TRANSLATION OF PATTERN INSTRUCTIONS - GERMAN INTO ENGLISH

This post has 16 Replies | 7 Followers rated by 1 users
Not Ranked
Posts 4
LurdesF wrote
on Feb 2, 2010 10:41 AM

Hi

I need help. A friend of mine made a trip to Germany and offered me some balls of a lovely yarn together with a pattern book.  The thing is this book is all in German, and don't speak the language, so I can't follow the instructions.

Is anyone out there who could help me with the translation of one of the patterns?

Thanks

LurdesF

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 2, 2010 6:47 PM

Hi LurdesF,

If you live close to a college or university, there is possibly some students who are German or who are fluent in German.  You could enlist their help to translate.

Languages were never my strength.  My neice who is 15, is fluent in three languages!  I envy her.  Good luck with your patterns.  It would be interesting to know if you are able to get them translated and what pattern/s they are!

Zoe

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 31
JoelleKnits wrote
on Feb 4, 2010 9:17 AM

My suggestion - pick patterns with charts and look up a few terms on Google translate Big Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Feb 11, 2010 9:54 AM

There are quite a few online translators that will change any language into English and back.

Try this one. If you have a scanner, copy it into Word. You can either upload the entire document or copy and drop phrases into the translator.

No need of trying to find a dictionary or teacher.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Feb 18, 2011 2:03 PM

I'm actually trying to have a German pattern translated into English right now.  I tried the link that you provided but it doesn't work well for knitting patterns!  Some of the terminology just doesn't translate well on a computer!  I'm hunting for a human translator Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Feb 18, 2011 2:24 PM

ChristineD, you might consider a local high school or college that still offers German. You might find at your LYS there may be some German knitters around. I live in MT and there is a still a strong German population here. Another option is to get a G to E dictionary and plod through. 

Denise

Not Ranked
Posts 1
skifan wrote
on Feb 23, 2011 6:10 AM

Hi,

I am German and love to knit.
There is a knitting dictionary http://www.strickmasche.de/strickwoerterbuch-englisch-deutsch/ on the net. I am knitting a lot of socks according engl. instructions.

If you need further help pls let me know.

Regards

Elli

Not Ranked
Posts 1
sharaj wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 6:02 AM

Hi Elli,  I love to lace knit .  I have Erich Engeln Patterns......I'm working on his Spitzenstricken 79  B charted leaflet.  I know some words, but understanding   when put together in a sentence, I'm lost.....  On Round 55 , It  reads,  Aus 7 x Umschlag 13 Maschen stricken.  

Help would be appreciated....  Thank You.   Sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 1, 2011 7:45 AM

Hi,

Is it possible to type the name of the pattern into your search engine and get it that way?  It would then be possible to translate it with the google translator into English.

Just a thought, happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Wusel wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 3:46 AM

That's "Knit 13 stitches out of 7 yarn overs"

Not Ranked
Posts 2
LuluY wrote
on Jun 25, 2011 12:45 AM

I'm using this site to translate Blaetterbaktus:

http://www.grannys-garret.com/knit/how_to/knitting_symbol_German_to_English.html

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 23, 2011 6:43 AM

Hi Elli,

I am American and know very little german.  But my favorite knitting book is Rebecca and now they are no longer providing english translations.  Would you know anyone who could translate them?

Thanks,

Nicole Kennedy

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 84
on Oct 23, 2011 8:36 PM

What I do is go to Google Translate and type or copy the text into the boxes and select what languages need translating.  In your case it would be German to English. Hit the Translate button and it does it for you.

Not Ranked
Posts 4
Gail Diane wrote
on Feb 27, 2012 4:11 AM

Hello Lurdes

I have just seen your email.  I am a keen knitter and have just completed an MA in Translation Studies with French and German into English.  Do yo still want your pattern book translated?

Let me know and we can discuss it further.

Kind Regards

Gail

Not Ranked
Posts 1
huntms1 wrote
on Jan 13, 2013 7:09 PM

I just found your post and it is now almost 3 years later, but if you still would like help, let me know--I was a professional translator for many years (various subjects). I wouldn't be able to do a *lot* free of charge, but the odd phrase, sure.

If anyone *is* interested in hiring me to translate patterns, then maybe there's my new career niche! I was also an editor (print and online) for a U.S. knitting book/mag publisher for awhile after being a translator. To combine the two would be wunderbar! I get very frustrated when patterns are translated badly (or worse--incorrectly).  Mary (Minnesinger1 at yahoo dot com)

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS