Reading Chart with "No Stitches"

This post has 10 Replies | 4 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
BarbaraD@44 wrote
on Sep 22, 2009 11:17 AM

What do I do with the "no stitches" that are embedded within the Climbing Vine Sweater from the 2008 Winter Magazine.  Help!  Stuck....

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 54
ALA wrote
on Sep 22, 2009 11:53 AM

"No stitch" actually means exactly that. Because it's not always possible to do a graph-style chart that is shaped like the actual piece of knitting, to make the chart work out sometimes designers put in a placeholder square that is marked "no stitch". You skip that one altogether and go to the next square that indicates a stitch. You don't skip an actual stitch on the needle, you just ignore that square on the chart and do the following charted stitch in the next actual stitch. For example, if your chart says "k, k, no stitch, p", over the next three stitches you would knit, knit, purl.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 260
Tephra wrote
on Sep 22, 2009 11:54 AM

The "no stitch" boxes in a chart are just there to make the chart rectangular and make other symbols line up with the stitches they represent. The "no stitch" box has no corresponding stitch on your needles so just ignore it and move to the next box in the chart.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
JeanP@12 wrote
on Nov 3, 2009 3:58 PM

Thank you! I don't usually use charts. They're not my favorite way to knit, but I can follow them. However, I hadn't come across this No Stitch before. It threw me and, while I thought it might mean there wasn't any stitch there, I wasn't quite sure how to proceed. Now I can go forward knowing I'm doing this right after all. Thanks again, JP  Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lisaprozzo wrote
on Jan 21, 2012 12:23 AM

Hello,  this explanation is perfectly understood. Thank you, LisaSmileYes

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mzagrai wrote
on Aug 5, 2013 12:24 AM

I have used a chart for a sock but I have not found the "no stitch" before; thank you for the explanation. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
rcandelo wrote
on Sep 8, 2013 12:51 PM

Thank you this reply was really helpful to me

Not Ranked
Posts 6
lovebear wrote
on Dec 16, 2013 3:41 PM

I really now understand.  I have not completed or tried a pattern because of this no-stitch.  Now I have the idea imbebded in my mind   .

Idea     Thanks!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
consty wrote
on Feb 3, 2014 5:01 AM

Thank you I think I understand your explanation of 'no stitch'., which means I have a lot of unraveling to do, DRAT.  I wandered how I got extra stitches.

I should have checked it out in the first place.  The pattern is from Vogue and have sent for help, no reply yet, so I thought I'd try for a explanation another way from a different web site. Will continue for explanations from you again,(if you don't mind) rather than Vogue.  Cheers Consty

Not Ranked
Posts 1
the dragon wrote
on Feb 16, 2014 5:55 AM

Thank you for explaining this no stitch syndrome, I have a lot of charts that have this symbol but have put off knitting them as I didn't know what to do,  thanks to your help I can now go ahead and get started on some gorgeous patterns that I have in my collection

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Silknit wrote
on Aug 10, 2014 11:57 AM

Thank you. Very clear cut explanation.

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS