYONE who has finished and posted the great results!  I am very much in love with this cardigan and I haven't even finished it.  It does feel nice when I put it on though.  Also;

Fred, (I posted about him earlier) was such a sweetheart to help me out with the seaming of the shoulders and he really knows what he's doing!  I only wish you could have seen the beautiful pullovers he has knitted.....very seriously talented.  My next project is a cabled pullover he insists I have to make.  I'll start that as soon as I crochet another jacket.  Wink

Happy weekend all!

~Kelleigh

KELLEIGH~~

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Nov 7, 2009 9:38 PM

Finished! 

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 58
mamadeitz wrote
on Nov 9, 2009 5:04 AM

I finished yesterday. I used red heart fiesta or a better grade it looks fine but I blocked pieces and it seemed like it went back to original state. and ends curled until it was finished withedging and sewed together. It does fit my daughter though.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Chris@147 wrote
on Nov 9, 2009 5:37 PM

Here is my finished CPH.   I wanted a zipper instead of the buttons and also wanted  the hood so it could be tied.  I was happy with the way the colors came together.  As a male knitter, I was excited about making something special for my sister.  She's gonna love it.

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Nov 9, 2009 10:16 PM

Chris@147:

Here is my finished CPH.   I wanted a zipper instead of the buttons and also wanted  the hood so it could be tied.  I was happy with the way the colors came together.  As a male knitter, I was excited about making something special for my sister.  She's gonna love it.

Chris,

She is going to love it!  Great color combo too.  I want my next one to look like a bomber or varsity jacket.  You are a sweet brother. Smile

~Kelleigh

KELLEIGH~~

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Nov 10, 2009 6:59 AM

Chris,

LOVE the blue and white color combination and the way you put them together. The zipper and hoodie ties are great ideas too. You sister is gonna love it!

Not Ranked
Posts 4
RobertaK@4 wrote
on Nov 11, 2009 10:40 AM

Hi Peggy,

What size circular did you use for the front/hood band? I mean how many inches long was it? I appreciate your comments about calculating the stitches since I am short and I had to make mine shorter. I would also like to avoid seaming if I don't have to do one.

Thanks,

Roberta

Not Ranked
Posts 4
RobertaK@4 wrote
on Nov 11, 2009 10:46 AM

Hi all,

I am so far behind on the cph it's not funny but I really want to finish it. I love the pattern and this will be the first sweater that I have actually made for myself!! So far I am 2/3 of the way done on the back and so far I have not had any trouble since I figured out my guage. I just had to make mine a bit shorter since I am only 5' tall. I cut back on the length of the bottom band to 2.5 inches instead of 4 inches, so I will have to recalculate the measurement on the front band and sleeves as well.

I AM DETERMINED TO FINISH NO MATTER HOW LONG IT TAKES!!

And when I am done I will post my finished pic!!

Roberta

Not Ranked
Posts 4
RobertaK@4 wrote
on Nov 11, 2009 10:48 AM

Hi Chris,

Your sweater looks great! How did you do the front band on the hood?

Thanks, Roberta

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Nov 11, 2009 11:31 AM

Hi Roberta!

I made mine shorter too since I'm only 5' 2". I kept the bottom band the same but shortened the body so the sweater would sit right. When it came time to pick up stitches for the front band, I measured how many stitches per inch I averaged in the bottom band ribbing (16 sts=4inches for me, or 4 sts per inch). Then I measured how many rows per inch I averaged in the body - 21 sts=4 inches, or roughly 5 sts per inch. So, I picked up 4 stitches out of every 5 rows for the front band and it turned out great!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 37
on Nov 11, 2009 12:15 PM

iloveschnauzers:

Then I measured how many rows per inch I averaged in the body - 21 sts=4 inches, or roughly 5 sts per inch. So, I picked up 4 stitches out of every 5 rows for the front band and it turned out great!

I meant 21 ROWS=4 inches, or roughly 5 ROWS per inch. Sorry if this caused any confusion.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 19
Chris@147 wrote
on Nov 11, 2009 12:59 PM

Hi Roberta,

I used the smaller of the needles used for the sweater and picked up and knit in stockinette stitch for 5-6 rows.  On the following row (a WS row), I knit instead of purled the stitches.  It made a nice fold line when I was finished.  I then knit 5-6 more rows in stockinette stitch and bound off.  I then folded the band on the fold line and tacked it to the inside of the hood with a whip stitch.  I needed to make an outlet for the ties, so I knit the left and right front bands separately from the hood, then seamed  (or grafted) the bands on the inside of the sweater, but not on the outside, thus making an opening for the I-cord tie. 

Hope this helps.

BTW, my sister loves the sweater. 

Page 54 of 56 (838 items) « First ...  < Previous  52 53 54 55 56  Next > | RSS