help - how to do the "Invisible Ribbed Bind Off"

This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
mtdish wrote
on Apr 6, 2010 12:52 PM

11-23-2009, Kathleen posted "Binding Off: Intermediate and Advanced Techniques".  I'd really like to try the Invisible Ribbed Bind Off but I can't seem to get it. Here are the instructions ---

Work this bind-off with a tapestry needle. Cut the yarn three times the width of the knitting to be bound off, and thread onto a tapestry needle. Working from right to left, insert tapestry needle purlwise (from right to left) through the first (knit) stitch (Step 1) and pull the yarn through, bring the tapestry needle behind the knit stitch, insert it knitwise (from left to right) into the second (purl) stitch (Step 2) and pull the yarn through, *use the tapestry needle to slip the first knit stitch knitwise off the knitting needle, insert tapestry needle purlwise into the next knit stitch (Step 3) and pull the yarn through, slip the first stitch purlwise off the knitting needle, then bring the tapestry needle behind the knit stitch, insert it knitwise into the next purl stitch (Step 4), and pull the yarn through. Repeat from *.---

I understand the first 2 steps but after the  * , I'm lost.  Does "to slip the first knit stitch knitwise off the knitting needle", using the sewing needle, mean to pull the thread through knitwise & slip off the knitting needle?  The picture is of no help (I think it may be wrong).  I continue to get confused from here.  Can anyone help me?  I think if It was explained differently, I may get it.  I feel I'm on the verge :)

Thanks, Michelle
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,806
ZassZ wrote
on Apr 6, 2010 6:42 PM

MichelleS@37,

This will help you out.  Click on "Glossary" (on the brown bar) at top of Knitting Daily page.  Scrobb down to the B's and find the topic "Binding Off"

Click there will take you to "Suitable Ending:  Bindoff" and there is a nice article with pictures if you go down to Sewn Bindoff on that page.

The instructions are easy to follow and clear illustration.  Hope you will get help from it. 

And all the women who were wise of heart spun with their hands, and they kept bringing as yarn the blue thread and the wool dyed reddish purple, the coccus scarlet material and the fine linen.   Ex. 35:25 

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mtdish wrote
on Apr 7, 2010 6:19 AM

thanks for the response ZassZ but tht's where the instructions are from, including the Step 3 diagram that messes me up!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mtdish wrote
on Apr 7, 2010 6:19 AM

thanks for the response ZassZ but that's where the instructions are from, including the Step 3 diagram that messes me up!!

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 31
qwer246 wrote
on Jan 10, 2013 5:14 PM

If you are still having problems with the invisible ribbed bind off go onto youtube.com and watch knit 1 purl 1 bind off by candace eisner strick, this video will show you how to do the invisible ribbed bind off in detail,I have already watched this video and it helped me.Although it does not show the next technique in this video,you need to knit the knit stitches and slip the purl stitches on the first row first then on the second row you need to turn the work on the wrong side to purl the purl stitches and slip the knit stitches before you do the invisible ribbed bind off hope this helps and let me know how you get on.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS