SOCKS

This post has 1,123 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 7:57 AM

Good Morning, Andrea, as it will be morning for you when you wake up!,

Nice to hear from you!  Keeping you in prayers.  Poor health is not a good thing.  But knitting/crochet is and I am glad you felt well enough to come back on KD even if its just for a little bit. 

I guess the maritime weather this winter has been quite something else this year!  We have had a whole lot more snow and it has been colder.  Spring is farther off too.

I havent been able to hold my needles for about a month now -- too many aches and no strength in any hand. Sad  But I can read my knitting books!

I took Toni's discription of her feet to mean that one foot was half the size of the other.  In which case, one sock would be made one size and the other foot another size.  Your thoughts make perfect sense if Toni's feet are only 1/2 shoe size different.  Perhaps we will hear from Toni on this.

How is Wayne doing?  and your Mom n Dad?  my Dad just had his 76th bd yesterday and we all went out to the loacal restaurant.  Chuckles, cause we have a total of two plus a truck stop and a Subway!!  In the summer we have a couple more fast food places.

Take care, happy knitting, Zoe Smile

PS  hugs Right Hug

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 8:08 AM

well hello andrea!

so happy to "see" you here! hoping you are feeling better. spring is just around the corner and hoping that will be an improvement for you. we have some early snowdrops blooming here, the forsythia is budding and i am patiently waiting for the daffodils. the birds are starting to sing in the early morning, but so far not much warmth - which is my new motto - sunshine and warmth at the same time!

so far this year i have finished my 3rd pair of socks - all from the sock website of free patterns.  one for son's gf as a late christmas present, one for son's bday and one for daughter's bday. daughters are the alice's illusion socks. i did them in purple and green and made them opposite so one has purple toe, heel and cuff - the other has green. a really fun pattern to do with the knits and purls creating an illusion of a cat with a long tail on a striped background. i highly recommend this pattern - fun and interesting!

i just finished a berroco pattern #307 - vives. it is supposed to be a lacy cardigan but i changed it into a vest by omitting the sleeves. really like it with the lace and cable combination - but do not like the color yarn i chose. its a mauvey ugly color. i'm going to experiment with the leftovers and see if i can dye it a darker color i may like better.

today i started another pair of the black and white converse high top sneaker booties. the first pair i made for neice's son and he wears them all the time. now they are getting too small and i heard through son's gf that another pair would be appreciated. its such a fun pattern. once i finish them, then it is decision time again - what to knit, what to knit......

enjoy your day and once again - it was so great to hear from you!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 8:12 AM

hi zoe,

so sorry to hear you have not been feeling well either! spring cannot come soon enough this year. so much cold and snow and snow and not done yet! so not able to hold the needles, but able to read those knitting books? that is really dangerous! how many projects have you picked out so far? you must have quite a list going by now. its always fun. i get myself all super charged and have great ideas and then change my mind so many times that what i finally decide on is not at all what i had originally thought it would be. so many ideas and not enough hours in the day.....

feel better and enjoy your day. happy bady to dad! hope john is feeling better and improving with your new routine.

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 8, 2011 9:56 AM

AndreaW:
... and Zass, I saw you added my name recently on a post too.

Hi Andrea,

Well I guess I'm last here but hopefully you'll see my post.  I am so happy to hear from you.  In fact, just yesterday, I sent that referral message over here from Toni and when I pulled up Socks, then the first post I see is your beginning one and what went through my mind was,

oh where or where can Andrea be, and

how, oh how is she doing?  And

I miss her, I miss her, hope she is better.  So needless to say, I was like "YEAH", she wrote us and is still reachable.  To me, you are a jewel and I am just so glad to know you are (relatively) all right.  I know you can't say perfect health, but you know what I am trying to say I hope.  And hi Wayne too. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 30
on Mar 8, 2011 10:36 PM

Hi All!

Have been peeking in from time to time but haven't had any time to post lately Sad

I hope everyone who is currently "under the weather" finds relief as spring approaches! 

Sharon - I was wondering if you had figured out the toe-up-eye-of-partridge-heel-thing yet?  I have the best intentions to try it out with some scrap yarn, but...you know how it goes Smile .  I am at the heel point in my sock and I love it so far, but I can not seem to find any time to work on it lately.   I don't have single sock syndrome, I have half sock sabotage as every time I try to work on it someone comes up with something else that needs to get made/fixed/finished right away!  I do not think that the people around me truly understand that knitting is one of the things that keeps me from going quietly insane (hope they don't learn the hard way mwahahahah!)

Zoe - be careful with those dangerous books Wink

Night everyone!

Abra

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 9, 2011 6:48 AM

good morning sockers!

abra i did not try the toe up eye of partridge and here's why. i chickned out! simple as that! the socks i was doing were an interesting pattern and i finished them no problem, just following the heel instructions as i have never done a toe up sock before. the first sock went beautifully and i had to rip the second heel out 3 different times. why? because i was not concentrating. hubby had a little setback with his elbow. the one that he broke memorial day and then ended up having surgery on early nov. it swelled up and filled with fluid and he was in the er thanksgiving eve and then admitted to the hospital for iv antibiotics so we spent thanks day there. anyway, all was fine and then 3 weeks ago it swelled again for no reason. back to the er we went and the drained it again and gave him more iv antibiotics, this time he did not have to stay. he went back to his surgeon who changed his anti to a really strong one and told him he had mrsa in the fluid that was drained. not contagious like the skin infection type, but still a little scary. anyway, of course i brought my knitting when we went to the er. did that darn heel 3 times before i finally got it right! the good news is hubby is on the mend and the socks are done. i think i like cuff down socks better. easier to fit them for my. these are for daughters 21 bday and i was able to do them without her seeing. hoping she will love them.

oh and about going quietly insane? i'm right there with you. knitting is my therapy! keeps me sort of focused and a contributing member of society! haha!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
betscgee wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 6:03 AM

Greetings, 'Sockers' this is my first post on my first knitting web site ever...I am a self-taught knitter and self taught socker, and so I often have trouble expressing my knitting thoughts in writing...and understanding the written descriptions/discussions.  So bear with me!

I actually haven't made real socks, but a slipper sock, which I thought would be a good way to get started, especially with all of the fear and trepidation that seems to hover in the air whenever handknitting socks are mentioned.  But I really wanted to give handknitted slippers as gifts-I'm not yet at the level where I want to try knitting a whole sweater, and wanted something useful I could make for the men in my life...(not that there are many of those, sigh,).

I tried knitting and crocheting every possible pattern imaginable that wasn't a true 'sock' pattern...but they always looked great in the picture and really ungainly, lumpy, and just yucky in real life.

So I just stopped by a local knitting shop (well local to my parents home, about 3 hours away in South Carolina) on an impulse, and they had an Encore Worsted Colorspun pattern, and of course the yarn, which is quite nice, soft but not slippery and mashine washable, easy to work with lots of colors...so.  I DID IT!!!  What a feeling when that little heel seems to appear just like magic.  And, how lovely when you find you don't need to  keep your eyes totally glued to the pattern as you make every single stitch of that heel turn.  I can't say as much for the Kitchener stitch, but that's o.k., I'll get there eventually, and that's why they make patterns!

I made a pair for my older brother, and they really weren't bad.  Well, the tops were on the loose side.  I do have a very dangerous habit of frogging and starting over when it's not totally perfect, and I'm guessing that enough of that may have served to stretch out the yarn. My problem is with the gusset.  It seems that when it's time to go back and pick up the 14 stitches, there are either too many or too few.  After dividing for the heel, I slip 1 and K/P across for a total of 25 rows. 

So then I end up with 25 stitches to pick up on either side, not 14. I just went ahead and knitted to make 14 on the last pair, but now I'm not sure how to make them longer without them being too narrow. Is there anyway, with what I've just written, that you can get a sense of what I'm doing wrong?

thanks in advance, and blessings!

Betscgee.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 26, 2011 8:28 AM

betscgee:
I actually haven't made real socks, but a slipper sock,

Hi betscgee,

I wont burst your humbel bubble but you did knit a pair of real socks!!!  congratulations!!!  A slipper sock is just a heavier sock and a loose sock. 

betscgee:
I DID IT!!!  What a feeling when that little heel seems to appear just like magic.
  Chuckles, I think you have been soundly bitten by the sock bug!!

betscgee:
I do have a very dangerous habit of frogging and starting over when it's not totally perfect, and I'm guessing that enough of that may have served to stretch out the yarn. 
   Actually, many knitters are their own worst critics in that they have a driven need to make that item a perfect item and so they will frog until it is perfect.  Most patterns require acurate stitch patterns and so a frog or two is not out of order.  You dont want to stretch out the yarn so much that when the article is washed, the yarn returns to its natural state and the item ends up being shrunk too small.  This is what can happen when the yarn is wool or mostly wool content, unless it is superwash wool.

The gussette nightmare!!!  yikes.  

betscgee:

It seems that when it's time to go back and pick up the 14 stitches, there are either too many or too few.  After dividing for the heel, I slip 1 and K/P across for a total of 25 rows. 

So then I end up with 25 stitches to pick up on either side, not 14. I just went ahead and knitted to make 14 on the last pair, but now I'm not sure how to make them longer without them being too narrow. Is there anyway, with what I've just written, that you can get a sense of what I'm doing wrong?

First of all when you knit 25 rows, you should only have 12 or 13 stitches to pick up on each side of the heel flap to knit the gussette.  This is so because you dont pick up each row, but every other row.  You will pick up the slipped stitch you made at the beginning of the row that is facing you.  If you have opportunity, you want to pick up a book by Ann Budd called "Getting Started Knitting Socks".   It is a great book to assist any one to knit a pair of socks using any weight of yarn.  It is very simple and straight forwards.  I have been knitting socks since I was 10 and I will be 50 this year.

There is only one section of her sock pattern that I can adjust and that is the "gussett hole" that often appears at the place where the gussett meets the instep.  To avoid this, you pick up an extra stitch there by picking up the stitch below the first and last stitch on the instep needle.  I believe most patterns call this needle 2.  Ann Budd says to use a needle and thread and sew the little hole shut.

Dont fret about picking up the exact number of stitches for the gussett.  Generally speaking, you will pick up half the number of stitches as there are rows of the heel flap plus one to eliminate the gussett hole.  As far as how many rows to knit for the heel flap, you will knit the number of rows to comfortably fit over the back of the heel of the person who is wearing the sock.  Too many times the heel flap is not long enough and then there is difficulty in getting the fit right.  Ususally, a person has about 2 1/2 inch heel from the bottom of the heel (where you turn the heel) to the top of the heel bone.  If you need more rows, then go ahead and knit more rows.  After the gussett stitches are picked up, you do decrease on needle 2 on both ends.  You will just continue to decrease until the correct number of stitches are back on the needles as per the pattern.  The heel flap will not end up too narrow for the sock.  Trust me on this one.

Elizabeth Zimmerman gave a really good formula for socks.  (Ann Budd follows the same formula.)   Cast on 48 stitches.  (I am inserting numbers of my own just to show the math.)  Knit the cuff for 2 inches.  Knit the leg for 4 inches.  Knit the heel flap for 24 rows. (Half the number of stitches cast on).  Turn the heel.  Pick up 12 stitches along the heel flap for the gussett.  (Half the number of heel flap rows.)   Continue as per the pattern for decreasing across the instep of the foot until you are back at 48 stitches.  Knit the foot and shape the toe.  Kitchener the toe and wear the sock.  As you can see, math wise the pattern is all divided in half or multiplied by half.  It kind of keeps one on track for sock knitting.  This is just for a sock without any fancy stitch work patterns in it such as lace and cables.

What needles did you use?  A lot of knitters like using circular needles now a days but I do prefer my dpns.  I also like knitting my socks from the cuff down versus the toe up.  I would assume from the way you wrote about the slipper sock, you started at the cuff???  By the way, you did just fine in your explanation of what you did!!  I hope I did equally as well when I replied to you.  Which way do you knit?  I knit continental style but do know how to do both continental and English styles.  I use them both when I knit fair isle or stranded knitting.

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 3:46 PM

hi betscgee,

just checking in to see if you are making progress with your heel and gussett! i second zoe's opinion of ann budd. love her, love her. her patterns are so easy to follow and you come out with a perfect heel. if you have a little gap, don't panic. i weave it in after the sock is done. make sure you weave your yarn end in, tuck in the gap and weave the other end in - no knots allowed in socks. they will find a tender spot on a toe and annoy you!

i'm going post again with a link to mega free sock patterns. so many you will be overwhelmed. but also fun to look at them all and decide what you like. i really liked the mossy cottage one - it calls for eye of the partridge heel, which is fun to do.

i also prefer cuff down sock. they are easier to fit for me. i have done one pair of toe up (alice's illusion socks from free sock link - they were  fun to knit but i prefer cuff down!).

i also prefer dpns to circular. i don't have a problem working with dpns. i like size 0 with fine sock yarn.

good luck with your knitting and let us know how you do!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 3:50 PM

hi betscgee,

i'm back and here is the link to the free sock patterns. this was shared earlier on "socks" and you may have missed it.

the sock i really like, and have made 2 pairs - is the dublin bay sock by mossy cottage.

http://www.knittingpatterncentral.com/directory/socks.php

happy knitting!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 6:03 PM

Hi ALL SOCKERS!!!

hi Sharon, ZassZ, etc,

I am in the city.  Drove John down and he is going into respite care for two weeks.  I will have a needed rest and get some spring cleaning done that I cant do when he is around.

Of course, I want to go over to see Micheals and see what kind of deals I can get! lol always exciting to be around sock yarns and yarns and needles and patterns!!!  now I just need some $$$ in the bank account to pay for all I want!! chuckles.....

Happy knitting, Zoe Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 29, 2011 6:27 PM

hey zoe!

so good to hear from you! i was wondering how you were coming along with john's new treatment, and how your arthritis is doing.

sounds like you are a happy girl picking and poking in michael's. take your time and enjoy it all. so much to see and buy. don't worry about that bank account - we all manage to find that extra money when it comes to yarn purchases!

enjoy your "time off".

happy knitting and shopping,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,801
ZassZ wrote
on Mar 30, 2011 5:08 PM

Hi Zoe, Sharon and all, 

Yeah - you made it - your a city girl now, eh?  Well Big Smile hoping you got all your deals over at the yarn stores.  Don't worry about the spring cleaning, the spring will come and clean will get done. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 6:59 AM

aint that the truth with that pesky sprng cleaning. we dread it, or maybe i say i dread it? but then everything looks so nice when we finally tackle it. if it would only stay that way. and my motto is - god invented closet doors for people like me. things look nice and orderly, but don't you dare snoop! haha!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Apr 4, 2011 5:42 PM

HI All....

Another quick little "Hello" fr me....seems it's all I'm capable of the last few mths. I've had a bad case of the flu since March 17th + it's far fr over now. Haven't even been out of the house since then. Been several yrs since I had the flu....guess it was my turn!?!?

Today I got an email  fr Garnstudio w/ a link to their Easter calendar, It's a bit like an advent calendar @ Xmas in that one "window" opens every day....giving you a little daily gift. Fr Garnstudio....it's a patt for something knitted or crocheted. This one will have all Easter related patts.  Their site also has 1000's of free patts for clothing/ etc. And holidays tend to have little "calendars". Patts are available in many different languages too. Nice site!!!  The 1st patt (today's) was for socks....so I thought it only appropriate to share here:

http://www.garnstudio.com/paskekalender.php?lang=us

I've used their patts + have others printed out "waiting". They have nice patts....different fr what's often available I find.....+ so many to choose from.

Take Care All.... Andrea

Page 70 of 75 (1124 items) « First ...  < Previous  68 69 70 71 72  Next >  ... Last » | RSS