Yarn holder for Portuguese knitting

This post has 20 Replies | 9 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
uaithne wrote
on Nov 4, 2009 3:51 PM

I have recently learned how to do Portuguese knitting but have been unable to find a good source for the yarn holder pin thingy.  Does anyone know what I am talking about and/or where I can find these thingys?Smile

Thank you so much in advance for any and all help.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
LurdesF wrote
on Nov 5, 2009 4:54 AM

Hi. I'm Portuguese and the pin I have belonged to my Grandmother... they are not easy to find even here.  If you are confortable knitting with  the yarn around your neck, that's what I do when I forget the pin.  However, I'll try to find you one and then, if I succeed, I'll send it to you.

I'll keep you informed.

Lurdes (Portugal)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
uaithne wrote
on Nov 5, 2009 8:16 PM

Thank you so much Lurdes.  I do knit with the yarn around my neck but find it not very comfortable.  That is so very sweet of you to look for me. 

Since you are Portuguese I will tell you that I absolutely LOVE Fado.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
LeslieC@24 wrote
on Nov 6, 2009 7:22 AM

I'M NOT POTUGUESE,  BUT MY BESTFRIEND IS.   SHE SIMPLY  PINS A LARGE  SAFTEY PIN TO THE FRONT OF HER SHOULDER AND RUNS THE YARN THROUGH THE PIN.   SHE SAID THAT GIVES HER THE TENSION SHE NEEDS.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 260
Tephra wrote
on Nov 6, 2009 12:58 PM

Never having seen one I'm not sure this will help, but if all you need is a pin that has a loop you thread your yarn through (and if it can be closed loop) then maybe an eyeglass holder pin? (They even have a knitting one.)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Nov 6, 2009 4:05 PM

Hi there.

I did a quick search and came up with this:

http://andreawongknits.com/

The pins you are looking for are here for $5.50 each.

Hope this helps,

Kelleigh

KELLEIGH~~

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
uaithne wrote
on Nov 6, 2009 4:38 PM

Thanks for the links Leslie, Tephra and  Kelleigh.  I appreciate them all.

Lurdes, if you do find one, whether or not I buy any of these from the links provided,  I would love to buy one from you and pay for shipping.  While these are great, one from Portugal would, to me, add a bit of magic to my knitting.  Wink  Thank you so much Lurdes.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
TrishM@4 wrote
on Nov 25, 2009 9:00 AM

See also http://knitforbrains.net/?tag=portuguese-knitting for diy alternatives to a formal knitting pin. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MoniCabral wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 4:49 AM

Hi,

I'm from Portugal too, and it's very easy to buy a yarn holder, here.  I both mine last year when i began knitting!

Do you wan't me to send you one?

Monica

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
Lee@2 wrote
on Nov 26, 2009 9:58 PM

Andrea Wong haas them on her website - andreawongknits. I learned how to PK and don't use a pin nor do I put my yarn around my neck. It works just fine. Have fun it is a great way to knit since stress on your hands in minimal.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
Mrgcole wrote
on Nov 27, 2009 6:04 AM

I recently got my video and PIN HOLDER from Andrea Wong Site.. I love it.

Maggie

Hi, brand new to knitting daily.  I don't get Knitting Daily shows on T.V.  I am new at knitting socks and have horrible time with heels.trying tube sock pattern for a change.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
theeema wrote
on Feb 6, 2010 5:28 PM

Hi! So how DO you hold your yarn if you do PK?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
devaultmc wrote
on Jun 17, 2010 1:47 PM

I have found that a binder clip (available at office supply stores) works quite well.  Pinch the handles until it opens and put your yarn in it.  Then you can just open it again and pinch it onto your shirt. 

I did not like the pin (not sharp enough and I don't like making holes in my clothes) and while the "around the neck" thing works quite well in winter, it is just awful in the heat of a Mississippi summer.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
uaithne wrote
on Dec 2, 2010 9:33 AM

Thanks for the replies.  I received one and I LOVE it!!  My purling flies with this method.  

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Lori1551 wrote
on Feb 2, 2011 9:38 AM

I made my own and cheap.  I took a picture hook (for hanging pictures on a wall) and slipped it on to a safety pin and voila I have a knitting pin.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS