Felting

This post has 7 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 10
LisaA wrote
on May 23, 2008 2:50 PM

The finished felting project looks amazing!  I started with a purse, entered it in the County Fair, won Best in Division, and am a big proponent of felting.  I haven't done any with crochet yet.  I am always looking for interesting patterns.  Next I may do some coasters.  Also, great way to use up extra wool yarn.  What have you made, and what responses have you gotten from it?  Lisa 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Pbpigs wrote
on May 24, 2008 6:31 PM

That's very cool your first felted project won at the fair! I too love felting. I make bags, toys, bowls. Right now I'm enjoying slip stitch patterns and how they look after felting. I've gotten great responses. My major weakness as a knitter/crocheter is assembly, weaving in those dreaded ends, and felting takes care of that for me! Stephanie

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on Jun 4, 2008 10:21 AM

Hello there,

I've never felted a knitted wool item before. What kind of yarn works best for this? Do you need any special equipment? I live in the UK.

Mandy:)

Not Ranked
Posts 14
Rebecca S wrote
on Jun 18, 2008 4:34 PM

Hi Mandy!

Typically any yarn that is 100% wool will felt/ just be sure its not Superwash! I have also felted wool blended with mohair and alpaca - though the finished product  felted a little less densly. than 100% wool.  No special equipment is needed - just a bit of dish soap, and sink and hot water! 

Its best to knit a sample swatch then vigourously wash it by hand in hot soapy water (not too much soap though, it will make the fibers slippery and will take longer to felt).  Its just amazing feeling the fabric change right in your hands - I love it so much I typically always felt by hand rather than in my washer - even for big projects like bags and vests.

Anyway - give it shot with any wool you happen to have and see what happens!

Blessings!

Rebecca

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on Jun 19, 2008 9:56 AM

Thanks Rebecca, I'll give it a go.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
marilyn1423 wrote
on Jun 20, 2008 3:52 PM

felted cat bedI just finished this felted cat bed today.  It's the first time I have felted something I've knit.  I am in love with the magic of wool!Big Smile  I used Paton' 100% merino wool.  For more info on the cat bed, click on the link to my blog below.  you'll find a recent post.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 39
MandyH wrote
on Jun 21, 2008 8:28 AM

Hi, I love the cat bed. I'm sure your hoped-for kitten will love it. I went to see your recent post - got muddled. (I'm also a member of Ravelry, sorry about that.)

I can see this being the first of a series of projects.

Have fun!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
jetmuis wrote
on May 31, 2010 9:59 AM
you can felt it too in the washing machine, i have problems with my health and i had to choise a solution so i use the washing machine, its sooo easy. fill your machine with laundry to the top , add in a pillow sheet the knitting piece of 100 woollen yarn that you have rolled up in one direction. and wash it on 60 degrees and then set the machine on and it will be felted, i do this mostly 2 times, When you hold it out of the machine you must mayby rolled your piece in an other direction so that it come felted in the two sides the same . hope you liked this too.
Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS