THE OFFICIAL MINIMALIST CARDIGAN POST

This post has 776 Replies | 30 Followers rated by 19 users
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
staceyfish wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 10:51 PM

Zoe,

I hate to be contradictory but that really goes on a case-by-base basis.  She (and the rest of us who are going to do it in the round) can certainly omit a cast-on stitch along each seam in this case because the stitch pattern is a two-stitch repeat.  You lose two stitches along a seam and voila, the pattern lines up as it is supposed to. Most of the time the designer has allowed for that selvage stitch to be a hidden stitch so you don't have to be concerned with losing it and disrupting the pattern.  This goes for the ribbing too.

And while it may not be a big deal to have an extra 1/4 inch, in this case you're talking about substantially more than 1/4 inch because you're losing four stitches which is more like (a smidge under) 1/4 inch on each piece at each seam.  Maybe not such a bit deal at this gauge (unless you're really picky about fit) but it's certainly something to keep in mind when using a heavier yarn.

That said: there is no Knitting Police (and if there is, hoo boy, am I in trouble).  If your method makes you happy you should obviously stick with it.  I just wanted to offer rationale for another viewpoint.

By the by, if anyone is very interested in further pursuing the topic of converting seamed garments to seamless, I recommend reading Jared Flood's two-part series in Vogue Knitting's Fall and Holiday 2009 issues.

Happy knitting everyone!

Stacey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 313
sjc wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 10:56 PM

Hi Zoe:

I almost always have to drop one needle size and it isn't surprising to go down two.  My friend Judy160 teases me about how loose I knit.  But I finish my sweaters hee, hee.  I wondered if anyone was using varigated yarn as well.  I think someone said they were using something that is hand dyed but I don't remember what.  I like the idea of the white front and "collar".  It would look nice.  I also thought reversing the moss stitch and the stocking stitch would be interesting but that would require refiguring the stitch count for the body--probably too much work for me to ever do.  Glad you're having fun, so am I!

Sherry

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
staceyfish wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 10:59 PM

Sherry,

Thanks!  I'm looking forward to doing this yarn.  I'm definitely going to have to WASH AND BLOCK my gauge swatch - I already have experience ruining a perfectly good moss stitch sweater (whose gauge swatch was unwashed and unblocked) by blocking it and watching it grow.

Because of the stretchiness of the stitch pattern and the tendency of silk to grow even above and beyond what a normal yarn would in moss stitch, I think I may knit a size down or modify the number of cast-on stitches.  If it turns out too small for me, well, the cardi would probably look lovely on my Mom  :)

Happy knitting!

Stacey

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 313
sjc wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 11:01 PM

Hey Judy160, I didn't know Mister was in the KAL!!!   He's so CUTE lying on your pillows.  Yum, yum, boxer slobber on the pillows!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 11:20 PM

Hi Stacey,

staceyfish:
That said: there is no Knitting Police

I didn't mean to upset anyone.  I was asked a question and I gave the answer according to my experiences.  (PS By the way since this cardigan is an open at the front cardigan, it can't be knitted in the round as you plan to do.  But it can be knitted on circular needles in one piece.)

I appreciate another's rationale for things.  But I do still think that when the pattern that is made by the stitches need to be a set number, then you follow the pattern. ie. basket weave, multiple cables, fair isle patterns, etc.  The ribbing needs multiples of 3 to be made as called for in the pattern.

I think that most knitters will agree that there are many different ways to knit and everyone brings their own experiences to the table.

Zoe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 17
staceyfish wrote
on Mar 15, 2010 11:43 PM

Zoe,

Ooops, didn't mean to say in the round.  It's been a long day.  Even without the Knitting Police hounding us, I don't think any of us could do a cardi in the round - the laws of physics are not on our side  :)  Unless, of course, you're one of those masochistic very very brave people who likes to take scissors to your knitting!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
Gale Kenison wrote
on Mar 16, 2010 6:50 AM

How beautiful!!!!  I have tried to find the pattern.  I do not have that issue - do you know where I can get the pattern so I can get started?

Gale

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 16, 2010 7:10 AM

Late to the party but I am in.  Will start the swatch when I get home tonight.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Mar 16, 2010 7:58 AM

Hey Sherry;

Thank whoever made washable pillow and a washing machine...slobber ???drool??? Wipes his face on them.  He sits with me while I knit..The cat is above my head and the fight is on.

Top 75 Contributor
Posts 57
judy@160 wrote
on Mar 16, 2010 8:11 AM

Patsy H:

Thanks , I have a large stash...SJC has a bigger one. We both seem to have collected a great deal of Jo Sharp yarn and she does have some great colors to work with. I really like her dk weights.  I swatched out 4 different yarns and washed & blocked them. I tryed wool/silk , hemp, wool and alpaca/wool , I just like the look of the wool.

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 34
on Mar 16, 2010 8:54 AM

Yea! Thanks for trolling and thanks to all who've posted their yarn choices. I plan on getting my yarn in the next few days and let the swatching begin!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 16, 2010 9:01 AM

staceyfish:
one of those masochistic very very brave people who likes to take scissors to your knitting!

Hi Stacey,

This did bring a chuckle to me because I remember one project of mine that the yarn would not let me frog--I was a very, very brave person and did take the scissors to the knitting project.  (The project never did turn out so I frogged the entire idea!)

Which way do you knit?  Just a curious thought, there is one post in the Knitting Daily yesterday, that a person talked about "uncrossed knitting".  I have never come across this term before.  What is it? Anyone?

Very damp and wet outside today.  I need to turn over the sod for a new garden and although the ground is moist enough to do this with ease, it feels like a great day to stay inside and add a few more rounds to the Mini Cardi.

Happy knitting,

Zoe

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 22
kate4 wrote
on Mar 16, 2010 9:31 AM

WOOHOO!!!  Another great KAL!  The last KAL I participated in were the hand warmers and I ended up knitting 7 pairs in different colors to go in Christmas stockings.  Everyone LOVED them!  This cardigan looks so versatile!  I'm heading for my stash now! :O)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 122
Kelleigh wrote
on Mar 16, 2010 9:39 AM

staceyfish:

Zoe,

I hate to be contradictory but that really goes on a case-by-base basis.  She (and the rest of us who are going to do it in the round) can certainly omit a cast-on stitch along each seam in this case because the stitch pattern is a two-stitch repeat.  You lose two stitches along a seam and voila, the pattern lines up as it is supposed to. Most of the time the designer has allowed for that selvage stitch to be a hidden stitch so you don't have to be concerned with losing it and disrupting the pattern.  This goes for the ribbing too.

Stacey,

Thank you.  I thought I was going in the right direction and decided to just forge ahead with my variation of this sweater real soon.  I have seen Jared Floods' article but could only find part one on the net.  I'll have to look for the magazine on Ebay.  Guess I have learned a bit in the short time I've been knitting.  Thanks again! 

Wink

KELLEIGH~~

Not Ranked
Posts 10
MonikaRenard wrote
on Mar 16, 2010 12:30 PM

Beehiveof8:

Oh thank you for mentioning the yarn!  I went to their web site and fell in love with their colors.  I ordered some, in Ginger. 

Which yarn??? Sounds interesting

Page 7 of 52 (777 items) « First ...  < Previous  5 6 7 8 9  Next >  ... Last » | RSS