How do you feel about Felt?

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
ForumModerator
AmyCM wrote
on May 20, 2008 6:18 AM

What is it about felt?

Here's a quickie video from youtube that shows how quick and easy it is to needlefelt. 

--Amy Clarke Moore

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
PrincessG wrote
on May 24, 2008 8:39 PM

i would love to try that! the only thing is that i am afraid i might end up stabbing myself! lol

where would i go to get the equipment. i have been to my craftstore but they dont sell it. what a bummer ay..

is it expensive to buy all the rovings etc. for it?

xoxo

PrincessG         

Dont take people for granted, beacuse one day you will realise you have lost a diamond while you were too buysing collecting stones....

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
ForumModerator
AmyCM wrote
on May 26, 2008 3:14 PM

Hi Princess G--Needlefelting is very affordable. A lot of places sell getting started kits--so you don't even have to think about gathering up all the supplies you need. But they are: a foam pad, a medium wool (such as a Romney or Corriedale), and felting needles (a range is nice).

if you google "needle felting kits" you'll get a lot of options.

You tube.com is a great resource for how-to videos.

Have fun!

Amy CM

--Amy Clarke Moore

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 10:18 AM

Hello there,

I love making felt. Its such a lovely process. I like the messy wet felting using merino tops (I'm not sure if you have a different name for this in the US). I've never tried the needle felting, though I do like the look of the figures you can make using that method.

Today I had a glorious afternoon with my class of seven to eight year olds. I introduced them to the joys of making felt. They were really keen and we ended up with ten completed items drying on a makeshift line just outside the classroom. (The rest of the class were rather envious, but I gave them the task of painting paper with coffee and stewed tea ready for the class to make their own pirate maps later on. They also produced some designs which we will look at later - this is for a felted "Welcome" sign to be put up in the school entrance.)

The children just couldn't believe the range of colours I was able to bring in for them. They were asked to use one of the darker colours to start with then add bright coloured specks to create patterns. Such fun. They were astonished, when we had tidied up, to find that the box that held the wool tops looked nearly as full as it had when we started.

Mandy:)

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS