SOCKS

This post has 1,123 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 1:06 PM

Hi essexgirl...

Thanks for all the kind words....my head is positively floating @ ceiling height!!!  Thanks to Zoe too!!!

I'll be glad to help if I can. I have the pattern printed off here in a binder so am looking @ it now.

essexgirl:
I'm sort of assuming that the cable bit of the pattern is just a "square" ie repeating the cable stitch pattern over a straight number of stitches up the leg???  

Guessing that you are referring to the "Cable Rib Socks" here?  if so you are basically working a tube fr the top edge heading down towards the ankle. The cables are sort of columns that you keep building on w/ every rnd. Does that make any sense?  This particular cable has a 4 rnd/ row rep. I guess I should ask here...are you a beginning knitter/ mid range/  what kinds of things have you done? Have you done any socks before? Helps me to know better HOW to help you.  Have you ever done any cabling before? if not...I'de suggest trying it on something flat + small first. I know...I'm a broken record about this...but a dishcloth/ spa cloth made fr ww cotton is the perfect test piece. The yarn is easy to see the sts + very forgiving of mistakes....+ someone can alsways use it...even if it's not perfect!!!  There are lots of free patts for them on the net...if needs be I can find one for you.

essexgirl:
Do you know if "braided cable" and "hugs & kisses" are standard cable stitches (and how you do them) or is that just a name invented by the designer???

There are many variations of braided cables out there. A cable is just a matter of taking some sts....holding them on a cable needle (CN) either front or back...then working the next few sts first...then the sts fr the CN. All you are doing is crossing some sts over other sts + actually working them in that position.  In a basic: say 2 sts over 2 sts cable....you would hold 2 sts on a CN to the front....knit the next 2 sts...then knit the 2 sts fr the CN...voila...you have cabled!!!  Next you would work a given # of rows/ rnds "even" as established (perhaps 6?) then cable again.

In a braided cable cable you just think of each set of sts (2-3?) as a "strand" that you are going to braid. There will be @ least 3 "strands" since it's a braid. By alternating the side ( + front or back) you cable 2 "strands" on you will create a braid like appearance.  Of course in the beginning all you have to do is follow the written "word" instructions or a chart. On a chart the symbols will tell you exactly what to do with each st. There will be a "key" to tell you. i MUCH prefer charts as I can "see" @ a glance what's happening w/o searching for my place.

In Barbara Walker's "A Treasury of Knitting Patterns" (the first one) there are several braid cables on p 249. on p 254/255 there is an Oxox cable which is the same as "hugs & kisses" as far as I can tell. Like anything in knitting...there are soooo many variations. We all get to tweak to our hearts content!!! If you don't have access to this book...try your library. I have all 4 of them + love them for reference. I'm sure you will also find these in most "Stitch dictionaries" out there.  If I get a chance I'll look on the internet later.

I also have to add...many people do cable w/o a CN. I used that method when I made my "Mr Green Jeans sweater" fr Knitty. http://www.knitty.com/ISSUEfall07/PATTgreenjeans.html  (free)

I found it worked very well on the body cables...I was a convert @ once. But when it came to the smaller diameter of the sleeves...I went back to my old habits...it was faster. By the way...love that sweater...my favorite...I live in it  as do 1000's of others out there in the world!!!  The "how to" for cabling w/o a CN is in the pattern...that was my intro to it.

Hope this is enough info to get you started. Feel free to ask ???'s anytime. If I'm feeling OK...I'll answer as quickly as I can. A word of warning though...I don't do AM's...I'm a nite owl !!!

Take Care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 1:32 PM

Hi Janet...

Sorry to hear you're not really having a good time doing these socks. Maybe "the universe" is trying to tell you something!?!?  Like maybe you weren't quite finished exploring colorwork?  I have done lots of FI/ etc knitting too...although not socks. There are patts for them though. I think I have a couple freebies fr the internet in my binder actually.

http://www.sweetpaprikadesigns.com/patterns.html   some free/ some not...but her "Cranberry Biscotti' ones are...+ they're so pretty.

http://www.atimetoknit.com/d_k_M_SOCK.html   links to 2 free patts...1 has a FI top

There was a really nice pr "Northern Lights" by Janel Laidman but the page seems to be taken down for that patt.  It is in one of her books however + she sells patts sep too:

http://www.rustlingleafpress.com/rustlingpatterns.htm   Some other of her patts for sale = 1 free sock patt

Just found the orig patt  was looking for...but it's in the book @ Knitpicks:

http://www.knitpicks.com/patterns/Nordic_Lights_Sock_Pattern__D31136220.html

Must go .... do something else for awhile!!!  Good luck deciding!!!

Take Care ..... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 12
essexgirl wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 2:20 PM

Thanks for your response Andrea. You have switched a light on for me!! A braid is what we would call a plait !! I am going to google that and xoxo cables - I will work out how many stitches are covered in the baby sock pattern and how many stitches is a set and work out my own plait and "xoxo" to match. 

To answer your question I consider myself able to tackle the most difficult of patterns, have some experience of tweaking to suit myself but haven't actually designed anything myself (yet!). I love all things handiwork although it's probably knitting I'm best at.

I have encountered a few things through this site such as cabling without a CN and magic loop - it does bring new ideas / methods to my notice which is one of the reasons I like it so much.

I love the variety of patterns you have in the US and have purchased wool (yarn) and patterns from various US locations that you just can't get here. I just have to make sure I convert them LOL especially the crochet ones where our stitches have different names to yours Big Smile eg our double crochet is your single, our treble is your double - confusing huh but worth it as the patterns have so much more of a professional look about them.

I forgot about the time difference (re you being a nite owl) - it's already 9.20pm here. I was on a day off work today and it's a bank holiday for Easter too.

Thanks again x

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 3:31 PM

AndreaW:
Face it...you just want to make socks...not a sweater!!!

Hi Andrea,

You are sooo right!  I think it is the fact that a sweater takes so much more of my time to make.  I started a fair isle sweater 20+ years ago.  It is knitted in the round.  I have one sleeve done and half of the second one.  The body is done to the point of where I need to attach the sleeves and then do the yoke and neckline.  I am so bored with it that I think I may just put the stitches onto a yarn so I can use those needles for something else.

Yes, we do play tag around the forums.  I think our knitting interests are similar.

My daylilies are up a few inches.  Spring is sprung here.  My neighbour came over yesterday and tilled me a little 15 x 10 foot garden.

Got to go.  Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 7
SharleneM wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 7:11 PM

Hi all,

Thanks so much for all of the sock advice.  My second one is almost finished and looks much neater than the first.  Andrea, you were right; after the first one, I am having no problem with the four needles.  They don't flop around at all.

Now I have such a dumb question that I am almost embarrassed to ask but here goes.  I know how important it is to make a swatch to check the guage, especially with something I intend to wear.  But with socks -- do I make a circular swatch or just a plain square swatch?  See, I told you it was a dumb question.

It was a beautiful day here in North Florida.  Low 80's; no humidity, the azaleas are out and the wisteria is beautiful.  I think it's particularly nice this year since we had such a cold winter for these parts.  Just sad that it does't last longer.

Blessings to all of you.

Sharlene

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 5, 2010 10:24 PM

SharleneM:
with socks -- do I make a circular swatch or just a plain square swatch?

Hi Sharlene,

No embarassing or dumb questions exist--we just ask ones we don't know the answer to.  As life goes on, we seem to ask more.  In the knitting world, we all learn from another knitters' experiences.  Believe me, they once asked those questions too.

Swatches are made to find out if your gauge is correct according to the pattern.  Most patterns give directions for at least three sizes. Once you make your gauge, you know which size to knit.  There is no need to make a circular swatch---for me it is way too much fuss n bother.  However, having said that, once I have 1- 2 inches of ribbing done, I try on the sock to see if the ribbing is big enough to accomodate the swelling in my feet.  If not, I don't feel so bad about frogging that little bit of knitting.  I make a note of it on my sock pattern as to the number of stitches cast on, needle size, and yarn type.

Hope this helps you.  Our weather here in Northwestern Ontario is up in the low to mid teens Celsius.  It is refreshing after very cold winter weather.  We don't plant our gardens outside until at least June.  My grandparents were farmers and they had the saying "you don't plant a vegetable garden outside until after the full moon in June.  You get frost at night on the full moon in June."  Next week my husband will start his tomatoe plants inside in peat pots.   I love azaleas!  the colors are so beautiful.

Knitters never run out of new ideas,  Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 7
SharleneM wrote
on Apr 6, 2010 9:47 PM

Thanks, Zoe.  I just bought tomato plants to put out today, along with some hanging baskets for the yard.  In North Florida, we would normally plant in March; however, it was much too cold this year.  For over 25 years, I lived in South Florida and had to learn to do things completely different.  There we planted in September and harvested our veggies during the winter.  March was way too late for setting out vegetables as the weather got too hot before they had a chance to produce.  I'm originally a Michigan native so I had to completely rethink my gardening methods when I moved south. 

Happy knitting, all.

Sharlene

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 18, 2010 1:44 PM

Hi there Sharlene,

My four tomatoe plants are up 1 inch or less.  They have been started in peat pots and are sitting on my kitchen table!  My husband and I have been banished into the living room for meals now! hehe

That is ok because that is where my latest knitting project is.  I have started a new pair of bed socks.  Boohoo as I still haven't been able to locate my favorite sock book.  I have been kind of composing a sock pattern and frogging it and restarting it.  I have just turned the first sock heel and am onto the instep.

Question for any "sockers"  when you are knitting the heel flap, on the purl side, do you k1 the first and last stitch of the row?  This makes a little knot which you pick up into once the heel has been turned.  I did this for the first time and I don't think I like it.  It is not as smooth as I make with the instructions in my missing sock book.

Love my socks!  Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 18, 2010 10:45 PM

Hi .....

I was very glad top see an auto-email fr KD today when I turned on my computer (Zoe's post).  Life + health have kind of been getting in the way of spending much time here....but made brief visits to keep in touch.  Zoe's post helped get me going again!!!

Zoe...I envy you your baby tomato plants. There is something so special about watching little green things poke their way into the world.  Especially when the rest of the world isn't green outside. Afraid I'm lazy + buy mine ready to plant...most of the time. My husband will soon till our plot + I will do the planting when the time is right. Like you ...here in NS we have the same saying about planting after the last full moon in June. If we are lucky this year though...we'll get this house on the market finally...+ someone else will eat our tomatoes/ zuccini/ beans...lots of green + yellow beans!!!

After you had mentioned EZ's quote to me...I'de been watching @ the library for her "Knitting Without Tears".  It showed up almost 2 wks ago. Then Sharlene posted asking about flat vs circular swatching for gauge. I'm like you...I only do flat swatching. I have come across knitters who have a "weird" way of purling...one of my neighbors puts her yarn around the needle the wrong way when purling....both the appearance + the gauge change between her circular + flat knitting.  EZ's opinion (p 48/ her book) is that for some there is a difference. She recommended doing a circular hat for a swatch!!!  You'de definately need to have extra time + yarn. Of course you might have a pile of hats to give away too?  I think the only time I'de do a circular swatch would be if it was a lace stitch patt that had patterning on every round + was written/ graphed in the round.

I really enjoyed re-reading this book...it's been a few yrs. Thanks for reminding me of it!!!  She had such a nice attitude towards knitting!!! Somewhere I have the pattern for a baby version of her Tomten Jacket that's in that book. I'de like to try it sometime as it looks to be a very "usable" sweater.  I have done the afterthought heel she mentions...though when I tried it I only had vague directions that said to use 1/2 the sts. EZ's 2/3 kind of makes sense...I had picked up extra sts to make the heel bigger. And rather than go back + cut (horror) the sock yarn to ravel an opening...I simply knit the sts I wanted (to have "open" for the heel)  w/ waste yarn as I passed by the right spot. Then when I came back to knit the heel....it was easy to pick out the waste yarn + have live sts to use.

About your ???'s re; heel flap. I do knit the first + last st of every row when I do a heel flap. When p/u the knots I find it's important to make sure to turn/ twist them all down or up as you knit them...the same on both sides of the flap...whatever closes up the holes up better. Also I find even p/u the same loop on each knot will make a difference.  Seems what works once doesn't always next time. Maybe differences in yarn?  On a recent pr of socks I actually tried something new as an experiment. I picked up the new sts between (thru) the 1st + 2nd sts along the edges of the flap. I was pleasantly surprised @ how neat it was!!!  I'de resisted this method because I hate bumps + ridges in socks....but there really wasn't any. I haven't worn these socks yet...but have tried them on. They look soooo neat!!!

Take care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 18, 2010 11:07 PM

Hi Sharlene....

I hope your socks turned out to your liking!!!  It's taken me so long to answer this...you're probably finished w/ another pr!!! I'm glad that the 4 needles worked out OK for you too. What are you working on now?

My 2nd pr of Nutkins socks (or my version of) kept not working out the way I wanted...so I put them in a bag for now. It's still on the couch beside me so won't be ignored for long. The final straw was when the skein of yarn on the 2nd sock...became all faded looking after the heel. The colors on this yarn do fade in + out w/ no apparent matching...so I kept thinking (hoping!!!)  it would work out. By the time I got to the toe...realized it wasn't going to. Somethings wrong w/ the yarn!!! Since I also didn't like the "toe tweak" I'de done on sock #1...they went in the bag. I had to make another size in a hat I'de designed + I'm almost done w/ a pr of gauntlet mitts someone requested. So I have been knitting. Then I guess it's back to the Nutkins....maybe!!!

Lucky you being able to have hanging baskets already!!!  We actually had some snow tonite...though it's not amounting to much on the ground. My crocus are past + I have one daffodil blooming + lots of them in bud. Some tulips starting to show their buds too. 

I second Zoe ...no such thing as a dumb question...in knitting or anything. Questions are GOOD...it's how we learn!!!  Probably nothing you could ask that we haven't  too as we learned. I can think of a few things I should have asked someone about....would have saved time for sure.....  See my post to Zoe about what EZ said about swatches if you are interested.

Take Care .... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 18, 2010 11:35 PM

Hi essexgirl...

A slow response to your post...sorry. I'm sure you've probably found a pattern via google by now for the Hugs and Kisses cable...but if not;

http://cache.lionbrand.com/cgi-bin/faq-search.cgi

I was looking thru one of my binders one day + came across exactly that st that I'de printed off fr the Lionbrand site. It has both the written + the charted directions. I thought of you + reminded myself to send you the link.  They have quite a few sts/ motifs/ flowers/ etc. You may have to sign up...but it's free.

Before you envy me too much for being in the middle of US yarn shops...I have to say that actually I'm in Canada...like Zoe...but I'm in Nova Scotia. A very small town that has NO YARN SHOP!!!  We have Walmart + Zellers' (also a dept store) + Atlantic Fabrics. Not any great amount of "good" yarns I'm afraid. Sometimes I do find very good buys on millends @ Walmart though. If you can recognize what is in the bag. My husband + I both have allergies so have to be careful. It's cheaper I'm sure for me to order fr the US than you....but still have to deal with customs/ duty. I do also buy local 100% ww wool in skeins (113 g/ 4 oz)  that have to be wound. I knit w/ it + also my husband uses it for his rug hooking.

We use metric needle/ hook sizing here too now...though Canada also had it's own older version szs that were different to the US ones. With the internet I guess we all have to be careful about terms / techniques since we are lucky enough to be able to access ideas fr all over the world.  I can remember a few yrs ago, having an English recipe (cooking) + not knowing what courgettes (sp?) were. Finally found someone to ask + discovered they were zuccini !!!  It makes life interesting + places like KD are great because we can talk to people all over the world.

I find that www.garnstudio.com is a great European site w/ LOTS of free patts...in many languages!!!  They also have translations/ equivalents/ etc to help smooth out the differences between the systems. I've made socks fr them before + have other patts printed off.

Did you ever make the baby socks/ booties?

Take Care ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 30, 2010 3:30 PM

Hi Zoe.....

Responding here to what you posted about on the knitting machine post. You had a lot more patience than I did that day. I'de googled it but got bogged down in some old document. Was actually quite glad I had to pack up for town!!!  You found a lot of info. I think I still have an old machine of some kind in the attic (not sock)...must go look sometime.

I've seen sock knitters in a museum before + on the internet. There are companies that "redo" them. I have promised myself I'll get one when I win the loto...not holding my breath!!!  It would be so fun!!!

Sorry to hear your red/blue socks are still missing. If you're anything like me...having the book + needles missing is even worse than the socks themselves!!!  I like your sense of humor too (re: Elvis) !!!  Another day/ another thread you said something describing yourself as "a generous hug"....hope I got that right?   Anyway...loved that + told several friends you'de said that. Your "tidbits" often make me smile...thanks!!!

Do you know what brand + model of knitting machine your mother has?  If so...please share. I'll keep my eyees open for anything that might be of interest sometime to you.

I'm down to the heel flap on the 2nd sock of my "Escher" pr. I washed the 1st sock already as I'm using yarn fr a bag of millends. I was 99% sure it was off-color Kroy...but didn't want to waste the work on 2 socks if it shrank/ felted in the washer/ dryer. A-OK...fits perfectly...must be Kroy. A little slow going as the patt calls for (every 6th rnd) twisting (cabling)every pr of sts...all around the round.  I really like the resulting texture though. Like honeycomb.  When I'm all done I'll try to post a pic...now I think I know how!!!  Then I guess my guilt is going to make me go back + fix pr #2 of the Nutkins...just not sure how/ what I want to do w/ them.

How did you make out introducing your friend Mary to circular needles?  Hope she "clicked"...they are soooo much better. @ the  least...I'm sure she was glad to have the visit from you + your Mum.

Take Care ..... Andrea

ps: anyone else out there want to share their socks...FO's/ trials/ tribulations/ pics/ ideas?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 30, 2010 5:28 PM

Hi Andrea,

Yes siree! I am a generous hug or ample-sized hug.  My girlfriend calls herself "very fluffy" which I think is cute too.  I was looking at sock stuff on the web and found this site.  I thought it would give other sockers a chuckle.  Do you have a sock goal of knitting one sock a day?  Some of the responses on the site are interesting.  http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/archives/2006/11/16/a_sock_a_day.html

I asked Mom about her knitting machine.  It turns out that I had bought her one (which I had forgotten about).  It is a Singer and uses worsted or sports wt yarns only and only does basic stitch.  She also has another Singer that she bought from a friend some years ago who was moving.  She paid around $800 for that one.  It does fancy stitches and uses sports wt and finer yarns.  There are plastic knitting pattern templates that you put into this machine.  Mom says she could never get it to work right.

With Mom being of Icelandic descent, she remembers the Icelandic socks that her Aunt would knit.  She would turn out several pair a week.  There were a lot of Icelandic knitters using sock knitting machines.  Mom would love to get one too.  She thinks that the Icelandic Club in Winnipeg, MB would know about where to get them.

Mary had gone out with her son the day Mom and I were going to go over to her place.  Very likely we will catch up with her on Sunday at church.  She wears a different knitted hat every Sunday.  She has such a love for knitting and so many projects are all in her head.  I am sure she could write books and books of knitting patterns.

Must go and kitchener stitch my toe,  Zoe

I had to frog back part of my sock.  I got so carried away with knitting it that I forgot to make the toe.  By the time I realized that this sock was way toooo long for my foot,  I had several inches of frog.  (Must have been a bull frog) LOL.  I have to smile about it.  Am starting the second sock tomorrow.  They are just short socks that I plan to wear for my bed socks.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 30, 2010 5:31 PM

Hi,

Check out this socker!  http://lamziedivywoolens.blogspot.com/2010/04/leg-warmers-on-sock-knitting-machine.html

Neat huh?  Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Apr 30, 2010 5:36 PM

http://www.dimitysdrygoods.com/penny%20sock.htm

The Penny Sock pattern for a straight knitting machine.  An interesting read.  Andrea have you made a sock on a straight knitting machine?

Zoe

Page 3 of 75 (1124 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next >  ... Last ยป | RSS