Relay for Life

This post has 6 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 14
CGJ wrote
on May 23, 2008 3:13 PM

Just a little off topic, but extremely important: Please participate in the  American Cancer Society, Relay for Life. You can walk for 1 or 2 miles or whatever is comfortable for you. I am in California, Silicon Valley and we will not only walk, but a group of us Knitters are knitting Caps for Cancer Patients. We will be there in shift of 2 hours each and some of us will be there the whole 24 hours. So for you, your family, friends, neighbors or even a stranger, please will you participate? Thank you so very much.Yes

CJ

Not Ranked
Posts 8
KimberlyA wrote
on May 27, 2008 7:25 AM

Christine,

Hello from NJ.  I am participating in the relay for life in my town of Nutley on May 30-31.  Do you have a pattern to follow for the hats.  I could walk and knit.  Who are you donating the hats to?  Thanks for the idea, and futher info would be helpful.

Thanks,

Kim

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 26
Lorene wrote
on May 27, 2008 8:27 AM

In my town, Relay for Life was the first weekend of May and there was practically no publicity until one or two days before the event.  Hard to participate in something you don't know is happening! 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
M.deniseD wrote
on May 28, 2008 4:53 AM

Good luck fellow knitter with the Relay I am in Maine and am also doing the Relay for Life. This is my first year and just and and am going to make a good show of it..With any luck.. I have a friend that works in the oncology dept of the local hospitol and they have a display of hats available we knit hats here as well. Buts it gets alot colder...Good luck..M.denise

Not Ranked
Posts 2
M.deniseD wrote
on May 28, 2008 5:02 AM

If you want a basic pattern you can knit while you walk I would cast on a round needle and just keep knitting.Depending on the type on yarn you use the number of stitches. I might try a cotton for summer.You could do a rib or not up to  you. I make those for charity knitting I can take those with me and dont have to look at what I am doing.  I think this would be a good Relay Knit in a light weight cotton... Let me know if you knit one up..I will try one out at the Relay my self ...M.denise 

Not Ranked
Posts 8
KimberlyA wrote
on May 29, 2008 7:19 PM

Thanks girls for all the tips.  I am looking forward to the evening of walking for such an important cause with great friends.  Good luck and happy walking to all.

Kim

Not Ranked
Posts 14
LaurieB wrote
on Jun 11, 2008 7:02 AM

I'm not much of a  walker, but one of my best friends has done Relay for Life in McKinney, TX for several years.  Her team makes/gets donations of items that they can raffle off to raise more money for the team.  Last year I knitted a skinny scarf in shades of purple for them to raffle. 

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS