Knitting Fearlessly...or even with fear

This post has 19 Replies | 1 Follower rated by 1 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 24, 2010 8:19 PM

That looks like fun.  What yarn will you use.  Will you be using large size circular needles?  I love working with large needles sometimes, and using all nice and chunky yarn.  Then at some point I want to go back to fine and smaller ones.  It's crazy. 

I was given a small kit by my neighbor's daughter who raises llamas.  It was some fleece and a bobin with begin instructions to introduction to spinning.  How did you begin spinning?    How difficult was it?

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jul 25, 2010 10:29 AM

I used some leftover silk yarn from another project. The free pattern is fairly easy when you put stitch markers in to divide the pattern repeats. It turned out pretty well. I just need to wash and block it. I'll post photos soonest.

I used size 8 needles to show off the variegated yarn.

The last moebius I did went to a woman undergoing cancer treatment (friend's minister's wife). I used my soft handspun wool/silk blend. A "twist" on prayer shawls.

I have some handspun thick/thin that is awaiting a project. I'm just waiting for inspiration.

http://low-downfiberartsgroup.blogspot.com/

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 29, 2010 7:52 PM

Hi Denise, 

I viewed the cast on for the mobius.  Then later on I saw a program where they were showing how to get the same effect by knitting on a circular needle but just deliverately twisting the stitch on the beginning row which would of course make all following rows twist as well.  Do you think that is the same thing, but just a different technique? 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Jul 30, 2010 10:43 AM

I think I've tried something close to what you are describing. The end effect is the same. You should end up with a 1/2 knit and purl facing out, growing in both directions with a 1/2 twist. That is a true moebius (however you wish to spell it).

People who do not like this effect will knit a rectangle and seam the short ends. The effect is similar. Not a true moebius, but may be aesthetically pleasing. The seam can be visible.

There are many roads to Rome, paths to enlightenment. It all depends on what works for you.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Jul 30, 2010 10:13 PM

Hi Denise, 

Thank you for the info on moebius.   I will practice the video technique, just to be able to master it, even though it is more detailed than just twisting the first row.  It does look like lots more fun. 

Page 2 of 2 (20 items) < Previous  1 2 | RSS