Casting On Extra Stitches

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 8
CherylG wrote
on Sep 25, 2009 2:18 PM

I'm making my first pair of mittens.  I need to cast on stitches for the thumb.  What kind of cast on do I use?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
saspero wrote
on Sep 25, 2009 2:35 PM

I'm truly not being sarcastic!  What type of cast on do you know how to do?  With the exception of the long-tail cast on, you should be able to use any kind you are comfortable with.  Good luck with your mittens.  Sally

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SHARONL@22 wrote
on Sep 26, 2009 3:37 PM

Try the Backward Loop method for a few stitches.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mtheoret wrote
on Sep 15, 2011 1:36 PM

What is the backward loop method? I'm working on some mittens that calls for this type of cast on.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 15, 2011 5:58 PM

hi mtheoret,

Here is a pretty easy to follow link to the method of casting on in a row where you already have stitches on your needle.  The video is clear and explains how you can use this method.  Hope you enjoy.   

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iRlU1mXoZrg

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Fernandro wrote
on Sep 19, 2011 10:22 PM

In knitting, casting on with the thumb method is quick and easy, but the thumb cast-on (sometimes called e-loop) doesn’t look as nice as the cable cast-on — and it isn’t easy to knit into. The two-strand and cable cast-on methods should be your first choice for beginning a project.

Still, the thumb cast-on has its uses (such as for replacing cast-off stitches in a buttonhole or for a quick and easy increase stitch in the middle of a row), so knowing how to do it is worthwhile. As with other cast-on methods, you need just one needle to cast on with the thumb method.  Replica Chopard

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS