Nantucket jacket from winter 2006 issue

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 4
dsikes wrote
on Jan 16, 2010 6:54 PM

I am knitting the nantucket jacket on pg 62 of the winter 2006 issue and think I am doing the twist wrong.  Has anyone done this sweater and can you help?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 20, 2010 1:50 AM

Hi...

I haven't done this sweater...but I just looked @ it in my copy of the magazine. The stitch makes sense to me so will be happy to try + help if you want. Are you having trouble with doing it on the right side or the wrong side of the work?

Without knowing what is causing your "hiccup" I'll offer this suggestion. Try not to do what we are used to doing in knitting. We always knit (or purl) the NEXT stitch on the left needle, drop it off + go on to the next stitch. In this patt you really need to forget about "normal" and just follow step by step what they are saying. Once it "clicks" for you, you will wonder why it seemed hard...it's not...truly!!!

On the RS rows: you will be working with the next 2 sts on the left needle. Knit them tog...the new loop/st will be on the right needle...but do NOT drop the old st off the left needle yet. Now you are going to knit ONLY THE FIRST ST of the 2 you just knit tog (on the left needle). Now you can drop the 2 sts that have been worked fr the left needle. Basically you started with 2 sts + you still have 2 sts...same #'s but they will look twisted...a cable effect.

On the WS rows:  you are just going to purl into the 2ND st on the left needle (ignore the 1st one for now), do not drop any sts off either needle,  THEN purl the 1st st... next. Now drop both sts off the left needle. Again...you have started with 2 sts + you still have 2 sts...but they've been twisted.

Pretty neat actually!!!  I've done a pr of socks fr a Garnstudio patt that used a similar st.

If this doesn't help...please post back explaining what doesn't make sense.

Take Care .... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 4
dsikes wrote
on Jan 20, 2010 3:12 PM

I will try that.  I think I was doing it right but was very unsure.  I had to make index cards to keep myself from reading the wrong chart.  heehee.  It doesn't help that I have a 3 year old and 2 teenagers talking to me all the time.  I can't wait to restart it for the thousandth time.  It was looking good but when I realized I had made a mistake I had to start over or it would have bugged me.  I'll let you know if I have more questions ...hoping to start in the next day.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
dsikes wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 1:56 PM

I think I was doing that stitch correct.  It's just when I was doing the purl side, it didn't seem to go easily.  I always had to help the stitch on with my thumb fingernail.  (rather a pain). 

Next question....I am at the part in the pattern where it says to work patt to m work 0 sts in seed, work chart b over 5 sts, work 0 sts in seed st, sl m; rep from*.....Then it says can remove markers and work in pattern.  My question is: where there were seed stitches am I doing that or am I doing chart B there?  What do you think?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 5:31 PM

Hi...

Remember, I haven't actually made this sweater, so I'm doing my best fr just reading the patt + looking @ the available pics!!!

Your comment re: doing the WS (purl side) rows  in patt makes sense. It IS going to be a bit more awkward doing these sts ...they were just worked as a "K2 tog" on the previous row...that makes them "stick tog". It isn't going to be as easy to work them as it would be after plain st st.  I'de expect to use my thumbnail. You may be able to loosen up a bit when working the RS rows...just don't go so loose it looks bad or doesn't match what you've already done.

On to your ????.  As best I can tell fr reading the patt + looking @ the pics...there  are 2 sections/ columns of seed st on the sweater back + 2 more @ the sweater front....each one sort of halfway between side seams + body center...right?  These seed st columns seem to dec gradually in  @ the waist...right?  ( It's a great way to hide shaping)  Until you have dec'ed down to 100 (100, 116, 132, 148) sts total across the back. It would be helpful here if I knew what sz you were making!!!  Anyway, chart B has 5 sts in it. Whatever # of sts you have left in your seed st column...you will center the 5 sts of chart B in there.

ie: if you are making the sz 34....you will work 0 sts in seed st, then the 5 sts of chart B, then 0 sts of seed st.

ie: if you are making the sz 52....you will work 12 sts in seed st, then the 5 sts of chart B, then 12 sts of seed st.

Once you have set up the new patt (chart B)...you will continue to work that chart over these 5 sts as established. I would keep working all the sts/ charts as established in columns...until told otherwise in the patt.

Hope this helps. If not post back + ask ???'s!!!  Do tell me what sz you're making if more ???'s though...saves time figuring out more than one scenario, for one thing!!!

Take Care ..... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 4
dsikes wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 5:52 PM

I am making the smallest size (34) .  If I am understanding you then I will have no seed stitches left to knit there just the chart b because there was only 5 stitches left after all the decreases.  I just didn't know if that would look funny.  Maybe I'll put in a life line incase I don't like the look and then can tear it out easily and do the seed stitch instead.  Wish I could see the back better.  It looks like all seed stitch to me.  ugh.  Thanks for your input.  I really value it!!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 6:19 PM

Hi back...

I wish there were better pics too!!!   I was looking @ the one in the magzine + I can find chart B...but it's too hard to really pinpoint it for someone else.  I think that both you + I are correct though fr what I can see. The lifeline isnt a bad idea though. You may decide you prefer something different fr what they are actually calling for...no law says your sweater has to be exactly what their idea was!!!

The "lace" of chart B, I think actually does add to the sweater though, as well as allowing a bit of "give" thru the shoulders. It's a good segue fr the seed st...I hate doing seed st!!!

I just found a bonus pic of the back on this site by looking under the back issues. Here's the link...let me know if it doesn't work or you can't find it.

http://www.interweaveknits.com/Galleries/bonus/winter_2006/nantucket1.asp

There is a better view of that panel in the bonus pic. The patt says the sweater shown is sz 36, which also has "0" seed st sts on either side of chart B. That matches w/ what I see in the pics.

Good luck....let me know how you make out...... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Jan 24, 2010 6:47 PM

Adding just another quick post. I just closed my magazine here + realized that the cover pic is of that sweater. It also has a great view of the seed st panel segueing into chart B. It is of the sweater front...but I think they are the same fr what I've seen. You can compare w/ the bonus pic in my last post maybe?

Not sure if you are knitting fr the magazine or if you purchased a pdf of the patt...but just in case you have the magazine....

Take Care ....Andrea

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS