Spectrum Scarf from the Knitted Lace PDF

This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
KarenW@72 wrote
on Dec 15, 2009 1:31 PM

Hello,

I was looking at the Spectrum Scarf pattern, and I wondered if the four strands were held together throughout?  Is it easier to buy lots of balls of yarn or do you separate 1 skein into multiple balls?  Also, what are some knitters' methods for keeping all the yarn strands from tangling?

Thanks for answering newbie questions!

Karen W.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 984
AndreaW wrote
on Dec 16, 2009 6:40 PM

Hi Karen....

I just checked the pattern to be sure + yes, there are 4 strands of yarn held together throughout the scarf. However, the color of those 4 strands changes as you go along. You should try reading through the pattern first to get an idea of how it will happen.  You start off with 4 strands of the same color. After a certain # of rows you will switch one strand to the next color, then another strand after a few more rows. Gradually this makes one color "fade" into the next color.

As to how many balls of yarn to use...that may depend on what you have on hand. The yarn used in the pattern calls for only one skein of each color. Unless you are planning to make 2 or more scarves the same....I would divide each skein into 2 balls....then knit using the ends fr both ends of each ball. (One inside end/ one outside end per ball) That will give you a total of 4 ends of each color. The ball will just kind of "tumble around" as you knit, feeding you 2 strands. I have a yarn winder though so that helps a lot. If you are hand winding balls, you need to learn how to make the ones that will center feed. Otherwise you would have to divide each color into 4 balls. The yarn they call for sounds "yummy" but too expensive to just buy extra balls. If I already had 2 balls each color or was making 2 or more identical scarves...I might use them all instead of bothering w/ the dividing.

Next ??? was to avoid tangling. I tend to keep one or two colors on either side of my lap when sitting. Either in a bag or not.  Sometimes a plastic grocery bag can be good if you have to jump up suddenly or need to keep the yarn clean (pets/ away fr home?).  At the end of rows I try to alternate turning first one way then the other so the yarns don't keep twisting around each other. ie: row 1: twist....row 2: untwist.

Hope some of this helps.  Ask more ???'s if you need more help!!!!

Take Care .... Andrea

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
KarenW@72 wrote
on Dec 17, 2009 8:34 AM

Andrea,

Thank you so much!  Yes, the specific yarn is very expensive and separating it into at least 2 balls sounds better.  One of our LYSs has winders that customers can use, so that would work for me.

I also like your suggestion of turning one way and then the other after the rows - all your suggestions, really!

Thanks again for your reply!

Karen W.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 984
AndreaW wrote
on Dec 17, 2009 7:29 PM

Hi Karen...

So glad the info helped!!! Great you have access to a winder. I'de be lost w/o one. Actually I have 2...one upstairs...one downstairs.  i'm spoiled!!!  I knit + crochet constantly + my husband does rug hooking w/ wool yarn (not constantly!!!)  so they do get used a lot.

The concept they are using for this scarf is actually pretty neat. I've used it before w/ 2 strands of sport/ dk wt yarns + a 7mm hook to crochet round ripple baby blankets. For eg: one started w/ 2 strands of white to do a center piece. Then I swapped out one white for a lt pink + did 2-3 rnds.  Then worked w/ 2 lt pink for a few rnds. Then 2-3 rnds w/ 1 lt pink + 1 dk pink. Then I worked to desired sz w/ 2 dk pink. It was just a small blanket so quit there + it looked like a flower...very pretty. If I'd wanted larger I could have "faded" into lt green then darker green for leaves.  I have knit one of these as well fading back + forth between red/ royal blue/ white/ grey/ lt blue. Looked rather Nordic. Good way to use up odds + ends + non matching dye lots as well. Could be done w/ different #'s of strands....just use a larger than normal needle/ hook. You'll see what looks good. After you make the scarf this will probably make more sense!!!

Enjoy making the scarf. Post back if you have any questions.

Take Care .... Andrea

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS