SOCKS

This post has 1,123 Replies | 22 Followers rated by 4 users
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 985
AndreaW wrote
on Sep 10, 2011 12:02 AM

Hi All...

I wanted to share a link for some free sock patts. I picked up the Vogue Knitting Fall issue a few days ago. Starting on page 59 there is a special advertising section showing 7 prs of socks. Called "Sock-Cess". I downloaded 3 of them.  "Vokuhila" + "Smocked Socks" + "Fishnet Cable Sock".  The last 2 have no top ribbing, Sharon...+ the 1st has a fancy rib. I started the Fishnet Cable ones + have about 5" done. Using that Drops fabel sock yarn I got on vacation. The plum colors look so pretty knit up. It's a new yarn for me.

The Smocked Socks remind me of a hat Merlich posted the link for awhile ago. The Waffel Hat fr Pickles site. I checked back there + she has it posted in a new color now. Sort of a lavender instead of the fuschia originally there. Maybe make a nice set sometime?

http://www.vogueknitting.com/Default.aspx?TabId=107

And for anyone who hasn't been to the Vogue site...there are lots of other free patts for many things...just scroll down.

Nite...... Andrea

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 10, 2011 8:17 AM

maren:

with regards to Zoes Barbies: my mom did some really nice garments for barbies using sewing yarn (wool, the type you use for mending socks). she was crazy enough to do top-down raglans with cables sometimes using tooth picks :-) But she had fun and the result was spectacular. Barbie stuff is addictive! It takes a bit to get the hang of it (the proportions are different to humans) but then its soo quick and rewarding.

Hi Maren,  I dont think we have met before on KD?   I apologize if we have, I just dont remember.  I wont have to knit the Barbie outfits on toothpicks because I actually have metal knitting needles the size of toothpicks only longer!!   I have some fingering weight yarns to knit up for them.  Last Christmas I made some tiny clothing items to put on a Christmas wreath and sent it to my son in Vancouver.  It is wonderful to see the little sweaters and socks come about.

Happy knitting, and I am glad you found a way to knit again!!!  ZoëSmile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 10, 2011 8:30 AM

Hi All,

Andrea your red hatter picture is to die for!!!  What a scream!  Nope I have not red hatted yet.

I want to do the Herringbone Lace Socks by Ann Budd.  I noticed that there is no ribbing at the cuff of the sock.  My question is, why?  will the sock not stay up if there is no cuff?  I have  some nice yellow #3 weight yarn for this pair of socks.  (Of course that is my going color at the moment for them, haha!)  Has anyone else knit these socks? 

One of the last warm/hot days this summer.  Then another tomorrow.  Then the weather cools off a bit which will be good weather for me!  I took several bags of crabapples to the food bank on Thursday.  Half the tree is left to pick and that will be done this next week.  I have a guy coming over to help with the higher up branches. 

Happy knitting, Zoë Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 11, 2011 6:55 AM

hi zoe,

i have admired those lace socks also. not done them yet, but i have done a few pair that have a pattern and no rib. the pattern creates a "stretch" to the sock and works as a rib. holds the socks up nicely. i'm thinking this will be the same for your pair? and in yellow - how pretty.

sounds like you have been busy with those crabapples! we're hoping to cool down here also. been a bit too humid the last few days, and more rain today. we need some gorgeous fall weather to dry us out!

reading your posts about barbie clothes. my grandma also knit very pretty fair isle sweaters for barbie. i still haveone and its red and white. so pretty. i did come across a knitting book for barbie clothes, but it did not say barbie. instead it was for 12" fashion doll, or something like that.

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Sep 12, 2011 11:02 AM

hi all,

No going outside for me today!!!  we have a southwest wind blowing and it has been blowing since last evening.  The winds are bringing in all the smoke from fires happening in the US northwestern states.  Winds are to change around from the north later today and bring some rain.  Hopefully it will pass on some of this rain into the fire areas and help with extinguishing them.

Making a loaf of bread in my bread machine.  It makes a nice little loaf for one person for two days.  I really like a hot slice of crust smoothered in butter and strawberry jam!!

I shall knit some more on my socks today.  I feel that I can for a little while anyways!!

Happy knitting, Zoë Smile

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Sep 13, 2011 9:04 AM

hey zoe,

you sound so cheerful! hope that means you are feeling well? and of course what is better than comfort food like home baked bread? yum! so sorry to hear our fires are causing you discomfort! i was surprised to hear there are bad fires in the northern states. all we here about here in nj is the bad ones in texas. we're going to get some nice cool, crisp weather from you this weekend. thank you so much! i am a little tired of that hot, humid weather. i want sun, crisp perfect apple picking weather.

how are your socks coming along? i have been working on my purple lace shawl. fixed a mistake i made and that took most of my knitting time yesterday. oh well, i woke up this morning with a contented feeling that all is good and today i can relax and actually knit!

happy knitting,

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 13, 2011 12:27 PM

Hi ALL:  Just cc'd here to make it easier to not type twice. 

ZassZ:

LindaB48:

do the hip replacement on July 11th. Thank goodness for knitting and books! My knitting has kept me sane. WinkLinda B

Hi LindaB,

Well I have been waiting anxiously for some update on how both you & your hub are doing. Hopefully the surgery is behind you now and he is working on physical therapy?

And to update ALL: (if I type it once, then I can keep hand from getting too sore) While I am not using the hand much, and as Zoe put it - it sure is frustrating. At least chores take twice as long doing them basically one handed and that is a blessing in disguise. Takes more time & more tiring, so by the time I am done with it all take a break and read or look up patterns for future projects. Once I have rested a bit, then i get on my inside stationary bicycle, turn the channel on to the cycling races and before I know it I have cycled with them thru spain & italy and wherever they are up and around and thru the hills and valleys and mountainsides. It takes my mind away from not being able to knit and what do you know? - maybe I'll be trimmer and thinner by the time it's all done! ha ha The exercise does make me feel rejuvenated. By the time I do the billing for h's customers, I can't type much else. He wants to take us on vacation (to keep me from doing stuff around the house), but I would like to wait til my last dr visit & x-raAnd y completely healed, so I can really do what I like and have a great time. So I am trying to stall him and push the date up a little. But I'm still reading here and glad you got your apples half picked Zoe, thanks for the link, and knitting some more on your socks, Andrea too for the cute sheep knitting at the bank - who's idea was that? perfect right across from a knit shop. And Sharon still enjoying her deep purple shawl project. Andrea's Fishnet Cable Socks in plums, 1halfcent thanks for pretty hat pic you shared with us. I remember seeing the Ryan's hat pattern, turned out very nice. WendyJ's fabulous & realistic toys are so artfully done. You know, Linda B makes all sorts of dolls, you should see her collection. If you look back a few pages you'll see her link to where they are. Merlich, how is your h's red pull over coming along, tanks (I counted 5 colors you are doing them in), hats and gloves. I would love to see your "tweedy hat" when you get a chance to pic here. & let us include & thank Wayne for his wonderful latchhook projects.

Well I am tired now, so long ALL for now.

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Sep 15, 2011 5:50 PM

Hi ZassZ,

What a pity you can't do and make all the things you love to. Some times we regret why this could happen to us. If you think different, you would be doing a lot of things but resting and working out. Yes, I know you get tired faster but try to get along with this calmly. I also feel rejuvenated when I just work out or dance not because of the housework which makes us exercise more than a lot. Let your heart and mind feel free when you are on your bike. Think this will end up soon and keep on cheering yourself up, that is the best medicine.

I want to pic my tweed hat later because I also want to make a scarf and a pair of mittens if the yarn is enough. About my hub's pullover, I am now really mad because as he's seen I am done with the back and almost with the front, he's made up his mind and he wants me to unravel it once more and knit it in stocking stitch as it was from the very beginning. I don't know if I'll continue as I am or do what he wants. I am with too much knitting work to make to think about it. I've been asked to knit a especial scarf for a especial lady. I chose mohair from lana grossa. It is Babykid: 60% baby kid mohair and 40% polyamide in three colours, purple, fucsia and ocre. I am making stripes in st st. I hope the person who requested it and the recipient like it. As soon as I finish it I'll post a pic so you can tell me if you think they'll like it or not.

It is good you are searching for new patterns. There are so many beautiful ones.

I wish you the best and try to enjoy yourself.

Take care.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Sep 15, 2011 6:20 PM

Hi there Merlich! 

Yes, I agree, calm is key.  I am thankful I can be positive about it. 

What! ?  is going with unraveling all this knitting!  Oh no - Can you have him decide before you start knitting what he likes?  I have to admire your patience.  Try not to let it frustrate you though.  Maybe on another day he will agree to keep it as it is so you can continue and finish.  

Your Babykin is very nice yarn and I think whoever gets this gift from you should be really happy with it.  Will look forward to the pics of it and your tweed hat later.  I have been looking at patterns and reading posts. 

Picked some yellow peppers from my garden this mid morning and am enjoying watching flowers blooming still.  Some new sunflowers are coming up and they grow so fast, in no time they'll be tall and giving some seeds for the birds and squirrels.  The little squirrel family visits each day to check out the fresh peanuts i put in the feeder in the tree.  

Thank you "hug".

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 407
Merlich wrote
on Sep 15, 2011 8:22 PM

Hi ZassZ,

Well, about the pullover. He thinks, as I am recycling the yarn from a never worn tunic I made for my older son eleven years ago, I'll be running out of yarn and it is a discontinued one from Paton's, baby merino wool. I've been telling him there is a solution. I can finish it as a V neck vest or I can search in my dolls' knitted garments. I am almost sure I knitted a poncho for one of them with the same yarn so, I could recycle that garment too in order to complete his sweater, my doll wouldn't mind to give him her poncho. I'll look for it and weigh it. Besides, I've asked him not to gain weight again.

About the scarf. Thank you. You are very sweet. It is a birthday present from someone else, not from me. I've just been asked to knit it. When I was asked to make it, I made some questions about the likes of the person who will receive the scarf. Then, I thought, this is it:

https://www.elann.com/Commerce.web/product_freepatterns.aspx?featuredID=126170 .

When I was given the money to buy what ever the yarn would be, I was asked not to make an eyelet stitch. I could not think on anything else but stripes. I can tell you that really made me feel sad. I thought they would be very pleased with the one of the link above. Let's wait what happens. I'll show you first when I am done. I am almost done too with another scarf I am knitting for my older son. I'll try to post the pics together and the hat.

How lovely things happen in your garden! We live between three big public gardens and we also can enjoy squirrels, pigeons, crows, a couple of eagles, a couple of green parrots that make me smile with their laughs and, a bunch of different kinds of birds I do not know their names in English. In the gardens grow mushrooms from many different colours. There are also golden ones. That is a surprise for me as I ignored they could be that colour. There used to be two pigeons that liked to follow me, a dove and a light grey with dark grey. Somehow the dove was killed. My husband and my son found it dead in the street one night when they took our dog for a walk, it had her neck broken . Maybe it crashed with the tree near where she was lying. Very sad, it made me cry. The grey one is very funny. It does a lot of things to conquer the female ones. It has also had fought a duel with another pigeon of the same colours. They don't hurt each other. They just push each other until one of them loses balance, which means that is the loser. Very funny.

Great about your yellow peppers. Do you use them in your cooking? I like their taste. The ones I like the most are the red ones. In my opinion they have more intense flavor. I wish I could grow my own vegetables but we live in a small apartment and there is no room to have them separated from my dog.

Have a nice day. There is only fourty minutes for us to celebrate our 201 st. Anniversary of Independence. I'll turn on the TV to watch the Ceremony.

I send you a big hug too.

Patience, persistence and love are the main ingredients for wonderful knittings.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,805
ZassZ wrote
on Dec 22, 2011 4:08 PM

Hi kasiaeryn, I posted you here so you could find this thread.  A lot of sock info here in one place.  Just browse through.  So many questions answered here surely you'll find something helpful as well. 

kasiaeryn:

Hello! I hope someone is awake to help! I am brand new to knitting socks.

I am making top down socks and started on 4 double point needles. I am at the point where I need to start the heel flap.

My instructions had me divide my stitches 16 on needle 1, 8 on needle 2 and 8 on needle three then it tells me to:

"knit across ndl 1, heel flap will be worked on ndls 2/3

row 1: *sl 1, k1, repeat from * across.

row 2: *sl 1, p1, repeat from * across.

work these two rows until you have 16 heel row flaps.

heel flap should be close to square.

end having worked a purl row."

This is my question. I knitted the 16 (on needle 1), then sl1, k1 on needles 2 and 3. Now I am back to needle 1. What do I do? Do I knit, then on needles 2/3, sl1, p1? Or do I sl1, p1 all three needles?

Thanks in advance!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 651
yogama wrote
on Dec 27, 2011 7:21 AM

hi kasiaeryn,

when you get to the heel flap, and you have your stitches divided 16 on needle 1, leave them there!

you will now be working on needle 2 and 3 for the heel flap.

when you finish sl1, k1 on needle 2 and 3, turn and sl1, p1 going back on needle 3 and 2 - as if you were knitting and purling back and forth. you are no longer knitting in the round.

when you get your 16 rows done for the heel flap, you will continue to the next part of your patter, which will be joining the heel to the rest of the stitches you left behind - 16 stitches on needle 1. now you will begin knitting in the round again!

hope this helps and is not too confusing!

sharon

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Dec 27, 2011 10:37 AM

ZassZ:

I am making top down socks and started on 4 double point needles. I am at the point where I need to start the heel flap.

My instructions had me divide my stitches 16 on needle 1, 8 on needle 2 and 8 on needle three then it tells me to:

Hi All,  Merry Christmas everyone!

Just a little note about the heel flap and needles 2 and 3.  In my experience of knitting socks, the heel flap is always knit on one needle and not two needles.  Very likely the pattern writer wrote to do this on two needles just for something different to do.  I have not ever seen a written pattern to knit the heel flap on two needles. (I have been knitting socks for 40 years).  It will be much simpler for you to leave the stitches for the instep on needles 2 and 3 and knit the heel flap on the one needle.  The heel flap is usually always knit on half the number of stitches cast on.  You can also make the heel flap as long or as short as your own heel and not necessarily square.  For myself, I find a longer heel flap is more accomodating and fits better. When you get to the part to pick up stitches along the sides of the heel flap to start knitting the gussett and in the round again, here is a way to avoid making a hole at the top of the gusset on the sides of the heel where the heel flap and gusset meet.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,589
Zoe wrote
on Dec 27, 2011 10:37 AM

kasiaeryn:

Hi All,  Merry Christmas everyone!

Just a little note about the heel flap and needles 2 and 3.  In my experience of knitting socks, the heel flap is always knit on one needle and not two needles.  Very likely the pattern writer wrote to do this on two needles just for something different to do.  I have not ever seen a written pattern to knit the heel flap on two needles. (I have been knitting socks for 40 years).  It will be much simpler for you to leave the stitches for the instep on needles 2 and 3 and knit the heel flap on the one needle.  The heel flap is usually always knit on half the number of stitches cast on.  You can also make the heel flap as long or as short as your own heel and not necessarily square.  For myself, I find a longer heel flap is more accomodating and fits better. When you get to the part to pick up stitches along the sides of the heel flap to start knitting the gussett and in the round again, here is a way to avoid making a hole at the top of the gusset on the sides of the heel where the heel flap and gusset meet.

http://wisehilda.blogspot.com/2010/01/on-picking-up-gusset-stitches-avoiding.html

Happy knitting, ZoëSmile

Page 75 of 75 (1124 items) « First ...  < Previous  71 72 73 74 75 | RSS