Feminist based pseudo-art

This post has 13 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
TammyT wrote
on Feb 26, 2010 9:36 AM

In reference to the article about "Yo Mama" in the Spring issue of IK:  Could you please spare us this hogwash in IK?  You have a perfectly good magazine called "Knitscene" for people who want "edgy" or whatever this is trying to be.  Huge anatomically correct vaginas are not my idea of interesting knitting and certainly not "art" by any but the most vulgar definition.  I realize there are people who are interested in that disgusting stuff, probably very young people who probably read "knitscene" or Vogue Knitting or one of the other trendy knitting magazine.  I buy your magazine for enduring and artful knitting content and tasteful articles and I find that kind of "pseudo-art" to be totally out of character with the classy, mature style of Interweave Knits.  This is not the first time I've been disgusted by so-called art being written about in IK, but this is certainly the most grievous.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Eunny Jang wrote
on Mar 8, 2010 9:47 AM

Hi Tammy -

Thanks for your feedback. I'm very  sorry you were offended by the article - sometimes, our interest in all things knitted can steer us away from the core of our magazine, which has always been innovative projects and great technique information. What our readers want (and don't want!) is always the most important part of the issue planning puzzle--we're always ready to listen.

Thanks again,

Eunny Jang

Editor

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 55
TammyT wrote
on Mar 8, 2010 11:16 AM

Thanks for your response.   My knitting magazines are one of the few places in media where I can (for the most part) comfortably go and  feel that my traditional values are not being constantly assaulted and ridiculed.  When I see things like that in the magazine, it takes away that ONE safe place.   I know that there are many people who think as I do and I also know that most of them are too intimidated to say anything.  We discussed this topic on Ravelry and were of course, rudely shouted down and insulted.  After a few experiences like that, people assume that you wouldn't care so they  just give up on trying to get their voices heard.  I figure if no one tells you, how will you know?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 141
FionaC wrote
on Mar 17, 2010 3:59 AM

Quite right. While many may not literally speak up, they do speak up with their actions; stopping visiting sites or buying physical magazine subscriptions.I cut off my supscription to IK with the article named by Tammy. The trend in media, even in knitting media, to attempt to be Exciting! New! Eye-Popping! is asinine. Are the editors 15 years old? I don't generally take Tammy's approach because stemming the tide of contemporary idiocy seems like pushing water up a wall, but she's quite right and I like her gumption. Knitting can be so beautifully simple and complex; there are more than enough topics and approaches that have skills as their focus - why lard it up with such silliness?  It's like a middle-aged person slapping up a teenager with the greeting "Yo! Whassup? You lookin' phat, B!"  No, you ain't phat my dear - you is jes' dumb. And contributing to the delinquincy of knitting culture, a sin due for confession.

FionaC

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 1:20 AM

Hi all...

I've been debating on whether to add a response here ever since I read the initial post. I wasn't sure whether to speak up in defense of the article (my opinion) or say nothing due to being raised with "if you haven't got anything good to say...don't say anything" ringing in my ears.  Since others have added the "against" the article side...I feel the need to present the "for" side.

I'm speaking out "FOR" knitting + the right for it to be creative/ thought provoking/ challenging/ upsetting/ soothing/ entertaining/ etc. This article was only one little page...if you don't like it...turn the page. Certainly I don't expect to love everything in every magazine (I get quite a few) ...no one should. As long as no one is being physically harmed or threatened...why should this be an issue? Let's show some tolerance for other's ideas. I'm sure that people of 50 yrs ago would find many of our "acceptable by todays standards" knitted items...upsetting + not OK!!!

To clarify: I'm 52 + have never felt the need to make or own a knitted vagina. Probably wouldn't travel too far to see one either. However I can look at the pics + appreciate the talent that went into designing/ creating this gallery display. I try to remain open to new things. Even if I don't care for something...perhaps I may learn a new concept or technique to use elsewhere.

I described this article + thread to a 70 yr old friend of mine one day. She is definately not the knitted vagina type. Perhaps we could all learn something from her response. To the best of my memory:  she thought about it a bit, then said; " Wouldn't it be interesting if we could walk through it as if we were being re-born?"  Maybe we're too quick as a society to label things negatively...just because they are uncommon!!!

Please, let's not bring censors into knitting. Knitting means freedom to me...it makes me happy + I love to share that with others!!!

Take Care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 11:53 AM

AndreaW:
I'm speaking out "FOR" knitting + the right for it to be creative/ thought provoking/ challenging/ upsetting/ soothing/ entertaining/ etc.

Hi Andrea,

I do echo your words.  The art world uses a lot of different types of media/materials to create their ideas.  I am a painter too.  Just because I choose not to use one type of paint, doesn't mean the others are wrong.  It also goes without saying that just because I choose one style of picture to paint, that others who use different styles are wrong.

Perhaps the knitted vagina will inspire someone to learn knitting!  When I buy a knitting magazine, I know I will not knit everything in it but I do enjoy reading the techniques used to create the items.

Elizabeth Zimmermann said " If you hate to knit, why, bless you, don't."  If you don't like the picture, turn the page.  If you don't like the TV program, switch the channel.

Enjoying my knitting,

Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 2
Divina wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 12:54 PM

Thanks Andrea and Zoe. I'm a lot more offended by people trying to censor a magazine that is not intended to be for just their narrow area of interest, but of interest to all knitters, than I am by anything I have ever seen printed. If I don't like something, I turn the page and move on to something I do like.

I want to know what's going out there, and I don't want someone else telling me what information I may or may not have.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 12:56 PM

Hi Zoe...

Thanks for the support.  Also thanks for the EZ quote...I hadn't heard that one...but love it !!!

It's unfortunate that so many in this world seem to need everything to conform to their view of the world. I'm so glad that I'm able to look for ....and find.... some good in most things. If an issue threatens true harm...I'm happy to stand up + be counted/ do whatever needs to be done.  Otherwise I move on to something more interesting.

It would be a boring world if everything was "cookie cutter" !!!

Back to my sock .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 1:04 PM

Hi Divina...

Thanks for adding in your support too. Good to see that freedom of choice still has a strong voice out there!!!!

Really back to the sock now!!!!...... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 2:17 PM

AndreaW:
Back to my sock .... Andrea

Hi Andrea,

What socks are on your needles?

EZ quote is found on the second page of her first chapter in "Knitting without Tears."    My next socks are going to be the EZ socks in this book using the conventional heel turn.  My Mom uses this one all the time so it is about time that I look into her instructions.

I love the open mind because it can always learn new things and ideas are always welcome.  Zoe

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 141
FionaC wrote
on Mar 18, 2010 8:25 PM

This thread is very funny! Oh the political correctness! Posters responding to Tammy are entirely missing her point in their effort to attack her “close-mindedness” and attempts at “censorship.”  Part of a magazine’s success is in having a vision of what it is; that’s how it keeps a loyal readership that shares that vision. Magazines that try to be all things to all people with interest in its topic will flounder – that is axiomatic in the publishing business. Robert Maplethorpe’s work doesn’t belong in the Rijik Museum; that’s not saying that he isn’t an artist; it’s saying that what he produces doesn’t keep reasonable company with the Dutch Masters.

This forum is for feedback – that’s what Tammy gave. It’s a good thing for a magazine to know its readers' views. Eunny Jang’s professional and measured reply recognizes both the importance of a magazine’s vision, and the value of knowing a reader’s view. In contrast, what a barrage of attack with small rubber bands from the subsequent posters! It got funnier the further I read! It might be suggested that posters offer their views of the article and not attack the original poster for failing to have exactly the same opinion as they do, especially as a number of posters clearly pride themselves on having open minds.

As an artist myself (sadly, apparently, completely unappreciative of knitted vaginas, and come to think of it, large knitted pink penises that can double as couch end pillows and headrests for the seductively waiting woman – that’s a penis with an erection of course), I ask thread posters to offer ideas of feedback to the magazine and not to attack fellow posters. It’s not civil.

Going back to my knitting with imagination ablaze and ready to knit a double large pink bag with lines of blue embroidery that I have a good mind to pitch to IK as the Ball Buster Bag for those who want to knit a Pair, (maybe I have a shot at a sale),

FionaC

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 19, 2010 8:36 PM
    I have no intention of being involved in an endless, pointless session of this....so decided to take some time to think and read all the posts again before a final response. Also emailed the link to an uninvolved friend whom I knew could be counted on for totally honest feedback. That done...I'm back.

Politically correct? Me???  Actually I'm just being myself. I honestly believe that it's wrong for ANYONE to expect the rest of the world to conform to only what they want + believe.  I honestly believe that EVERYONE needs to be nicer and more tolerant of others. We only have one world to share...how can everybody have only what they want?  As citizens of this world we need to learn to be considerate and sharing. I think history has repeatedly shown what happens when one person decides everything is going to be done their way. It ain't pretty folks!!!

If it's acceptable for Tammy to express that she doesn't want to see certain things in this magazine...why isn't it acceptable for me to express that I think the choice should be made by each reader....not dictated by by another?   Because that's what I did. I said that although that article was NOT about something I personally wanted to make/ own....I think that others should be able to decide for themselves. As with anything in this magazine (or life) we can choose to read it...or move on...our choice!!!   I'm NOT saying that Tammy or anyone should like what I like. I AM saying that we should all have the right to choose for ourselves.  And when did advocating tolerance become a bad thing???

I also went back + re-read Eunny's response. I don't know how do do the "quote thing" here so forgive me if the words aren't exact. Please note however, she does use "innovative" in her description of the magazine.

Lastly I would like to say that I'm quite comfortable with what I've written. I've tried very hard to be polite at all times...actually deleted (before posting) a couple things in the original post because I WAS trying to be polite. I believe that anyone reading this thread can quite clearly see for themselves who is doing the attacking and insulting.

Take Care .... Andrea

Oh, by the way Zoe......perhaps we can can continue with the sock talk in another location. "Knitting Chat" looks to be a better spot for this perhaps?  I'll head there next and answer your ? about what pr I'm making now. "SOCKS" should make a good title!!!
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 24, 2010 6:36 AM

It is about time someone celebrated a womans door to life.....men have always celebrated their......we all know..........without remorse.......When I first received the magazine I did breeze through it and skipped over the it not knowing what it was just not liking the the size and stlye and didn't bother to read about it.......moving right along, right?  Besides I have a 4 year old 3 year old and a 15 month old and really want to check out what I may be making next or technique I may use in a project.  It looked to big for anything I may want to make.  But my friend informed me of what was going on after all this "chit chat" and now my interest is sparked.  Now I feel a desire to follow this artist (Sheila Pepe) and praise.  Maybe every woman should read it..........she is on our side as females...........BRAVO Sheila BRAAAAVO.........

A comment for Sheila if she reads this post.............WOW having people undo your work in Austin and take the yarn home to make things of their own sounds like tons of fun.

ADRIANA

Not Ranked
Posts 1
BIGyarn wrote
on Apr 10, 2010 5:49 PM

DEAR WOMEN OF THIS FEEDBACK THREAD.

You make me proud to serve as a catalyst for discussion -  I think the woman writer who mentioned "rebirth" was right-on.. but I know this work is not for everyone ..

Ironically the main of my work is quite different - and I take heart that both Sabrina and Interwearve had the courage to print such a joyous article about my work in Vegas. Take a look at something else I make -- and you might be SHOCKED!

http://www.smith.edu/artmuseum/exhibitions/pepe/index.htm

In any case -- PLEASE DON'T CANCEL YOUR SUBCRIPTIONS TO INTERWEAVE because of me! WE need OUR old fashioned paper magazines to thrive and survive -- even if they ruffle our feathers a little now and then..

happy knitting ( an crocheting ) all!

all my best,

Sheila Pepe

Page 1 of 1 (14 items) | RSS