THE OFFICIAL MINIMALIST CARDIGAN POST

This post has 776 Replies | 30 Followers rated by 19 users
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 283
sjc wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 11:27 AM

Hi staceyfish:

I have about 6 inches done and am working from front to front so I can tell there is a lot of positive ease because the moss stitch is stretchy. 

I think part of the reason the moss stitch is used in this pattern is because it has some stretch to it which leads to the nice drapey design.

The  yarn I'm using (Sublime merino /silk/cashmere DK) also seems to have a little stretch.  I'm knitting one size larger than I normally would because I want to be able to pin the front for a different look from time to time.  The Malabrigo Silky should look BEAUTIFUL!

Sherry

Not Ranked
Posts 6
ann porotti wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 11:38 AM

thanks for your reply.  it's very clear.  

I have done lots of pullovers in the round, but no cardigans....and of course, a cardigan is NOT IN  THE ROUND, it's flat knitting. 

best, ann

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Gale Kenison wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 12:09 PM

Hi there,

Beautiful cardigan can't wait to begin!  I didn't find a button to download the pattern, am I looking in the wrong area or do we need to purchase the pattern?

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Stasy wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 12:10 PM

I noticed that two people on Ravelry have done this in Rowan Calmer.  I've just looked at what everyone used because I'm trying to decide.  I'd like something light for summer.  I've been wanting to do this cardi for a long time so I'm excited to be part of this KAL.  Now to find a yarn and swatch...

Jan

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
sewrome wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 12:11 PM

Ok I am joining you on this KAL. It will be my first one, and due to my little experience I know I am going to be ok if I knit along. My yarn, which I am waiting on is

Artful Yarns Fragrance

Named for classic fragrances, Artful Yarns Fragrance is a classic blend of wool, viscose and alpaca. This worsted weight yarn has a lovely halo from the alpaca making it perfect for cozy projects.  Made in Italy.
Content:
50% Wool/30% Viscose/20% Alpaca
Care:
Hand Wash, Dry Flat
Weight/Yardage:
50g/130yd
Gauge:
4.25 sts = 1" on US 7
Knitting Weight: worsted .            I am going to have to go for a smaller needle to be able to get the gauge required by the pattern.  I am no expert, can someone please let me know if this yarn would work?  thank you in advance

SewRome

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 388
ArtfulSoul wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 12:49 PM

Stasy:
I noticed that two people on Ravelry have done this in Rowan Calmer.  I've just looked at what everyone used because I'm trying to decide.

I considered Calmer too, it is so yummy soft. I looked at my gauge on a previous cardigan with Calmer, and it was 23 st. So I thought, yikes, that would involve a bit more knitting, but would probably look and feel wonderful.  That gauge might not be true for others, but it pushed me into my choosing another yarn.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
SusanS wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 1:21 PM

Kathleen,

I echo my pleasure that the pattern I voted for was selected for the next knit-along, and look forward to participating in my first Interweave Knit-along.  Against my own resolution to myself, I'm going to put other projects on hold  to participate. Looking forward to  the project and seeing everyone's results.

Sue [Handmadebysue]       

Not Ranked
Posts 2
TLGerlanc wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 1:30 PM

Zoe, 

The only sweater I've done in the round, my LYS told me to decrease the cast on by 2 stitches for each piece as these stitches are used in the sewing together.  Should I do that or cast on the number required in the pattern for this cardigan?

Thanks much,

Terri

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 15
L.R.Cote wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 1:33 PM

Even tho' I made it in wool, it's relatively lightweight, maybe helped by the moss stitch.  It's not bulky at all, and I even take it along in the summer to put over my shoulders in a too-much-air conditioned restaurant.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
MarieJ@2 wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 2:20 PM

Well, I believe I will finally join my first KAL.  I'm a little nervous, but I think I need the timeline to complete the project.  I already have too many unfinished garments in my home Smile

I guess now, I just have to pick yarn and complete my swatch!

Marie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 2:25 PM

TerriG@4:

Zoe, 

The only sweater I've done in the round, my LYS told me to decrease the cast on by 2 stitches for each piece as these stitches are used in the sewing together.  Should I do that or cast on the number required in the pattern for this cardigan?

Thanks much,

Terri

Hi Terri,

I would cast on the number of stitches required in the pattern.  This sets the entire "stage" for the pattern in the knitting stitches.  When seams are sewn up it is from the edges of the pieces and the 1/4 inch "lost" in the seams is no big deal.  On the other hand, this cardigan is open and so the 1/4 inch that is the "extra" will not matter.

Hope this helps,

Zoe

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 2:42 PM

TerriG@4:

Terri,

If you are doing the sweater in the round (one piece to the underarms) your LYS is correct.  If you are doing it in pieces, Zoe is correct.

~Kelleigh

KELLEIGH~~

Not Ranked
Posts 3
RhondaP@4 wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 2:45 PM

Hi everyone! I'm excited as this is my first KAL, and I actually voted for this project! Just started today--using Knitpicks Comfy Worsted in Honeydew. Had to use size 6 needles, but this yarn swatched beautifully, and came at a great price. I'm hoping that joining at KAL will actually help me FINISH a project! Embarrassed

Happy knitting, everyone!

Rhonda

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,337
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Mar 15, 2010 3:04 PM

Some Yarn Choices

Hi All,

I did some trolling on the internet and here are some yarn choices I think would be appropriate for a spring/summer garment:

Rowan Calmer: 75% cotton, 25% microfiber

Berroco Comfort: 50% superfine nylon, 50% acrylic (worsted or DK weight)

KnitPicks Shine: 60% pima cotton, 40% modal

KnitPicks Comfy Worsted: 75% pima cotton, 25% acrylic

KnitPicks CotLin: 70% Cotton, 30% Linen, DK weight

Filatura de Crosa Rain: 70% Viscose, 30% Linen

Filatura de Crosa Lovely Jeans: 100% cotton

Cascade Venezia: 70% merino wool, 30% silk

Cascade Cotton Rich: 64% cotton, 36% polyamide (DK or worsted weight)

Classic Elite Bam Boo: 100% bamboo

Classic Elite Summer Set: 64% cotton, 10% alpaca, 5% lyocel, 12% polyester

I hope this helps all of you who are still looking. These yarns are pretty common in your LYSes, except for the KnitPicks choices, which are only available at knitpicks.com.

Kathleen

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,337
Editor
SystemAdministrator
on Mar 15, 2010 3:15 PM

sewrome:

Artful Yarns Fragrance

Named for classic fragrances, Artful Yarns Fragrance is a classic blend of wool, viscose and alpaca. This worsted weight yarn has a lovely halo from the alpaca making it perfect for cozy projects.  Made in Italy.
Content:
50% Wool/30% Viscose/20% Alpaca
Care:
Hand Wash, Dry Flat
Weight/Yardage:
50g/130yd
Gauge:
4.25 sts = 1" on US 7
Knitting Weight: worsted .            I am going to have to go for a smaller needle to be able to get the gauge required by the pattern.  I am no expert, can someone please let me know if this yarn would work?  thank you in advance

You'll have to swatch it to see if you can get gauge, but it sounds good to me, Sewrome. Alpaca is pretty warm, but maybe the blend makes the yarn a good warm-weather option. You'll have to see what you think when you make your swatch.

Kathleen

Page 5 of 52 (777 items) « First ...  < Previous  3 4 5 6 7  Next >  ... Last » | RSS