THE OFFICIAL MINIMALIST CARDIGAN POST

This post has 776 Replies | 30 Followers rated by 19 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,448
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Mar 11, 2010 2:08 PM

More than 4500 people voted for this KAL and the clear winner is the Minimalist Cardigan, with over 2500 votes!

The pattern is available in the Fall 2007 issue of Interweave Knits or as a download by clicking on the link above.

Here's the schedule for this one:

March 12 to March 31: Swatch and knit the back
April 1 to April 19: Knit both fronts
April 20 to May 4: Knit both sleeves
May 5 to May 12: Complete finishing and post photos to the forum!

This is a longer schedule than I've given in the past. This sweater is almost completely made in moss stitch with worsted weight yarn, so between the stitch pattern and the lighter yarn, this one will take more time. (And I know some of us are still working on Gretel, so ...)

Just one little pattern correction: Under the Right and Left Fronts, the rib should be worked for 1½” instead of 1¼” as printed. (This correction is for the magazine printing only; it has been corrected in the pattern download.)

I've started swatching and I'm having to go up a needle size. The yarn I chose is Cascase Venezia in cream, and it knits to 5 sts to the inch on US 7 needles, and I'm getting more like 5.5 to 6, so I'm going to try 8s.

Good luck!

Kathleen

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 6:58 AM

Kathleen,

I am so happy that this pattern was selected as the knit-a-long. This will be my first attempt at both the pattern and the knit-a-long. I am looking forward to both. Thank you.

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 10
clocke wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 7:04 AM

Time to toss the stash and see what's available, because I could certainly use another cardi.  :) 

-Maxine

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Mar 12, 2010 7:17 AM

The minimalist cardigan looks like a warm weather garment to me. It doesn't cover enough body for cold weather. I wear sweaters in air conditioned buildings but am not sure about using the suggested wool for summer wear.  Would cotton yarn be too "stiff" for the pattern and make the garment stick out from the body or otherwise negatively impact it? Any guesses? I have cotton stash yarn... Any other summer suggestions or comments on wool for the summer? thanks, Susan

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SueG@53 wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 7:27 AM

Great, I've wanted to make this and will head to my stash this afternoon. For thinking ahead, though, Kathleen, when my sister (a very experienced knitter) made this the sleeve bottoms did not blouse the way the photos looked, and they wound up clunky looking. Is there some yarn advice or some construction advice that would help? -- Sue

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
dkroos wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 8:09 AM

Hi Kathleen,  This is not the pattern I voted for, but I'm going to give it a try.  Going to find the pattern and yarn today. 

I was wondering though, the pattern I voted for was a sleeveless salmon type color with tan or beige designs on it, could you tell me the name of it so I can look it up too?  I should have written it down, but didn't.

Thanks

Denise

Not Ranked
Posts 2
BettyM wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 8:22 AM

Kathleen,

Sounds like you have a plan.

If you don't mind, I have a question.  I have never knitted a sweater and this looks pretty and not too complicated.  However, I am somewhat "endowed" and do not know how to measure what size I should knit.

Help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Betty

Not Ranked
Posts 2
debknits@2 wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 8:49 AM

Kathleen,

This will be my first KAL. I have had this pattern and gauge swatch on my bulletin board to do for months.  I am so glad it was selected.  I am knitting it in alpaca from a friends alpaca farm!  Can't wait to get started.  Thank you.  Debbie (Monterey, Ca)

Not Ranked
Posts 6
ann porotti wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 9:27 AM

I am ready to try the Minimalist Cardi AGAIN.  Attempted it when the pattern appeared in the 2007 Interweave, got half way finished and thought I had produced a garment knitted in chain mail.  the moss stitch did not drape, my yarn ( the lovely, but inappropriate Louisa Harding Kasmir Aran) was too thick.  Took it apart, stored the yarn.  then I BOUGHT the very same sweater (without the moss stitch but with the little pouf @ the cuff, the shawl collar, and a tad shorter than Interweave original)--made by The Limited, in a very mediocre alpaca blend.   Over time-- my favorite sweater for spring and fall (here in the south) wear.  The design is magic-- if you don't like the always open front, choose a pin to close it around lower rib level.

What did I learn from my aborted first try?   Gauge, gauge, gauge; and think drape not boxy.  This time I'll be knitting Blue Sky Alpaca  5-6 stitches to the inch, in a dark blue/charcoal.  I'll start swatching with both #5 and #6 needles because I am a loose knitter.

Question:  could this sweater be knitted in the round to the armholes?  I am hand sewing avoidant.

thank you, and I'm looking forward to my first Knit Along.  best ann porotti

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 9:57 AM

dkroos:
was wondering though, the pattern I voted for was a sleeveless salmon type color with tan or beige designs on it, could you tell me the name of it so I can look it up too?  I should have written it down, but didn't.

You voted for Bella Blouse by Norah Gaughan

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 10:02 AM

Oh Goody!  I'm struggling through the Betty's Tee in Interweave Knits Spring/Summer 2010, learning entrelac along the way. If anyone else is working this, please post on Ravelry, as I find it confusing and could use support, could offer help when I finally figure it out!  Working it in 3 colors.

As for Minimalist...With your really long schedule, I'll be able to join in later! Oh Boy! Looking forward to yarn choices of everyone, as I will want to do this in something for warmer climate, and I gather that drape will be important.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 10:17 AM

Hi Ann Porotti,

I too have an adversion to sewing up knitted pieces.  Here is my suggestion:  After making gauge, get the correct circular needle in sufficient length for you to comfortably knit this garment.  Starting with the R front (or L front) cast on the number of  stitches called for in the pattern.  Attatch a knitting marker.  Cast on the required number of stitches for the back panel.  Attach a knitting marker.  Cast on the number of stitches required for the other front panel.  The seed stitch has to be worked over a flat back and forth knitting style.  This is how I would do this:   When it comes time for the arm holes, just follow the pattern as for the front and the back.  You may have to switch to additional needles when doing the fronts and the backs from the arm holes up as there would be no way for you to be able to leave the hole needed for the arm holes.  You would break the yarn and reattach as necessary.  I hope this helps.  I voted for this knit-a-long project too but I am not in a possition to start the project yet.  I have oodles of stashed yarns!

Just another suggestion for anyone who is a continental style knitter:  when you do a seed stitch, the knitting and purling go by very fast and easy if you purl using the Norwegian purl stitch because the yarn is always in the correct position to start the next stitch without having a lot of hand movements!

Smiles,

Zoe

PS  I take my items to sew up down the street to my Mom to do!Smile

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 94
SusanD@96 wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 11:18 AM

COUNT ME IN!  WILL LOOK FOR YARN THIS WEEKEND.  AND THANK YOU KATHY FOR THE LONGER SCHEDULE, WITH GARDENING CHORES AND FARM WORK ON THE RISE,  WILL NEED THE EXTRA TIME LIMIT.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
sandy@112 wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 1:25 PM

OK, I've wanted to do this sweater for awhile .  I've never done a KAL before so I'm excited to start. I just need to find yarn and finish two other projects.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
kaylanoreo wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 6:03 PM

I have never done a KAL before although I did the Central Park Hoodie, but not with the GROUP. I just bought Debbie Bliss cashmerino aran in a medium teal. I have read some of the blogs and I will start a gauge tonight. Wish me luck!!

Page 1 of 52 (777 items) 1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS