SOCKS

This post has 1,123 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on May 19, 2010 9:41 PM

Hi Mittennbean....

Like Zoe.....I'll say welcome to the world of socks + hope you get to love making them as well !!!

I have a link that you may find helpful....others have. It's to the website of "Knitters" magazine (shhhh!!!) which I also have a subscription to. Also subscribe to Interweave's Knits/ Crochet/ Piecework/ Spin.off...so I guess it more than balances out!!!

http://www.knittinguniverse.com/flash/downloads.php

This link will take you to a page where you will see (among other things) a pic of a little sock striped in turquoise/ yellow/ grey. Under "Downloads" click on "Patterns". Scroll down till you see the little sock again (4th patt?) + click on that " Six Steps to Sock Success & Playful Pairs Pattern
  " + you'll get the pdf for basic sock how-to w/ very clear diagrams...as well as the patt to make a pr of plain/ basic baby socks.  I have it printed off in one of my binders, so if you get stuck  I'll be able + glad to help you out. It's the perfect way to get "comfy" w/ making a sock w/o a huge investment in time or money. Depending on the yarn you use...it says it will fit between a newborn + a 2 yr old. Could always use tiny ones as Xmas ornaments too?

There are also other patts here too...free...socks + other items if anyone else is interested.

Please do ask if you have any ???'s or need help.....I'm sure someone will be glad to!!!

Take Care ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on May 19, 2010 10:32 PM

Hi Ute...

You may have a point about making us buy 2 sets to get 5 dpns!!!  I've always been too cheap to do that + just kept an eye open for odd N's kicking around yard sales/ etc.

I actually learned to crochet in an Austrian school when I was 9. One of my aunts took me to Europe for a 2 mth trip + one of the places we went was Austria. My aunt had a "foster daughter" in a kinderdorf  there. We stayed w/ them for a week + I went to school w/ the kids sometimes. So I also had an afternoon learning crochet. Nice memory!!!

The only bamboo yarn I've tried is Regia's wool/ bamboo sock yarn. I've made a pr of lace socks + a huge lace shawl fr it. Love them both. The yarn was white w/ tiny blue spots. When I washed it...the water turned a really dark blue @ first...then rinsed clear. Scared me as I could see 7 or 8 balls of sock yarn plus the time to knit the lace shawl...all gone to ruin!!!  Doesn't "bleed" @ all after the 1st wash though. If I'm remembering right...I think bamboo is supposed to be naturally anti-bacterial?   There is a dk wt(?) bamboo yarn available here fr Patons maybe....that I would love to try for a summer top...but it has polyester in the blend. Big no-no in my house...allergies!!!  Too bad as I find the bamboo fiber very silky feeling.

The "Refined Aran Jacket" is also on my "LIKE list" as well as the one below it "Sienna". So many choices...hard to decide. My favorite sweater I've ever made for myself still has to be "Mr Greenjeans" fr Knitty. I LOVE that sweater!!!  So easy to create the perfect fit for yourself.  Like you...I need knitting in my hands to watch TV. Also frequently when a passenger in a vehicle/ in a restaurant/ waiting for an appt/ etc. I pretty well take my knitting everywhere!!!

I have quilted in the past. numerous baby quilts...some for gifts...+ 2 big ones for our beds. Unfortunately that was before the polyester allergy hit so can't use those now. One was sold in the beginning + I have the other for sale now due to downsizing....can't put everything into storage!!! I will eventually make us another as now you can buy 100% cotton batts.

Take Care ..... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 988
AndreaW wrote
on May 19, 2010 10:48 PM

Hi JanelP....

Nice to see another sock knitter here. I wish I could "get happy" w/ magic loop...but it just doesn't appeal to me. I much prefer circs for everything else except socks. I even recently tried 2 - 16"/ 40cm needles to see how that would work for me. Yuck!!!  Partly because the N's were crummy...I returned them...but I didn't even like the technique. I soooo get the no-losing-a-N w/ circs but.....   as I've said before here...I really want to get/ try an 8"/ 20cm circ to see if that will work for me.

After over 40 yrs of using dpns I've finally worked out the bugs like "ladders" so maybe I'm stuck w/ dpns?!?! When I tried magic loop I found I was stretching out/ creating a ladder. Actually I have no troubles w/ dpns...I'm a fairly fast knitter....just the convenience would be nice.

Have you seen the patts that create 2 socks @ a time...one inside the other?   I just know I'de have 1 stitch wrong that would keep them fr separating when finished!!!   You said you like to learn new things (so do I)  so here's a future challenge for you (thanks...I'll pass!!!).

Take Care .... Andrea

Not Ranked
Posts 5
SteinunnG wrote
on May 20, 2010 5:21 AM

Greetings from Iceland. I´ve found this awsome icelandic site, where you can buy icelandic wool (the colors are fantastic!), knitting kits and pattern books. It´s really great:
http://www.nordicstore.net/patten_books_knitting_wool_knitting_kits_112_ct.htm

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 20, 2010 12:28 PM

AndreaW:
When I post something on KD...I always check the box that says "email me replies" near the "post" button. 

Hi Andrea,

I don't have this box anywhere on the post site. I will do a search for this type of thing.

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 21, 2010 9:06 AM

Hi SteinunnG,

I am part Icelandic as well and love to knit.  I have two aunts (my Mom's sisters) who are going to Iceland in June.  They will go to see the family's original home place in the north central part of Iceland.  My Mom's brother went a few years ago and found it to be quite different from the family homestead/farm here in Canada.  I hope you look back over the SOCKS thread as there is a lot of knitting things about socks and I have referred to my Icelandic heritage too about the knitting.

My Mom is knitting an Icelandic sweater right now and hopes to have it finished   for the fall.  There is so much gardening and yard work to do right now because it is spring time.

Have you been greatly affected by the volcanic activity in Iceland?  Hope all is well with you, Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 21, 2010 1:36 PM

Hi to new sock knitters,

The Lion Brand Yarn site also gives verbal and video step by step instructions.   http://www.youtube.com/lionbrandyarn#p/c/1ED51473B7B0D9B6

Someone may find these easy to understand.   Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 22, 2010 8:58 AM

http://www.knitpicks.com/tutorials/Kelleys_Sock_Class__L10040501.html

Hi Little Alien,

You wanted to know if the gap where you pull the circular needle through the sock is ok.  I can not fully answer that question because I have never knit socks on circular needles.  I use 4 or 5 dpns for my sock knitting and am very comfortable with that so I have never had a desire to change that.  I know many knitters do use circular needles.  The above site has the Kelly Socks tutorial and it is all done with circular needles.  Please check it out.

Do you use one or two circular needles?  Is this your first time doing socks on circular needles?  Have you used the dpns for knitting socks?  How long have you been knitting?  These are just some curiousity questions. 

I am very sure that some other knitters who use circular needles for doing socks will have the answer to your question.  Welcome to the world of knitting socks.  I think that perhaps I should follow along with the Kelly Sock tutorial and make a pair of socks with the circular needle.  What have I got to loose, right?

Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 22, 2010 9:05 AM

Hi PrincessG,

Sorry you are having trouble with knitting socks on dpns.  The link for the Lion Brand Yarn sock tutorial is very, very, very  easy to follow and understand.  You should have no trouble with learning this method.  Please watch and save the videos for yourself.

Zoe:

The Lion Brand Yarn site also gives verbal and video step by step instructions.   http://www.youtube.com/lionbrandyarn#p/c/1ED51473B7B0D9B6

I haven't made socks on two needles but I do know how to make them this way.  I don't think there should be any difficulties with making a longer sock.  AndreaW is very good at making socks and I know she has used two needles for socks too.  She should be able to give you some pointers and advise.

Thanks for talking SOCKS,  Zoe

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 22, 2010 10:26 AM

Zoe:

Not Ranked
Posts 12
little alien wrote
on May 22, 2010 12:28 PM

Zoe,

Thank you so much! I am using 1 pair of circular knitting needles and knitting 2 socks at once. This is the first time  I have used circular knitting needles, this is also the first time I have ever knitted socks. I have not yet attempted to use dpns for anything mainly because of the cost of supplies. I have known how to knit since I was ten but only recently have I taken it up again in the past year ago, I do not have much experience as I am only 15 now. I know just about all the basics, and I can do cables and ribbing and I've done a little lace work. Crochet is my other forte I love to crochet and have more experience with crochet than knitting.

Thanks again,

Little Alien

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on May 22, 2010 3:22 PM

little alien:
I am using 1 pair of circular knitting needles and knitting 2 socks at once.

Hi Little Alien,

Have you checked out the Kelly Socks web link?  For myself, I think it is easier to knit one sock at a time.  She knits one sock and uses one circular needle.   The web link I also put up for PrincessG gives the directions for dpn sock knitting.

How far along are you on the socks you are knitting?  Is it possible to put aside one of the socks and try to do only one at a time?  (Just a thought).

I admire you for picking up the needles and going back at the knitting.  I do the crochet thing as well.  I do know that the first socks a person makes are not necessarily the nicest looking in terms of stitching and tension.  Believe me when I tell you it does get better.

Please take the time to read back from the beginning all the SOCKS entries.  They are interesting and there are many frustrations that have been answered in them.  Socks can be a very rewarding thing to make.  I enjoy doing them very much.  Is there a pattern in your socks or are they just a basic stockingette stitch?  One thing I forgot to mention, do you have anyone in your town/city who does knitting? or is there a knitting club?

What color is your yarn? and what brand, weight, etc.    You know you just can't leave us in suspense!  We are all curious.  Zoe

Not Ranked
Posts 12
little alien wrote
on May 23, 2010 12:41 PM

Zoe,

I did look at the Kelly Socks link and I really enjoy using that lesson for making my socks. After I posted last time I decided to only do one sock at a time because it is my first attempt. I am also thinking about not using the nice blue and green Debora Norville sock yarn I bought for my first pair. I am thinking that I will start over, again! I am just doing the basic stockingette stitch for starters I may eventually do some more adventurous techniques.

I know a few people who knit but I don't know whether there is a knitting club near us. I am not sure where to go to find out.

Little Alien

Not Ranked
Posts 11
chris1275 wrote
on May 23, 2010 2:14 PM

I have been using knit pro circular needles 2.5mm to knit some self patterning wool socks. I am a rubbish male knitter and am getting on okay with these.

Not Ranked
Posts 12
little alien wrote
on May 23, 2010 2:41 PM

Cool!! I love self pattern socks but I only heard about them recently. I would love to see a picture of them. hmmm.... I would love to see people post pictures of their work in progress! Maybe I should start posting.

Well I am hoping to not have to start my socks over again, I have started over three different times, not because I made a mistake but because I keep changing my mind about what I want to do.

By the way what are pro circular needles? How are they different than normal circular needles?

Little Alien

Page 6 of 75 (1124 items) « First ...  < Previous  4 5 6 7 8  Next >  ... Last » | RSS