SOCKS

This post has 1,123 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Not Ranked
Posts 7
SharleneM wrote
on Mar 28, 2010 7:13 PM

Hi Andrea,

Okay, I have almost finished my first sock.  It is going much better, stitches looking much more even and I didn't even have a problem with the heel.  Came to this web site a couple of times and looked at the sock video which helped immensely.  My biggest mistake is that I realize I have made it too large, so when I make the second sock, I am going to make the size just smaller than the directions I used.  Since these are only practice and I probably will only wear them around the house, it won't matter if they are two different sizes.  My preference would be to forget about the second sock and start making a pair with some of the beautiful soft yarns I have stashed away, but I'll resist the temptation,  since I do  need the experience of making the second sock. 

As I may have mentioned earlier, I made a lot of hats for one of the Indian reservations in Oklahoma last winter and thorougly enjoyed it.  I plan to make more and found a web site recently about making hats and slipper socks for our service men and women.  I'm going to try and get a group of ladies at our church interested and perhaps we can start a knitting group. 

Thanks for your help, Andrea.  Have a blessed week.  Smile

Sharlene

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 28, 2010 10:39 PM

Hi Sharlene,  Hi Andrea,

Been under the weather with the arthritis so haven't done much of anything except frog my Mini Cardi back to the ribbing.  You were right Andrea, I did keep making mistakes and didn't like the looks of it.

Sharlene, is it the Kelly Sock videos you watched?  I haven't made it back to watch them yet but I intend to do so.  When socks come out too large, just put in an insole inside them and use them as slipper-socks.  When you start the "square" for the sock, you need to experiment for yourself which needle end needs to be under or over the one next to it.  One of these positions will assist you to be more efficient in starting the next needle.  You will work all this out for yourself, just keep at it.  Socks are a very rewarding and quick project to do.

Smiles, Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 12
cathymoore wrote
on Mar 30, 2010 8:26 PM

All this discussion of socks and no one has mentioned.....from the toe up or from the top down? From the toe up is very, very tight at the beginning but then much easier plus you can try them on as you go to see where to start the heel.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe Wink [;)] wrote
on Mar 30, 2010 10:09 PM

cathymoore:
from the toe up or from the top down? From the toe up is very, very tight at the beginning but then much easier plus you can try them on as you go to see where to start the heel.

Hi Cathy,

I guess for myself I haven't really considered from the toe up because it works for me to go from top down.  I get to knit as long or as short a top that I want, make the heel, and knit as long as I need for the foot.  No problem to try them on from the top down.  I did knit a pair of insoles from the "toe up" and there was really nothing to it.  When you got to the "heel" all you did was cast off as per usual for a toe finish.  In the end, there was no difference in the toe or the heel of the insole.  Which way do you do socks? or do you do both ways and which way works better for you? 

Cureousity killed the cat but left the knitter satisfied with knowledge!  Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 31, 2010 12:54 AM

Hi All...

Sharlene...congrats on your sock success!!!  I was sure you'de do fine once you got going. The floppiness goes away once you have some "fabric" built up. I think I might be tempted to share your preference to quit now + make another pr instead....or make a 2nd "bigger" sock + gift them.  Zoe's idea of putting in the insoles was great too....must remember that. For me what works w/ "needle positions": is to always bring in the "new' (right) needle on top of the left one I'm going to start knitting the sts from. Seems to reduce ladders for me. I suspect it may be different for different people though depending on many variables. Style/ tightness of knitting/ etc.

Cathy....The Staccato sock patt I mentioned in my 2nd post are toe-up. Since I'de never tried that method...I did make a pr of "Boyfriend Socks"  that way awhile back....just to try it. Glad I tried...but really don't like it as well. I know it's great if you have limited yarn so you can knit up the leg till you run out. For me...I frequently re-knit heels + sometimes entire feet years later when they wear out. Especially if the top is a really nice (hard!!!) st patt. That is much easier if the orig sock is top down. Also...grafting is something I could do in my sleep...so it's a good method for my toes to end with. I don't care for the cast off @ the top either. I guess it's a good thing there are so many different methods so we can try them to find out what suits us.

Zoe....maybe the full moon has been affecting us all this week? I was feeling very sympathetic to you having to rip your Mini Cardi back to the rib. How is it coming along now? Last week I did read thru all the posts on that thread to see how you all were doing. Nice seeing all the different colors + "tweaks".  I seldom have to rip out much more than a few sts...but this week has been BAD!!!  I'm sure I've probably knit the equivalent of an extra sock on my Nutkins pr already.  Only have about 3-4 rnds left on the 2nd toe now...finally!!! Holding my breath nothing else shows up wrong on them....  Also healthwise....not a good week for me either. 

Your mention to Cathy of the insoles you knit reminded me of a unique patt/ article I ran into a while ago. It's @ Twist Collective which has some really nice patts. Online/ 4 (?) times a year. They're not actually insoles...but rather the soles of the socks made in a unique way that looks like insoles. Then you knit the legs up. Toe-up I know....but different in a neat way!!! I printed it off + do intend to try them. The article is by Cat Bordhi + includes the link to the free patt for Houdini Socks:

http://www.twistcollective.com/collection/index.php/component/content/article/36-columns/65-houdini-socks

Take Care ..... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Mar 31, 2010 9:48 AM

Dear ANdrea and other sock knitters:

I am an experienced knitter but have only made one sock. It came out nice. I went to make the second and now cant find the first one I made. Its lost in the quilt/yarn studio LOL.

ANYWAY I intend to make the leaf socks in the latest KnitScene mag.

Here's my question.  HOW /WHere do you measure circumference for socks?  around your arch ,  the ball of your foot?

WHat about ankle circumference? does that figure in somewhere?

The pattern lists a 7 1/4" circumference..... what am I measuring to compare.?

Janet in SF CA

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Mar 31, 2010 10:08 PM

Hi Janet....

I have to admit to breaking all the swatching/ etc rules when it comes to socks. I wouldn't dream of starting a sweater w/o a swatch + lots of measuring....but when it comes to socks......hiding my head here!!!  Guessing it's partly due to the # of prs I've made over the yrs. I have a fairly decent idea of the:  # of sts around/ needle sz/ yarn/ stitch pattern involved...that will give me the desired sock sz.  I admit...I get caught sometimes. Like the pr I just finished last nite: " Nutkins". Ended up ripping back about 2 1/2" of patt on sock #1, but was able to salvage the folded hem. Went up 1 needle sz after the cuff + all was well. I do try on a sock when I get about 3" down the leg to be sure. When this one was seeming a bit tight...I put it aside + started the 2nd one w/ the larger N to check. Then went back + ripped #1. In my defense...this WAS the 1st pr using the newer version of Kroy which has less yardage/ 50g. Slightly heavier sock...w/ a bit less stretch @ my reg N sz.  Actually going back now + making a 2nd pr w/ the chart mirrored. The first pr I found had a bit of bias in the patt.  It'll bug me knowing how I WANT IT!!!  Someone will love pr # 1  as an Xmas gift...+ I have a start on next yr's gift pile.

Moving along w/ your ???.  My understanding is that you would measure around the ball of your foot as it's usually the widest part. You wouldn't want to measure @ the arch...as you are doing decs/ incs there (depending on whether your patt is toe-up/ top-down). That would be too hard to judge exactly where to measure. When reading sock patts....the measurements given seem to be the actual sock dimension which would be @ least 1" less (?) around I'm guessing.  Probably more give than that too. A sock stretches when you put it on. If it measured the same as your foot.....it would tend to be very floppy as you wore it. More like bedsocks or "lounging around socks".   If you have fairly average size feet + ankles...then I'm guessing that most average sz patts will work for you as long as you match the gauge w/ yarn + needles. ie: For someone w/ above average ankles say...they would want to either go up 1-2 N szs for the leg...or add more sts to the patt for the leg section. If you like loose/ slouchy socks....don't choose a patt that has multiple cables as a st patt...that will tighten up the fabric as you know fr other knitting.

I haven't seen that Knitscene magazine. They almost never show up around here. I'm in small town Nova Scotia. I did just go look online here to look @ it. Those socks seem relatively loose rather than "cut off the circulation"  + the yarn does have 1% elastic...if you're planning to use what's called for. W/o the patt I can't really judge any more than that. They do look fairly "average" in fit in the pics.

There is a book I got fr our library(?) by Priscilla A. Gibson-Roberts called Simple Socks Plain & Fancy. In it she discusses sock sizing over several pages. Including some very interesting connections between some of the measurements. I think the copy I saw was fr maybe 2001. Perhaps you might have access to it ?  Sure there is info on line too somewhere.

Hope your first sock turns up soon. I'm frequently surprised by "something or other" surfacing from my stash (es)!!!   Also hope something in these rambles may help. If not feel free to ask again.

Take Care ...... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 6:13 PM

Janet Mednick:

HOW /WHere do you measure circumference for socks?  around your arch ,  the ball of your foot?

Hi Janet,

I usually cast on enough stitches to comfortably go around the ankle or just above my ankle.  I don't care to wear socks up my leg/calf as they bother me.  After I knit the heel, I usually try them on again and if they need to have more stitches at the instep, I add enough stitches to that area.  Different yarns have different stretches and it depends too on the gauge you use for them.  My feet and ankles swell at times and I have to compensate.

If I am making a sock for someone else, I just ask them what shoe size they wear and kind of go by that.  My brother in-law has trouble with his feet swelling really badly.  I knit him some ankle socks and knit them really loose but made them a size 9 for length as that was his shoe size.  He loved them and bragged to the rest of his brothers that he now had green socks! lol

If you make the gauge according to the directions, measure around your leg where you want the sock to come up to and cast on that many stitches.  ie.  If you make your gauge according to the swatch and the swatch gives 5 stitches per inch;  if your leg is 10 inches around where you want the cuff to be, then you know you need to cast on at least 50 stitches.  If the pattern calls for 40 stitches, or 48 stitches, or 52 stitches according to whatever size you are making, I would choose the 52 stitches.  It is better for the sock to be a little looser than too tight.

I hope this helps.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe Moon [mo] wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 6:31 PM

AndreaW:
The article is by Cat Bordhi + includes the link to the free patt for Houdini Socks:

Hi Andrea,

You give me a chuckle because after I read your post, I ran to the window to check on the moon! hehe  I adapted the insoles using the Houdini Sock pattern, just when I got to the heel part, I just continued in the round to where I needed to start the decrease as for the toe (if that was going to be for the toe.)  Monkeysocks found the site for me.

I found that the Turkish cast on was better because it didn't leave any holes.  I also found that to make the insole a little more stable and lay flat, down each side where the fold would go, I made a purl stitch.  This helped the piece "fold" there.  They are nice and comfy in the boots for winter or in my slippers.  I used a worsted weight and size 4.0mm needles.

I think that with the spring time here and needing to do much outside work around here, I will put the Mini Cardi on hold until the fall.  I am keeping up with the posts and minding all the suggestions and hints.  They are discussing the sleeves right now and I think I am going to do an EZ sleeve.  It is just knit straight up without shaping for the armhole and the sleeve is adjusted accordingly, being knit straight across.  I think though that I will pick up stitches across the sides and top of the armhole and just knit a little cap sleeve.  I don't like sleeves past my elbows for myself.

Meanwhile, I picked up some worsted weight white Red Heart yarn (acrylic) and plan to get started on a pair of bed socks.  I have to wear socks at night because if I don't, my feet cramp in the middle of my dreams.  What a rude awakening! not to mention the end of a perfectly lovely dream! lol

Talk to you later, Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 1, 2010 6:49 PM

Janet Mednick:

HOW /WHere do you measure circumference for socks?  around your arch ,  the ball of your foot?

Hi Janet,

Me again.  I just found this site on the web and I know I am going to benefit from it.  It goes step by step as to how to measure and construct a basic sock.  http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEspring05/FEATsocks101.html

Have fun with this.  Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Apr 3, 2010 7:08 PM

thanks for the info! That is agood site.

I plunged ahead and started the leafy socks using a red "merino mink" yarn I bought in New Zealand in 2008.  Its wool and possum fur spun together. Its really plush and I have been wanting to knit it up for 2 yrs.  Nows the time.

So far so good..swatched the pattern..easy... and now Ive gotten a couple rounds of cuff done.

Itsd always sock #2 that gets me.

janet

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 1:09 AM

Hi Zoe....

Zoe:
Meanwhile, I picked up some worsted weight white Red Heart yarn (acrylic) and plan to get started on a pair of bed socks

Face it...you just want to make socks...not a sweater!!!

I've been grinning a lot lately as I look around the forums. We are following each other, which tells me we must share a lot of interests!!!

We had a nice sunny day here which got me out looking @ the crocus + snowdrops. And the first of about 5000 baby maples that pop up in my flower beds every year. The ones in the lawn are OK...the lawnmower gets them. The flower beds require hands + TIME.

I'm still messing around w/ variations on my 2nd pr of Nutkins. 2 socks just past the heel but 2 different # of sts. Will probably rip #1 back to the top hem + go w/ my version in #2. I'm determined to end up w/ a pr the way I want them. If it takes 2-3 prs....oh well...I'll have 1-2 gifts!!!  Luckily I have lots of the yarn. Funny how every now + then we run into a project that seems to require 3 times the effort to get what we want. Stubborn is my middle name + luckily I do NOT have SSS. I'm weird I guess...as soon as I finish one...I want to start the next one right away. Even if I only get an inch done before I quit for bed.

Speaking of...time to head up for the nite.

Take Care ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 1:18 AM

Hi Janet.....

Good luck w/ your socks. It sounds as though you've done all the prep work so they should be perfect!!!   Your yarn sounds scrumptious!!!! I've never touched any possum yarn but have read about it. Sounds like a pr of very special socks.

Don't worry about the 2nd sock. See what I wrote Zoe about that. I know I'm weird...but no SSS. To me when I finish 1 sock I feel excited...I'm 1/2 done....quick .... start the other 1/2. One sock isn't very exciting on it''s own.

Maybe you can share pics when they're done?

Take Care ..... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 12
essexgirl wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 11:35 AM

Hi Andrea, Zoe pointed me your way, as a knitting expert,  in a different post today! I've read through the whole post here on socks and can't wait to get going... I wondered if I could ask for some help from you on a pattern on this site??? It's the Ann Budd Better Than Booties pattern which has a picture of 5 different baby socks but only provides the pattern details for three of them. The rest were in a 2005 Interweave magazine apparently. I'm sort of assuming that the cable bit of the pattern is just a "square" ie repeating the cable stitch pattern over a straight number of stitches up the leg???  Do you know if "braided cable" and "hugs & kisses" are standard cable stitches (and how you do them) or is that just a name invented by the designer???

BTW I've enjoyed reading your posts - looks like you should write a book on the subject Star  you know so much

Thanks very much x

Not Ranked
Posts 7
on Apr 5, 2010 11:48 AM

Thanks Andrea:

I have knitted thru half the leaf pattern so far. It looks fine but  I must admit I am not enjoying it as much as I thought I would.  Its not the# 2 needles, or the fine yarn or the pattern itself.. thats all OK altho maybe it is a bit finicky for me.  I just made a Fair Isles yoke sweater and really felt good and comforted while working it.  Maybe Im just a color pattern kind of gal. I shall persevere anyway...I think.

Janet

Page 2 of 75 (1124 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS