THE OFFICIAL MINIMALIST CARDIGAN POST

This post has 776 Replies | 30 Followers rated by 19 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 3:06 PM

Another yarn I am considering for a non-wool alternative.  Rowan Calmer.  Another yummy soft-as-a-blanket that should show the moss stitch well, I think it would have the same loftiness needed?  Thoughts?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bonnie@115 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 3:45 PM

Have had this pattern in my "want to knit pile " for some time. Thanks for the opportunity to Knit Along-my very first one!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 6:28 PM

ArtfulSoul:

Another yarn I am considering for a non-wool alternative.  Rowan Calmer.  Another yummy soft-as-a-blanket that should show the moss stitch well, I think it would have the same loftiness needed?  Thoughts?

Hi Artful Soul,

I am not sure what is in Rowan Calmer yarn.  I live in a small remote town in Northwestern Ontario.  I too can't use wool in my yarns or clothing.  I am using the Bouquet Softee yarn.  It is 100% acrylic, not stiff, and light enough to drape well.   It washes up nicely too.  Should be cool enough for spring/fall and even good for a summer evening by the lake.  I am always complaining of being too hot.  My hubby is just the opposite and wears his sweaters year round!

ZoeSmile

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 318
sjc wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 6:41 PM

I guess I'm in.   I've downloaded the pattern and am going to start swatching with Jo Sharp Alpaca Kid Luster which is Superfine alpaca, mohair (not fuzzy) and merino in a teal blue color.  It will have a nice drape to it but I'll be stitching forever in moss stitch!  It's not my favorite stitch in a lightweight yarn for an entire cardigan but I'll give it a go.  I'm not one of the 2500 people who voted for the pattern (I liked the Bella Blouse and have downloaded it too) but I enjoyed the group activity on the Slanted Gretel Tee so count me in.   I'll even put another project aside so I can stay on schedule with this one.  I know out the gate I'll have to drop at least one needle size, I always have to, so I'll start my swatch on #6 needles and once I get the gauge will knit in one piece on a circular needle until the armhole split.  I'll let you all know how it goes as it goes...

Sherry

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Mar 13, 2010 8:48 PM

Ok, I have never done this but will give it a shot.   I downloaded the pattern and will head to looking for yarn.  I have some light weight yarns available, but may see about using a cotton/blend. Let you know later.

Judy

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
LisaC wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 11:56 AM

I started my M cardi this weekend .  I am using Valley yarns "Goshen"  it is a cotton/silk blend.  So far lovely to work with and I like it very much

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 53
millswis wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 1:06 PM

Dear LRC,

I would love to see a pic of this cardi. I have a stash of Paton's Classic wool (merion). I am still unsure what type of yarn I am going to use. But, hope to make a decision soon, before I fall behind. This is my first KAL.

Sharon

Not Ranked
Posts 11
vickild wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 4:03 PM

I always have trouble with ribbing. This pattern starts with a 2x1 rib and it says k2 p1. Do you k2 p1 every rib row or alternate with P2 k1? Anyone who knows the answer can respond. Thanks for your help. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 318
sjc wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 4:18 PM

Okay, some changes since my last post.  I didn't like the way the Jo Sharp yarn was working up so I've done a total switch!  I'm now using Sublime in a cashmere/silk/merino DK weight in a juicy pink color.  I had to drop to a size 5 needle to get the guage.  The stitch definition is much better than with the Jo Sharp.  I love that yarn and I'm sure a project just perfect for it will jump out at me one of these days!

I've added a picture of how the stitches are looking after knitting up one skein of yarn (but remember I'm doing one piece to the armhole split).  I swear I'll have carpal tunnel before I'm done with the whole sweater!    I noticed there are 8 people following this KAL and I know 3 of us didn't vote for this project...WERE THE OTHER 2495 VOTERS TRYING TO TORTURE US BY VOTING THIS IN???  Just kidding, it will be lovely when it's finished.  I hope a few more people join the KAL though.

Sherry

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 318
sjc wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 4:23 PM

millswis:

Dear LRC,

I would love to see a pic of this cardi. I have a stash of Paton's Classic wool (merion). I am still unsure what type of yarn I am going to use. But, hope to make a decision soon, before I fall behind. This is my first KAL.

Sharon

I'd hesitate using Paton's Classic.  It's pretty is heavy for this pattern.  It may end up looking more boxy than drapey.  If you go to Kathleen's first posting on this site and click on the blue lettering that says Minimalist Cardigan you will see the picture.  Good luck!

Sherry

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 4:49 PM

vickild:

I always have trouble with ribbing. This pattern starts with a 2x1 rib and it says k2 p1. Do you k2 p1 every rib row or alternate with P2 k1? Anyone who knows the answer can respond. Thanks for your help. 

Hi vickild,

Yes, the ribbing is always done knit purl on one side and on the wrong side you purl knit.  So on the RS you would K2 P1, and on the WS you P2 K1.  If you don't, then you do not get a ribbing.  If you were knitting in the round (as for socks on 4 needles) you do not have to reverse the stitichs because you are always knitting on the RS.   Hope this helps.

This is my first KAL and I got gauge using a 3.75mm needle.  I can only imagine that the rest of the KALians who voted for this Min. Cardi will catch up and join the conversations!  Perhaps they are busy with other things at the moment.  I only hope that I can keep up with this as I have a complicated life.

Elizabeth Zimmermann said "One is in this knitting pastime for pleasure ... so don't worry."  Count me in on the pleasure thing when I start to worry!

Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 11
4hens wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 4:50 PM

Those directions mean K 2. P1 across the row. Enjoy!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 6:20 PM

Nag Nag Nag. Okay, so I usually jump right in on the KAL...but this time I'm still pondering the yarn.  I also have a project still on my needles to finish. No worry, you will have my company very soon Wink  And I'M WATCHING YOU in the meantime.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 6:38 PM

Great color- Cannot wait to see this project. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 160
Beehiveof8 wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 6:41 PM

Oh thank you for mentioning the yarn!  I went to their web site and fell in love with their colors.  I ordered some, in Ginger.  I can't wait to get started!  Meanwhile I am finishing up a little wool soaker for my 1 year old. 

Page 3 of 52 (777 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS