How do I find the yarn? What can I substitute?

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Tracie@4 wrote
on Feb 17, 2010 8:21 AM

I want to make the Heirloom Nine-Ptach Afghan found in the Interweave Knits, Winter 1999/2000 and Interweave Knits Holiday Gifts, 2009.  I have looked and looked for the yarn listed in the pattern and cannot find it.  I have found the Rowan company but not the yarn I need.  I even emailed the Rowan company asking them if the yarn was discontinued or how they suggest I find what I need, they still have not replied.  I love this afghan, I am just not sure how to proceed since i cant find what I need.  Any suggestions?  Please.

http://shop.knittingdaily.com/Knitting/Patterns/Heirloom-Nine-Patch-Afghan.html?a=kp100211

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
SheilaB@23 wrote
on Feb 26, 2010 4:14 PM

Hi

what I would do is write down the needle size and gauge.  Check the back of other yarns that have the same or similar.

Sheila

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Feb 26, 2010 4:55 PM

Hi,

What I would suggest is for you to take the pattern instructions down to your local yarn store and they can help match up the yarns that are required.  You know that the Rowan yarn suggested is #3 light wool and the needle size is 5 (3.75mm).  At the store there are sooooooooooo many colors to choose from!  Even my local Walmart store has a whole lot of yarns.

Best of luck and let us see some pictures of your production!

Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Tracie@4 wrote
on Mar 2, 2010 2:23 PM

SheilaB and Zoe, thank you both for your help.  I will take what you have mentioned and start my search!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 2, 2010 5:38 PM

Hi Tracie,

Glad to help out.  I know when a pattern calls for 'wool', I have to substitute it for another of the same weight/ply etc. because I am soooooooo allergic to wool.

Zoe

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS