Digital Subscription?

This post has 9 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
AbbySue wrote
on Feb 24, 2010 4:40 PM

I have been a subscriber to Interweave Knits & Crochet for a very long time and can say honestly I've never been disappointed!  I always find something I like in the magazines between the patterns, advertisers and the articles.  I've learned so much and wish I had been able to subscribe from the beginning.

My problem is I simply don't have room for any more magazines or books!  I live in a one bedroom condo and for the past 6 months have been paying for climate controlled storage to boot and on a fixed disability income, this really is not affordable.   I have been able to convert my other mag subscriptions to digital (WooHoo!!!!!) but couldn't find any information on being able to go this route with Interweave. :(

Will the magazines be available any time soon as digital publications?  I don't want to miss a single issue of knit or crochet but will have no choice but to cancel/not renew unless digital is an option.  A DVD which will hold many, many issues takes up a heck of a lot less space than the hard copies. 

If this topic has previously been discussed my apologies for duplicating the question.  I did search but couldn't find a topic on this.

~ Time is forever, yet never here for long. Only if you're clever, you'll treasure it before its gone. ~

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 27
shayb wrote
on Mar 8, 2010 8:51 AM

Hi AbbySue,

We are definitely aware that digital subscriptions are something that are in demand!  We currently have two of our other titles available as digitial subscriptions, and are discussing when we can make the other titles available in this format as well.

One thing you might be interested in is our new CDs.  We are currently in the process of making our back issues of Knits available on CDs.  You can view the ones we already have available here:  http://shop.knittingdaily.com/Knitting/Magazines/Interweave-Knits.html and more are being added all the time.

We appreciate your feedback!  The more interest that is voiced for digital products, the more we will provide.

Thanks,
Shay

Not Ranked
Posts 6
AbbySue wrote
on Mar 10, 2010 10:08 AM

Thank you for the reply. :)

I have seen the back issues available on CD's and plan to purchase some in the near future.  However, it doesn't solve my problem re: the ability to stay subscribed to current issues without adding to a book/magazine stash that I don't have room for. :(  If I wasn't raised the way I was (re: the value of books/magazines) I could simply throw them away and replace them with CD's but printed materials are of value and I swear, if I did that my mother would reach down from Heaven to bat me up-side the head! LOL

I thought of selling them, but I don't really see that as an option for reasons I won't go into right now.

I appreciate the fact that digital subscriptions are being considered and hope that it will be an option soon.  For now though, I don't see that I have any choice but to not renew my subscriptions to Interweave Knits & Crochet.  Will keep my fingers crossed that the latest issues will be available at my local library. :)

Thanks again for the reply! :)

~ Time is forever, yet never here for long. Only if you're clever, you'll treasure it before its gone. ~

Not Ranked
Posts 1
bluejaylane wrote
on Sep 21, 2010 1:19 PM

Hey, Yes,  I'm having the Same problem,  can't get into my Digital Interweave magazine subscription. I'm pretty sure it's not over or I would have heard from them to renew. However, if they have discontinued it, you'd think they would at LEAST -  Let Us KNOW !! Thanks.Bluejaylane.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
CathyJ@14 wrote
on Apr 6, 2011 5:25 PM

I absolutely support digital subscription. I love Interweave knit and crochet haven been subscribing to the IC and buying IK from local newsagents for a long time, but I am debating whether to continue because the problems are two folds: 1) I'm running out of room for storage and it's not green; 2) I live in Australia and the added shipping cost always bugs me - I could be spending that money on yarn!

The DVDs for back issues are fine but for current ones is still not a solution. I really can't understand why Interweave is so reluctant in bringing about digital subscription.  I see this thread was started over a year ago, but no progress has been made, not impressed. Your magazines are always talking about knitting green or crochet green, how about start from killing less trees?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 6, 2011 7:14 PM

CathyJ@14:
Your magazines are always talking about knitting green or crochet green, how about start from killing less trees?

Hi CathyJ,

I would suppose from the attitude you portray in your post that you possess absolutely no wooden articles in your home???  I live in NWOntario, Canada.  One of the main industries throughout Canada is pulp and paper.  Trees are a renewable resource from which paper is made.  For every tree that is cut down, two are planted.  The pulp and paper industry in Canada employs hundreds of thousands of people.  I would suppose that you think your electronic gadgets like CDs and DVDs are recyclable like paper is???  Remember that not all knitters have the electronic resources to use.  Do you knit your pattern off the computer screen??  or do you download the pattern and then print it onto paper??   How about the bit of paper that is used for the yarn label??   Printed paper, ie. the magazines really are green and the electronic gadgets are not.  Here in Canada we recycle.  What do you do in Australia?

Think about what you are actually saying before you judge.  There are reasons why IK do not make every thing digital.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 10
ForumModerator
JodiS wrote
on Jul 20, 2011 2:57 PM

Interweave has been working on providing digital subscriptions for quite some time and we are pleased to announce that they are now available through Zinio. Here is a link to the order page! https://www.zinio.com/checkout/publisher/?productId=500612709&offer=500383821&bd=1&pss=1

Not Ranked
Posts 1
frogknits wrote
on Aug 1, 2011 8:13 PM

I don't particularly like Zinio.  Is this the only method for a digital subscription?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Janis wrote
on Aug 6, 2011 11:56 AM

I'm a long-time IK subscriber and a long-time reader of Knitting Daily. I was SO happy to learn of the new digital subscription option, but it seems one basic bit of information has been left out:

Can current print subscribers access digital copies? If so, how?

Like frogknits, I'm not especially impressed by Zinio, which basically converts magazines into something resembling a PDF. (Compare Zinio publications to the robust digital forms of The New Yorker or Wired and similar epubs, for instance, and you'll see what I mean.)

There is a lot going on today with digital publishing. With other publications that I subscribe to, the content is so topical that I don't worry about long-term access to back issues (even though many publications make archival access available to subscribers), but archival access to Interweave Knits IS important to me. If something were to happen to Zinio, how can I be assured of continued access to IK back issues that purchased via Zinio subscription? In other words, what if Zinio goes bust? Will I have to repurchase IK back issues?

PS - for some reason, this forum platform does not allow iPad users to type directly into a reply box. I had to compose my message elsewhere, then copy and paste it into the reply box. Something your web developers should look into, please.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
suemac116 wrote
on Mar 21, 2012 9:10 PM

I too, am not fond of Zino.  I love the way Creative Knitting does their digital issues.  I have access to two years of back issues and can read the new ones on my Ipad.  Zino charges more than a print subscription too.  I travel a lot and need to get my magazines online  now.  Interweave wants me to renew, but am having second thoughts. 

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS