Nora's Sweater ~ Interweave mag winter 2009

This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 11
DianneV wrote
on Feb 21, 2010 9:48 AM

Hi ~ I was just wondering if anyone has knit this sweater. I am about to start and cannot make up my mind as to which size to knit.  I like to wear my sweaters loose but am not sure how much ease to use.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Feb 21, 2010 6:32 PM

Hi Dianne...

I haven't made this sweater...yet...but it is on my short list for myself +/or my mother.  Under "Finished Size" in the directions...it does say that it is being modeled w/ "plenty of positive ease" so I'de take that to mean "better looser than too tight.  It does seem like it's meant to float gracefully around the body rather than cling. The way the body is pleated onto the yoke should smooth over bust + hips.

As with any pattern I was thinking about making...I'de compare the measurements of a similar style sweater that fits the way I like... w/ the measurements given in the pattern schematics. They even give the measurements of the top body edges after pleating.

Think about any particular fit issues you have + compare with the schematics. For me w/ this patt...I'de need to be sure my armholes are deep enough + the shoulders are wide enough across. And definately make sure you're working to gauge as w/ any pattern!!! If I choose another yarn...I'de make sure it was equally soft to work w/ the pleats....otherwise you might have a tent!!!

Wish I could start this sooner, but too many other things to do first...

Hope this might help a bit w/ the thought process?!?!

Take Care ..... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 11
DianneV wrote
on Feb 25, 2010 11:15 AM

thanks Andrea ~ I was having thoughts along the same line as you. I thought that it might fit tight in the armhole so I went 1 size up from where I originally was going to knit.  I also think it should swing loose. I changed to a Peruvian wool and so far I think it should hang soft, but will be able to tell when I knit a little further.

Please post your thoughts if you do get started on it.

happy knitting ~ dianne

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 986
AndreaW wrote
on Feb 28, 2010 11:47 PM

Hi Dianne....

I'm afraid that life is going to keep this @ a distance for quite awhile...but I do want to make it @ some point. I'll be interested to hear any feedback fr you that you have time to share. What color are you making? It looks like the kind of sweater that one could be happy wearing for a very long time...+ comfy as well. Very graceful.  I love ALL cables!  Hope it turns out to be a perfect fit for you!!!

Take Care .... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 11
DianneV wrote
on Mar 20, 2010 4:38 PM

hi Andrea  ~  I decided to knit the Nora sweater in a dark charcoal gray. Very non descript, but one of the only colour sweaters I have not knit for myself.  I have all of the lower sections done and have just started on the cable part.  I am sure it would have been better in a richer colour, but am pleased with the results so far. It really will be a sweater that you can toss on over any other colour and not have to worry. It is still hard to imagine the size as the bodice sections will still have to be pleated. I am using 100% Peruvian highland wool by 'Cascade' and it is right on in tension and will definitely drape just fine. I would have preferred to use Berroco alpaca, but would have had to wait to start. I will post again when I finish.

happy knitting ~ dianne

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS