THE OFFICIAL MINIMALIST CARDIGAN POST

This post has 776 Replies | 30 Followers rated by 19 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
JudyG@11 wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 8:13 PM

As soon as I pick my yarn, I will be joining you in knitting across up to the armpits.

Judy

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 10:32 PM

Hi ArtfulSoul,

Glad you will be joinging us.  I have kept up with following along on the SGT.  Mind you I didn't knit it but read all the inputs.  I am now in a position to join the rest of the KALians for the Minimal Cardigan.  I found that with the yarn I have chosen, I got gauge using a 3.75mm needle.  The yarn I am using is very light weight.  I must be a loose knitter?  The pattern is coming out in a very nice open knit.  It is not "tight" looking as the one that is posted.  I hope mine turns out ok.

Zoe

PS   I have two and half inches knit already! surprized myself!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
PatsyH@8 wrote
on Mar 14, 2010 10:51 PM
Good luck everyone. I am going to tag along but not sure I can keep up. i love to knit but not much time. I work 55 hours a week at my day job and do transcribing for a doctor in the evenings. This doesn't leave me much time but I am going to try. I did vote for this pattern. Not sure what yarn I am going to use. not much choice here. I may have to settle for something not so special unless I wait for next weekend and go to Fresno for the yarn. Patsy
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Mummer wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 5:42 AM

This is my first knit along. I started the sweater last month but put it aside to complete several other projects first. My UFO pile is diminishing. I am using 2 sock yarns, one in variegated and one in solid color on size 7 needle. I am loving the look and the fact that it will be wash & dry -- can't beat that! In the picture the band and collar appear to be folded under but not sewn. Does this happen as a result of the stockinette sticth or the drape or both or something else?

Mummer

Not Ranked
Posts 8
ChristineM@3 wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 6:25 AM

This is my first knit-along. Seems like a great idea!

Love the sweater. Like some other people who have posted thus far, I'm wondering what yarns will drape as nicely as that shown in the pattern photo. I think I'll knit some swatches from my stash, hang them up, and see what seems promising.

This is my second-ever sweater, and I never wore the first one; ended up reusing the yarn for scarves, slippers and other more modest projects. I'm starting this with more confidence, just having read (and enjoyed) others' posts to this discussion group. Thank you all!

Not Ranked
Posts 12
4inleo wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 8:15 AM

Boy am I happy to hear this is the newest KAL.  I have only been knitting for a half a year and I tend to jump in and start projects and try to work my way through any problems I run into. This will be my first KAL and I'll be thankful for  some expert advice!  I started this sweater last week.  I'm using an acrylic knit yarn  (Vanna's choice seaspray).   I hope my substitution works out okay... we'll see.  Happy knitting!  sj

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 15, 2010 8:15 AM

Good morning everyone,

I am very excited to join the KAL, however I am having difficulty finding Lily Chin Signature Park Avenue, can anyone recommend a few other yarns that will provide the same guage?

Thank you,

Debbie

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 25
Trishnewton wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 8:58 AM

So for some reason my brain saw the afghan and the knit-a-long and put them together on Friday.  I'm so happy you are not knitting the afghan with the Cascade.   While I purchased the yarn for my afghan (I found something that was on sale since it's a winter yarn) I think I'll do the actual knit-a-long instead.  Too Funny!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
CSBSTAR wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 9:17 AM

I am going to try this KAL.   I have never attempted a clothing item.  I hope this works for me.  Are there any suggestions on yarn?  Any would help.  I just returned from spring break and between studying I am going to try this.  I hope I can count on someone for help.  Thank you

Cindy in Michigan

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 24
DebbieC@62 wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 9:32 AM

Hi Deano!  I'm anxious to hear if you were able to swatch this week-end and how the drape looks.  I want to make the cardi in cotton, but haven't ever used it so a little helpful advice would be great. Also, it's only my second sweater and the first was a big bulky wool handspun, so this will be a very different experience and I need all the help I can get -- thanks!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
staceyfish wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 9:47 AM

I'm already doing a circular shawl mystery KAL, but one can never have too many projects on the needles, right?  I'd like to use some of the Malabrigo Silky I have in my stash - I think I have just the right amount.  However, I'm wondering about what size to knit.  I know what my measurements are, but what sort of ease should I be looking for?  Positive?  Negative?  Zero?  It could go either way because of the interesting way that the fronts fall (and don't button).

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 29
nayla wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 10:20 AM

I just downloaded the pattern... Looking forward to joining the knit along.  This will be my first knit along so I hope I can keep up!  I have the perfect yarn for this pattern that has been waiting to be used. Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 11:00 AM

For all KALians who are doing the Minimal Cardigan and don't know what yarn to use here are some considerations for you.  Is this primarily a summer cardigan or a winter cardigan for you?  What yarn blend do you like to work with on your needles?  What yarn are you not allergic to if you have allergies?  Once you know these, then take the pattern directions to your local yarn store and get their input.  It may surprise you as to the help you can get.  Or take your pattern over to a friend or knitting group for their input.

I chose an acrylic yarn and am very pleased with it.  It is lightweight and will drape very nicely.  I also get way too hot and this is good yarn for coolness.

Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mdeadwyler wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 11:06 AM

Hi Kathleen! 

I have enjoyed your daily emails and look forward to receiving them like a message from an "old" friend. 

I have a question about gauge!  I work my swatch until I get the correct number of stitches/inch but when I knit the garment, the fabric is so stretchy that it is usually a size larger when I put it on.  The stitch is the right size but the yarn connecting the stitches is loooong.  What am I doing wrong?

Marti

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 11:24 AM

I had some leftover O-Wool Balance from another sweater, and swatched it. I got 17-18 inches on #7 needle, and really like the way it feels. At that gauge, the fabric would have a bit of open-ness for airy feeling, the yarn is soft enough. If I go on smaller needle, then it will have less of that.  So...decision made. I have ordered some O-Wool Balance in Turquoise color!  I will thus likely work a smaller size because of my gauge difference.  And I use a little less yarn, fewer stitches to make it go quicker!!!

For those of you new to selecting size when your gauge is different...here is what I am planning.  I have 43" bust. So I made some initial calculations.  The size 43-1/2 in MY gauge is (43.5 / 4 x 18)=196 st.  The size 39-1/2 in PATTERN gauge is (39.5 / 4 x 20)=198 st.  See how close that is?  Makes me think it would work.

But, sometimes I end up missing something essential...so always work the back first and measure how I'm doing!

Page 4 of 52 (777 items) « First ...  < Previous  2 3 4 5 6  Next >  ... Last » | RSS