THE OFFICIAL MINIMALIST CARDIGAN POST

This post has 776 Replies | 30 Followers rated by 19 users
Not Ranked
Posts 9
MarilynR@2 wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 7:38 PM

I don't recall what I voted for but I'm delighted with this choice as I've been planning to knit this sweater for over a year. I have some Berroco ultra Alpaca in green that I think will work well.

Thanks for the opportunity to knit this as part of the interweave community.

Marilyn

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Deano wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 9:27 PM

Hooray!  I've been wanting to knit this cardi for a while.  Living in Southern California, I think it will be wearable almost year-round.  I'm allergic to wool, so will make it in cotton.  I thought that a mercerized cotton (which I have in my stash) might be too stiff, so I'm considering Knit Pick's Shine Worsted, which I've never used but bought one skein to try out--so let the swatching begin!  Great thing to do while watching basketball this weekend!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 46
dkroos wrote
on Mar 12, 2010 10:05 PM

I have done the swatch, my stitches per inch are right on, but my rows are off, 28 rows= 5" instead of 4", which I guess would make it longer (?r ight) which is OK with me. And my swatch is perfectly square.  It said somewhere that I read that the moss stitch would "lean" to the right, but I don't see that happening.

Any suggestions on the gauge?  I guess i would rather have it longer than shorter.

Denise

Not Ranked
Posts 3
KathleenM@4 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 8:19 AM

Looking forward to knitting this cardigan.  I am using cascade 220 in red.  Will try for gauge this afternoon.

KM

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Martha@68 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 9:57 AM

I am unable to find the link to download the Minimalist Cardigan. Help.  Martha

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 10:15 AM

Hi Martha,

It is simple.  Just go to the first page of this KAL, it is highlighted in blue under the first entry by Kathleen of the Minimalist Cardigan.  I just finished clicking on it and purchasing this pattern.  I am excited as this is my first KAL and I hope I can keep up.  I am not planning to knit the 3/4 inch sleeves as I prefer my sleeves very short or sleeveless.  I can't tolerate any type of sleeve on my shirts due to skin problems.  I have quiet a stash of yarns.  I plan on doing mine in pale green and white in a medium worsted weight 100% acrylic by Bouquet Softee.

Good luck, Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 10:22 AM

Hi again,

You can click on the following link to take you directly there as well.

http://shop.knittingdaily.com/Knitting/Patterns/Minimalist-Cardigan.html

Got to go sort through my needles now and get the right ones.  I may go to one size larger as I perfer a more open knit.  I am always too hot and warm even in the winter.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 10:53 AM

BettyM:

Kathleen,

Sounds like you have a plan.

If you don't mind, I have a question.  I have never knitted a sweater and this looks pretty and not too complicated.  However, I am somewhat "endowed" and do not know how to measure what size I should knit.

Help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Betty

Hi BettyM,

Sounds like you are an "ample-sized-hug" like me.  Here is how to measure to find the pattern size to knit.  With your bra on and a sewing tape measure, measure around the fullest part of your bust..  Choose the corresponding pattern size.  For me, since the cardigan "hangs" open, it does'nt really matter if I knit the next size up or go up one size in needles.  I like my shirts and blouses very loose.

Good luck with this and all other 'KALians'.

Zoe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
L.R.Cote wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 12:49 PM

I made this cardi for Xmas 2008 using Paton's Classic Wool in Denim Tweed.  Pics to come!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
L.R.Cote wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 12:50 PM

I made this cardi for Xmas 2008 using Paton's Classic Wool in Denim Tweed.  Pics to come!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 1:19 PM

Yarn...I also want to avoid an all-wool yarn, and "bulk" is not my friend.  Looking forward to all suggestions.

I'm rather considering, Vermont Organic Fiber Company "O-Wool Balance". I've knit in a pullover and it feels soft cotton/merino blend with the right gauge.  but not in my stash at the moment.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 1:25 PM

How did I miss this announcement earlier?  I've been looking forward to this but haven't bought the yarn or pattern yet since I was waiting for the poll results.  Ugh!  Now I am reallllly behind.... going to look at yarn QUiCKLY! LOL ... hopefully I can join in soon. :)

~Lisa

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 1:50 PM

Oh, and what would be a good, drapey, but machine washable yarn to use?  I don't do dry clean or hand wash only.  I have seven children.  Need I say more?  Cool

Not Ranked
Posts 7
sandy@112 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 2:16 PM

Kathleen,

Do you have any 'summer' yarn suggestions?

Not Ranked
Posts 7
sandy@112 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 2:24 PM

Deano,

Let me know how this knits up.  I'd rather do this cardi for summer than in wool.

sandy112

Page 2 of 52 (777 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS