how do I....

This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bobseldest wrote
on May 23, 2008 3:06 PM

being new to this type of stuff, how do I create an avatar? I know what one is, but haven't ever made one and don't have a clue of where to start. so...if someone could spell it out for me, in bold print as the saying goes, I'd be mighty grateful

connie in kannapolis, nc

Not Ranked
Posts 7
SharonS@2 wrote
on May 23, 2008 4:04 PM

I with "Bob" here.  How do we get Avatars and where are they?

sharon in Illinois

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Yngvild wrote
on May 23, 2008 4:06 PM

Do you draw? There's more than one way to create computer graphics files, but I did mine in inkscape. Learning these drawing tools is a whole different way to creatively waste time. ;)

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
TygherKnits wrote
on May 23, 2008 4:19 PM

The way I usually do it is find an image I like ... like the one I'm using here, of one of my favorite chracters from the show Firefly, and shring it to the right size. Usually, that's 100x100 pixels. You can do that in most photo editing software.

Hope that helps!

"I don't cause commotions. I am one."  Elphaba. Wicked. Act 1. Scene 11 - The Lion Cub

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 117
Kat wrote
on May 23, 2008 4:35 PM

If you are avatarily challenged, and are not able to make your own (or are lazy like me) there are avatar sites such as Avatarist

You can save it to your harddrive and right mouse clicking on "save image as" or similar text. Save it to your computer then upload!

There are plenty of silly ones out there. Case in point:

No matter where you go, there you are.

Not Ranked
Posts 25
Mirl56 wrote
on May 24, 2008 4:34 AM

just testing to see if my avatar is showing up yet -

Cool Marilyn

Not Ranked
Posts 5
Joan J wrote
on May 24, 2008 10:08 AM

The question remains - how is an avatar created on this site?

All the answers tell how to make a drawing or other picture.  THEN what is done with it?

HOW does the chosen avatar get onto the site?

JJ

“-You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet. You have to be in the right mood.
-What mood is that?
-Last-minute panic.”

Calvin and Hobbes

Not Ranked
Posts 7
YvonneC wrote
on May 24, 2008 4:58 PM

That's what I thought you meant originally when I started reading this thread. Being very computer-literate but fairly new to this type of thing here, I happened upon the how to by clicking on the Edit "link" next to your screen name on the top right of this page. That takes you to where you can upload an image file from your computer by browsing on your computer. You can also add your profile and enter a website or email address, etc.

Hope that helps. The hardest part is choosing which picture to use!Stick out tongue

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS