I crochet!

This post has 32 Replies | 4 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 2
SuzanneG wrote
on May 28, 2008 10:37 AM

Another hooker here!  I learnt in 5th grade and sneaked behind my math book during class. Surprise  I am very happy to find more and more cool crochet out there in webland and hope to see more and more right here at KD!

SuzanneG

Not Ranked
Posts 6
JanP wrote
on May 28, 2008 4:00 PM

I am a crocheter too and have been for many years -since my mother taught me at age 6.  I use the European method of crocheting, which my mother learned from a Blue Ribbon crocheter - back when dinosaurs roamed the earth!  I hold the hook like a pencil! 

I'm ready for more wearables other then shawls. I've made a few sweaters and am working on some designs of my own.  Enough afghans already - although I love them too!

I'm glad that crochet is catching on with the younger folks too.

I can knit also, but only the basics, but I can do cables.

Like some of you, I'm waiting for a crochet daily.

Jan

Not Ranked
Posts 2
CatherineV wrote
on May 28, 2008 6:59 PM

Reminds me of when I spent a lot of time in Florida caring for my elderly parents.   Granny squares were my solution to the hot weather.  At that time there weren't so many wondrous yarns, so it was all about collecting every possible color of Red Heart, and collecting patterns for every sort of square.  It sure was fun.  Since then I discovered the Mile-a Minute patterns, which also are easy to handle and don't make a heavy pile on your lap until you're most of the way finished joining the strips.  And they work up much faster than grannies. 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
Cheryl wrote
on May 28, 2008 9:14 PM

FiberFriend:

Maybe this solution is too uncomfortable too, but I've considered working an afghan while sitting at a table - like the kitchen table - so the table can support the blanket and I don't have to be so hot!

But, you can't sit in your favorite comfy chair that way, I guess... 

FIber Friend - I may try that or what Catherine mentioned....the mile-a-minute might be a change of pace. I've done the granny square thing when I was trying to 'perfect' my tension on the needle and while I liked it, I guess I got bored with it too. Of course that was several decades ago so it might just be better now.

Now I am studying for a very complex test for certification for my job and will be using what little free time I have to invest in studying to pass it this fall. Seems like a ways away but if you could see this book.....it's about as big as a phone book for any large city. Fun stuff.

No wonder I have to color my hair more often!!!Big SmileHuh?

So many yarns/patterns....so little time!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
PrincessG wrote
on May 28, 2008 11:54 PM

yes. i agree. it would be uncomfortably and its unfortunate that you can only crochet like a 'mad woman' in cooler weather. You could always get one of those tables that swing around so you wont have to have the afghan on you.. but i dont know where you can get them from. unless you buy a nice comfy chair and have it at your table. i did that once lol... i never really got to sit in it.. my bro claimed it then my gorgeous kitty. Stick out tongue

i hope you find a solution!

xoxo

PrincessG         

Dont take people for granted, beacuse one day you will realise you have lost a diamond while you were too buysing collecting stones....

Not Ranked
Posts 1
lucyfur wrote
on May 30, 2008 8:59 AM

I crochet too.  I love to make hats.  I live where it gets cold in the winter and give them away to charities to give away.   

Right now I'm trying to make the Mermaid Scarf that was posted as a free pattern on this web site. Did anybody else make it?  How did it come out for you?  I'm not sure I'm doing it right. 

I should confess to a problem with patterns.  I learned as a small girl from my grandmother, who learned from her mother, who could not read.  Greatgrandmother just kept all the stitches and patterns in her head.  I can hardly believe that now.  Then I didn't crochet for a while, Grandmother died, and a few years ago I took it up again.

Of course Greatgrandmother did not have to remember a half a dozen passwords and pin numbers and that probably left room in her brain for valuable crochet information.

LucyFur.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
FiberFriend wrote
on May 30, 2008 2:02 PM

LucyFur,

Ha ha!  I am so with you about the passwords taking up too much space in your head.

If you count them up, you will probably realize it's closer to 6 dozen than half a dozen.  I know it is for me.

Go Greatgrandmother for keeping all that good knowledge alive, though.  My visual thinking isn't that great, although I think the crochet and the knitting really help.  It makes my brain think in 3 dimensions a lot more than I'm used to, especially for socks or fitted sweaters.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ForumModerator
Kim Werker wrote
on Jun 2, 2008 1:53 PM

Hi everyone,

I'm excited to see so many crocheters on the forum already! And now I'll go back to working on the fall issue (already!).

Cheers,

Kim

Not Ranked
Posts 4
one K wrote
on Jun 3, 2008 11:51 AM

I crochet to! I will not say that I love it, but I like it *lol* Rigth now I crocheting a pillow, I think its turn out very well..

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
FiberFriend wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 2:10 PM

Kim, do you have any Fall Spoilers for us?

Not Ranked
Posts 5
ForumModerator
Kim Werker wrote
on Jun 5, 2008 9:58 AM

Fall spoilers, eh? I'm in a frenzy preparing for TNNA right now, but I'll see what I can cook up.

Start looking for the summer preview next week, though... :)

Not Ranked
Posts 4
bella wrote
on Jun 25, 2008 6:14 PM

...Wow, lots of crochet fans here!  I can't say that I've done a lot of crocheting but I have made the odd afghan or two over the years. 

I'm currently working on a granny square afghan, with bright colours surrounded by a black background, and up until last night I kept thinking about the ends (oh the horrorStick out tongue), so I dug out a darning needle and got myself busy weaving in the ends of 13 of those 23 blocks I made...I still have a pile of blocks to crochet but when I do have enough of them to make the afghan, I won't be stuck with the drudge work of weaving all those ends in at once, thank goodness.Smile

...happy crocheting everyone!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sharon lee wrote
on Jul 3, 2008 9:55 AM

can u email me the pattern ur using at scolandria@yahoo.com

Not Ranked
Posts 5
KristinM wrote
on Jul 28, 2008 9:41 PM

I crochet as well.  I learned when I was a pre-teen, then stopped for a while, then picked it back up when I was 18 or 19 for a couple months then put down the hooks again.  Almost three years ago now, I got the itch again and haven't stopped.  I also learned to knit in that time.  I must admit that I like knitting, but it can't top crochet for lace (personal preference, of course).  Right now I'm working on finishing a blanket I used in the hospital.  It's a panel one and I had made it four panels narrower, which worked well in the hospital, but now I'm finishing it up to make it closer to a normal size.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 18
DianeD wrote
on Jul 29, 2008 8:34 AM

Hi Kristen:     I crochet too !!!!    I've crocheted since I was a teen but in the last 4 years, I've taught myself how to knit with grateful thanks to Knitting Daily and all their tips, I have learned how to adapt my knitting and changed patterns to keep challenging myself.   I also combine crochet with knitting - for example knitted afghans with crocheted borders.    It has been a wonderful and challenging time for me and I find that the tips and tricks by Knitting Daily are easy to follow and quite clear and concise directions.    I love the galleries as well which show different sized women in the same sweater with all the details on how to adapt to a certain size.  I've started a binder with all these tips and directions and free patterns.   This is the greatest website.

Thank you again for being here.  DI

Page 2 of 3 (33 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS